back to article Boffins to unveil gesture-controlled 3D TV

A 3D TV with incorporated gesture-based controls is set to be unveiled in Germany next month. 3D_gesture_TV The iPoint: boasts a 3D display with gesture controls The futuristic iPoint 3D TV allows people to interact with the display through simple non-contact gestures. They don't have to wear those silly specs either, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alex Gollner
    Alert

How does it know where your eyes are?

The viewer's hand is one point the TV needs to follow. To simulate direct manipulation, you need to simulate parallax be knowing where the viewers eyes are.

On the other hand gesture controlled vision means that images can be presented anywhere - walls, ceilings, curtains.

<moderate this>

I wrote about this back in October:

http://alex4d.wordpress.com/2008/10/11/multitouch-parallax-gives-you-3d-airtouching/

</moderate this>

Alex4D

2. Richard
    Thumb Down

Pfft!

Button based remotes are good enough for me thanks.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

And just think...

... as people leap out of their seats and wave their arms frantically around, just as the deciding penalty is taken at the World Cup........it changes channel.

Yup seems like a good idea to me!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

gaffer tape not included....

Seeing that women cant talk without waving their hands about, I can foresee that watching TV whilst the wife yaps away is going to be an interesting challenge.

5. Stef

For the sake of it.

While part of me thinks it looks like quite a cool advancement, the rest of me thinks it is just technology for the sake of technology. The over exaggerated hand movements and endless spinning just to replicate a couple of button presses on a remote.

This kind of work is an obvious necessity as a stepping stone to better things, but at the moment it is just there because they can do it rather than it being needed.

6. Craig
    Happy

Good idea but....

How well is this going to work when my two daugthers are dancing like mad infront of the TV?

Also will you be able to setup custom gestures for specific channels such as the xxx channel?

Prizes for the best channel/gesture combination??

7. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

About time to

"a housewife kneading pastry could turn down a pan of boiling potatoes or turn the lights up without leaving floury handprints all over the kitchen."

It can be very trying reminding them to clean up their floury hand prints after they have cooked you dinner.......

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Evolution of the HID

Typing by sign language! how cool would that be!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Futurama?

"For example, a housewife kneading pastry could turn down a pan of boiling potatoes or turn the lights up without leaving floury handprints all over the kitchen."

Why I am I reminded of the Futurama episode where the oven's main selling point was that it also provided the tired housewife with a footbath ...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Finally.

I've been making gestures at the TV for years, I dread to think what it's going to do now it can understand them.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh dear...

I can see Apple or Microsoft trying to take this one to court. Licencing tennis anyone?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Sit still, damnit!

Just wave your arm in its general direction and hope, I suppose?

Paris since one can always, er, hope...

13. D@v3
    Black Helicopters

hmmmmmmm

TV's with cameras built into them, sounds like one (small) step away from the much loathed Orwellian Telescreen to me.

14. Dick Emery

3D or not 3D

I really want to see the latest incarnation of 3D TV's that do not require you to wear glasses. The last one I saw was several years ago and used a system similar to those old 3D photos where you turned it in one direction and it produced a 3D effect. Lenticular that was it.

It did not look too great back then. I wonder how the technologies have developed.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Already got it at home

Except in my lovely cheap homebrew system you need a light-glove for any real range and a pair of polarising specs for the 3D. But the point is the functionality is there. And it's really impressive for, say, spinning Google Earth around or showing off if people come round. Maybe rotating static graphs, basic data manipulation.

Unfortunately, it's utterly useless for the 3D visualisation as shown- rotating is a PITA as there's nothing to get a hold of- and because of that there's no real way to make sure you're correctly anchored to the object. Then it doesn't spin at the right rate (though that's probably a limitation of my rig...) and anything more advanced (say, applying a force to a wheel in Pro/E Mechanism) needs either a plugin or some seriously complex gesture controlled command-macro system.

I can see this making it into some films, maybe an episode of Cribs or two. Maybe even that Star Trek Flat guy's next home. But as someone who's used something very similar, I've gotta say it's just a gadget without a load of practical applications. At least until plugins are created to support it.

When they can add in Force Feedback it'll be a far more useable system.

16. Martin Lyne

Housewives

Housewives can now reengineer suspension systems while stood up without having to worry about mice and keyboards. Thank you boffins!

Also: Wasn't there a gesture TV a few weeks ago? Adding 3D barely seems worth mentioning..

17. Chris
    Thumb Up

Already got it

Well, the gesture part anyway. And it only works for her - she wags her fingers at me, and the channel changes from sports to some drama or other.

18. Mark Wylie
    Coat

activation gestures

"For example, a housewife kneading pastry could turn down a pan of boiling potatoes or turn the lights up without leaving floury handprints all over the kitchen."

Except you have to waggle your hands rapidly in front of it to get it's attention, spraying said pastry all round the room anyway...

The interface technology for vocal and gestural control is all quite mature, what is missing is the machine intelligence to make the interface as intuitive as communicating with another human.

Mines the one with the oven gloves on a string through the sleeves.

19. spam
    Thumb Down

Rigth

So we are going to be standing in front of TVs flailing about like windmills?

Voice recognition and control would be more usable and useful but facing the same kind of problems doesn't work like this system won't work.

Having a fundamentally stupid idea is one thing, why companies spend money developing and demonstrating fundamentally stupid ideas is beyond me.

20. Andus McCoatover
    Unhappy

Party Political Broadcast?

Yup, Brown or one of his cronies come on, and I reply with the apropriate hand-gestures "waar-a-load-a-wan...." - oh, shit, now I've got Sky...

This topic is closed for new posts.