back to article Pininfarina, Bolloré bullish about Bluecar

It seems it's not all quite doom and gloom on the Pininfarina B0 front. Pininfarina Bollore BlueCar Pininfarina/Bolloré's Bluebar: no longer the B0 While not having a working prototype to show at the Geneva Motor Show this week, Vincent Bolloré – whose company, Bolloré SA, is partner with Pinifarina in Véhicules …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh my god!

Did someone make a bet that you couldn't produce a vehicle uglier than the Pontiac Aztek? Because if so, he just lost.

Also, the drooling, obsessive coverage of every 75-mile-range, overpriced, will-never-be-produced hunk of fiberglass out there is getting REALLY old.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Bluecar?

But it's white?

3. Mike Flugennock
    Coat

All together now, guys...

...does the "roadside assistance" deal include the tall French chick in the black outfit?

Thankyuh, thankyuhvurymuch.

4. Mike Flugennock
    Coat

@ David Wiernicki re: Pontiac Aztek

Uglier than the Aztek? How about the Scion -- (I forget who makes it) an SUV that's so goddamn' ugly I have to avert my eyes to avoid melting them out of my head by accident, a vehicle so flat-out nasty-looking that it ought to be shot and put out of its misery.

Besides, never mind the goddamn' _car_... y'get a load of that "roadside assistance"?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Oooh!

Italian engineering! With electricity for added, er, pizzazzap!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Mike Flugennock

I'll grant you that the Scion isn't particularly beautiful, but to my eyes it can in no way compare to the overwhelming horror of the Aztek. I still remember the Aztek launch, where one was presented to the hapless Tiger Woods - who, with true grit, said, "Oh, wow - this thing is wild". That was probably about the only true thing you could say about it that isn't a direct insult to the designer...

That said, I'm told that the thing is actually quite a nice car - as long as you're inside it.

The only other true competition for the Aztek is probably the Chevy Avalanche, a plastic abortion of a pickup so awful it almost defies belief. It's like the bastard child of a truck, a power drill, and a frat boy's boom box. Ye gods.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You might sell that to the some, but not me

You might sell Fugly to some, but I wouldn't be caught within a hundred yards of that crap.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

In Defense of Italia

RE: Oooh! By Anonymous Coward

Come on now. The Italians have excelled in engineering design in several fields. Like..um..oh..err..uh - Shoes!

9. Andy
    Thumb Up

to all the naysayers here

The Bluecar has a very respectable range of 250km (~150 miles) and a decent top speed of 130km/h (~80mph), while looks and style are a matter of taste and granted the pictures in this article are not very flattering, the Blucar looks actually quite nice in the flesh, see also here for some better pictures:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/11/19/pininfarina_production_shift/page2.html

If Pininfarina/Bollore actually deliver as promised, then this will likely be a very successful electric car, which can meet the real life needs (with regards to range and practicality) of many people.

10. Evil_Medic
    Stop

@Mike Flugennock

Scion is a brand produced by Toyota.

There are multiple models, however, I beleive you are referring to the low- slung jello-cube-on-wheels known as the Scion xB.

Anyway, my vote would be for the '74 Bond Bug. Google it, ya' KNOW ya' wanna.

11. Pete James

Wrong name

They've missed a trick here.

Fit it with a semi auto 'box and they could have called it the B0 Selecta.

I'll make my own way out, thanks.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Andy

"The Bluecar has a very respectable range of 250km (~150 miles) and a decent top speed of 130km/h (~80mph),"

Really? But since they don't appear to have a working prototype that they are willing to share with anybody we only have their word for that don't we?

I'm also getting sick of these claims for range. Manufacturers of IC powered cars have to quote fuel economy for urban, extra urban and combined cycles. It's about time EV manufacturers were forced to quote the same figures in miles/kWh or something similar. I'd also be keen to see miles per hour of charging. Range on a full charge is a pretty meaningless figure on it's own. We don't know how the car was driven to achieve this.

For EVs with regenerative braking the figures have the potential to mislead even more. On an urban journey where you use the brakes a lot you're going to get a very different range from that achieved on a long motorway journey. For that reason quoting economy for the urban an extra urban cycles is probably more important for EVs than IC powered cars.

So until some standard way of measuring comes along I'll wait to see what the roadtests say rather than listening to a salesman's weasel words.

13. Tim

hmmm

The car is a blend of the bland and the ugly, especially so for a major styling house, I thought they would go for something aerodynamic.

Disappointingly, the cutie isn't up to the Namir Leccycar's standards set last week either.

Tim#3

14. Stu
    Pirate

@David Wiernicki

Yes indeedy they are horiffic examples of automative 'innovation' anybody could conjure up.

And I thought my common/garden 90s Vauxhall Corsa (B model), long since sold off, was the fugliest thing I ever laid eyes on. For some inane reason I actually thought it looked okay at the time, and bought it!

But yes, the bluecar looks worse even than a Corsa. Goes to show you can't sell a (non super-) car at a tradeshow any more without having to pay some hot chick to drape herself over it to make it look semi-respectable. This hotty looks positively professional looking, she's not even showing (significant) cleavage.

@Sarah Bee - we're allowed to be a little chauvanistic once in a while are we not?! ;-)

15. John

what car?

Seriously, there's a car in the pictures? Oh, you mean the thing the woman is standing beside.

Scion xB is excellent looking at a distance (just needs diagonal red stripes), but is really a yaris in drag.

This topic is closed for new posts.