back to article Feds demand Obama scam ads crackdown

US federal regulators are telling online advertisers like Google and Facebook to crack down on scam artists that are promising users a personal slice of Obama's $787bn economic stimulus package. Fraudster ads and emails have mushroomed in recent weeks tempting debt-laden patsies with the quick fix of "free" stimulus grant …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The government hates competition...

The government is only cracking down on them because it does not like competition. Personally, the people who are stupid enough to fall for these cons were the same ones who bought a house they could not afford, voted for obama, etc. Absolutely no sympathy for them.

2. MnM
    Flame

eeeeengleesh

I was happily reading this article until 'the FTC has already reached out to Facebook and Google'. I've heard a lot of this misplaced Reached Out business from septics lately. I'm reaching out to the author, right here, right now, and implore: reach out to your countryfolk one last time and ask them to stop evolving our language. It's not yours, you aren't helping, and you don't even believe in evolution anway. 'Contact' will do just fine.

3. Sureo
    Paris Hilton

Time to turn the screws

This is a great opportunity for the authorities to take out some of those scam artists and put them where they belong, in prison. What are they waiting for?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Those looking for a handout will be disappointed

Obama and friends don't have a clue what they are doing so I wouldn't stand by the phone waiting for the call that your check is in the mail.

5. Moss Icely Spaceport
    Alert

Scam adverts eh?

Some people might step in doggie-doo on a sidewalk.

Many people avoid doing this.

Some people click on 'it's too good to be true' type adverts

Many people avoid doing this.

Can you spot the pattern yet?

No?

Then <click here to win an a gold plated iPod>

6. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

@Moss Icely Spaceport

Very funny, your link does not work :(

7. Tom
    Flame

Of course the scammers are after the Obamanauts

Idiots who believed what he was selling in the last election will believe anything.

Although it does look like Team Obama is trying hard to place the spammers in productive jobs. Just look at their press release at http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Womens-History-Month-2009/

8. Eddie Johnson
    Flame

Excuse Me?

>"It doesn't benefit anyone to go to a legitimate website and get pitched by scam artists," Harrington said.

How stupid can you be? Clearly it benefits SOMEONE. I'll venture to say it benefits 2 of the 3 parties involved. Its a shame government devotes pretty much all its energy now to the defense of the stupid. No wonder the world is devolving.

9. BioTube

I agree

If your contract states that you won't provide any of the services offered, then anybody who signs it gets what they deserve. Just charge these companies for the use of Comrade Obama's image and they might pay for the stimulus.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like