back to article Apple laptop ignites marketing department

Staff at a London-based marketing firm had a lucky escape recently, when one worker’s Apple laptop caused some serious issues for the IT department. PowerBook_fire_01 The PowerBook, shortly before it went bang Images courtesy of Vnunet The machine – thought to be a PowerBook, according to a report by the Inquirer – caught …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LaeMi Qian
    Flame

Computer says...

...Waaaghhhhh! Put me out! Put me out! OOh it hurts, it hurts so!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

Thus are the risks

When a manufacturer recalls batteries and offers a free replacement it's best to take them up on that offer immediately. The company I was working for when Apple initially offered this program chose to err on the side of caution and swap every battery that was covered under the arrangement. Fortunately we never had an issues with our PowerBooks before or during the time were having them replaced. Yes it inconvenienced some of our users but after explaining to them the risks involved the complaints quickly evaporated. Oddly enough the only issue we had with over heating battery was one HP laptop, there was a sizable hole burned through the case and the user got a couple nasty burns trying to get the laptop to a safer location.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Guess this is why Apple 'suppoesedly' ...

is virus proof.

4. evilbobthebob
    Jobs Horns

Darn

And there was me hoping it had set fire to Apple's marketing department...

5. Mick F
    Jobs Horns

Cheap Crap

It probably committed suicide.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Not surprised

Over-hyped over-priced low-quality Apple equipment. Get a real computer!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch...

"Apple provided owners of said machines free replacement power packs. It's not known if the owner of the detonating PowerBook took the company up on its offer"

Right, and probably, like many who insist on having Macs, the owner didn't have clue #1 about their machine other than "It was, like, y'know, the silver one".

And they worked in Marketing...

R.

8. MacRat

Apple Battery

Also not known if it was a 3rd party battery?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

They just work...

lol

10. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Timing

Just as I read this article, there was an ad for the latest macbook on't telly!!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Replacement battery?

Oh wait, it's apple, so they would have had to ship it back to them to get the battery changed. No wonder they didn't bother.

12. James O'Shea
    Pirate

revenge of the sales staff

One too many cattle prods, one too many mentions of 'coloured pencils', eh? It's not just the PFY and the BOFH who can have fun with computers...

13. Matt

Powerbook G4

looks to be a late G4 15" powerbook... judging by the battery, a 1.67ghz like mine... they were in the battery recall for exploding batteries so could well be slacking off in the IT department!

and as for old... pah! they still make an excellent workhorse!

14. Chronos
    Joke

At least...

...now they can change the battery ;o)

15. Bad Beaver

Whatever

Who knows. Maybe they did not exchange the battery back then. Maybe they bought one of those awfully cheap replacements. Nobody got hurt. Who cares.

16. GottaBeKidding
    Flame

Fire Extinguisher

You're unlikely to be put in this situation, however...

Be *very* *very* careful before thinking of using a normal fire extinguisher on a lithium battery fire.

Most fire extinguishers, throwing water over it, throwing soil over it will make matters worse. If possible, leave it to burn out (after having called the relevant authorities). Essentially, it's like a chip pan fire but with a lot more energy.

17. Adrian Esdaile
    Flame

If it was in the marketing department....

Couldn't the IT guys have waited until the fire had really taken hold, and removed a few marketroids from the planet?

They should loose marks for that! Unless they caused some juicy colateral damage to the other shiny apples there.

I also not the packet of Bolvian Marching Powder disguised as 'Panadol' on the table. Nice.

18. Pete
    Flame

Powerbook batteries

To those morons trying to be funny with the 'at least they can change the battery/have to ship it back to change the battery' comments.

All powerbooks and 1g macbooks/macbook pros had user changeable batteries.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But Apple is so superior

Hey Apple fanboys - IN YOUR FACE!

Just as bad as Microsoft.

20. J
    Coat

I always knew...

...the "Mac" guy on the commercials was of the flaming variety..

21. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Do people still use those things?

...check out the Rolodex on the desk. At least they aren't likely to spontaneously combust - just become collateral damage if they're too close to a battery letting go.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Where there's smoke...

/the asbestos one, of course

23. David Kairns

Apple Is All About Quality...

...curves on its cheap ass white plastic cases.

24. kain preacher

A computer explodes in marketing

Are we sure this was an accident ?? If this were MS marketing dept I would have no question that it was intentional. But then again an exploding mac at MS would always be suspect .

25. Frank

Fire Procedures?

The laptop starts to give off smoke, so they call the IT department ?! Well ok, they are marketing people so they can't be expected to know much.

The IT guy, having been told that the laptop (powered by a lithium battery) has been giving off smoke, then 'gives it a once-over' and puts it back on the desk (presumably turning it on to see if it works). Maybe it's because he's an Apple-IT guy, does that explain it?

What happened to common sense and the instinct for self preservation? These things are known to be a fire/explosion risk. Admittedly this risk is small but it is well documented and you can even watch examples of them going up in smoke and flames on You Tube.

26. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

AppleCentre:Report received. Virus confirmed.

AppleCentre:You are reminded of AppleMantra 22: Apple Computers don't get viruses

AppleCentre:You are reminded of AppleMantra 22: Apple Computers don't get viruses

AppleCentre:You know what you must do.

AppleCentre:You know what you must do.

AppleCentre:You will never be forgotten. Your serial number will be recorded on the Wall of the Fallen in Apple HQ.

AppleCentre:Sucker!

27. Chris P

Whoops

I wonder if it was one of the free replacements that exploded?

They will keep having things made in China though. Oh well.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like