back to article Asus cracks out of its shell with Air-esque Eee PC

Asus stuck with its beside-the-seaside theme this week when it unveiled its latest 10in Eee PC netbook, the 1008HA, at Cebit. Asus Eee 1008HA Asus' Eee 1008HA: inspired by MacBook Air? The 1in-thick device weighs in at 1.1kg and has a 92 per cent scaled keyboad. Asus chairman Jonney Shih said the device took its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Edward Noad
    Paris Hilton

Been Too Long!

Haven't seen that picture for ages, unless I just wasn't paying attention.

Paris, because she doesn't know which picture I'm talking about.

2. Robert E A Harvey
    Dead Vulture

important info missing

OK, it has more than one microphone.

But does it have an ethernet port? USB x ? Firewire ? is there a dvdwriter in the box ? is the battery swappable ?

It ain't news without facts.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

What are you waiting for!!

I hope El Reg is pestering them for a review copy of the new Netbook.

And I would like to offer my services in reviewing the model; just send her to my place and expect her back in a few months (if ever).

Paris, I would love to strip her down and see what makes her tick !!!

4. Daniel Silver badge
    Happy

Eee everywhere

I heard that the Soviet bloc is getting in on the Eee act as well - a Yorkshire entrepreneur signed a deal this week which will see the little computers being manufactured under license by the Russian state department store GUM.

They'll be known as the Eee by Gum.

Right - coat, yep the greatcoat with the red star please.

5. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Coat

I think my kkkkeyboard ssssshhhhortttttteedddd

from drooling over this device (the device, NOT the babe (honest(really!)))

6. Anonymous John
    Happy

Yay!

She's back.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I thought SRS

was airbags?

Surely the model holding it was equipped with a full stereo pair?

8. W

"a 1l desktop PC"

A 1 litre desktop PC?

[Insert cloud/liquid/water/rain joke here]

9. Dan

prices?

that is all

10. Stuart
    Coat

Smaller, cheaper, faster ...

Errrr ... that was what the eeepc is supposed to be about. Big brothers are fine but I'm feeling distinctly uneasy about the lack of successor for the 701/901 footprint and SSD systems. Don't bloat Asus!

Cos' coat pockets don't get bigger.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Styled after Aspire One + Air

That styling looks to have been take straight from the Aspire One. The white "pearlescent casing", with shiny black trim around the screen, the recessed rounded oblong power button etc There are other touches which can be attributed to the Air and maybe other products too. Designers at Asus don't have much imagination do they?

12. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Thumb Up

She's back!

Is it my imagination or does she look a little older than i remember?

13. barth

Too many eees

Actually, I think they're creating some confusion, with too many models, especially with very different eeePCs differentiated by just 1 letter, ie 1000HE vs 1000HA

14. Shane McCarrick

Looks sexy!

Any word on the specs? Looks sexy- and I don't mean missy on the beach towel.......

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bur whither CeBIT?

Slightly off topic but can we be told how big (or otherwise) CeBIT is compared with previous years? Given the current financial contre temps?

p.s. nice pic

16. Steve Evans

@reg website guru...

I think you need to slap your "related" products bit about.

The top three it linked to on dabs were...

# Asustek 8.9" Eee PC 1GB 20GB Linux Black - £224.04

# Asustek EEE PC 900 1GB 16G SSD Linux White - £202.78

# Asustek EEE PC 901 1GB 12G SSD XP Black - £299.98

The first two are discontinued, and the third is out of stock for 3-4 weeks and £247.50 inc vat

17. Nicholas Ettel
    Paris Hilton

She doesn't include...

"A description which could equally be applied to the model the vendor had parading the device in front of journalists at Cebit. However, she doesn't include a digital array mic, SRS Premium Sound, 1.3Mp camera, or 802.11n, Bluetooth and WiMax connectivity."

Perhaps those are true, but I bet she still has her standard female-connection I/O port. Whereas, I have my standard male-connection I/O plug.

PH: she knows all about male-to-female connections.

18. Dan
    Thumb Down

Oh dear...

the number of uber-nerds making fnarr-fnarr-type jokes about the girl just shattered my illusion that modern tech-geeks actually had any social skills - back to the geeky stereotype.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

2TB Nas Box

tell me more...

20. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

WTF

Why is it that is someone produces a slightly this or that computer is ripping of A or B

I dont hear anyone claiming the latestes GM, Toyota etc is a blatant rip of a car that Henry Ford or Mr Daimler once produced?

innvoation died out when "personal computing" when from niche/boutique manufacturers to the day when IBM crashed the party and made everything corporate and beige!

and, no one ever seems to day Paris Hilton, she is just like some other **** from the the 50s?

21. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Re; Oh dear...

Excluding any social skills for a moment she does have a great rack!!!

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Robert E A Harvey

>But does it have an ethernet port? USB x ? Firewire ? is there a dvdwriter in the box ? is the battery swappable ?

Firewire is well dead matey, but yes on swappable battery, it has 2x USB & a 10/100 eth.

Other missing details of interest.....

Screen is a 10" 1024 X 600, it has a multi-touch trackpad, VGA port & SD reader - CPU is a 1.6odd Atom.

......and like most of the more recent Asus EEE PC line, it is actually manufactured by Quanta - the same folk who make the MacBook Air.

23. Gis Bun
    Boffin

Another Eee

Asus had announced that they had release too many models already that looked similar to each other and were trying to standardize on some components [the popular 1000He uses the same casing as some older models now].

Someone asked about features. I don't think any netbooks have an optical drive. The typical Asus netbook system has 1GB of memory [up to 2GB - limitation of the processor], probably has the N280, probably 3 USB ports, mic and headphone jacks, touchpad, VGA port and the typical 1024*600 resolution.

If it's like the 1000HE, it has a typical battery life of 7 hours - tweakable to 9.5 hours. Probably initially Win XP with a possible Linux model.

Now can someone fix the typos?

24. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Huzzah!

Oh, sorry, very nice piece of kit. Sorry! I mean attractive finish that just cries out to be stroked...I'll get my coat.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like