back to article Campaigners nail amphibians to Google Earth

Campaigning group Froglife has nailed toads to Google Earth as part of its "Toads on Roads" campaign to identify the UK's "700 amphibian crossing points" and help drivers preserve our indigenous fauna by not running the poor blighters over. The map (details here) highlights, for example, 60 locations in Norfolk, including this …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gianni Straniero
    Go

Toad tunnel

These wardens could empty the toad bucket and use it to collect spare change instead. Then they could follow the example of Davis, CA, where they've built a toad tunnel. At $14,000, and with interior lighting that bakes the toads to death, it was a worthy investment.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

really?

this almost makes tubgirl look normal

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Campaigners reveal toad mashup", surely?

And could you get back to and ask Froglife just what's behind their apparent mission-creep? Were Toadlife too busy, or did they not manage to cross the road either?

4. Dale

Darwin

Sounds like a Darwin Award moment for the frogs. Surely natural selection will favour the ones that have a genetic predisposition for looking right, left and right again.

5. Jack Harrer
    Joke

Time to play...

Frogger - do you still remember? Now with 600 new levels ;)

6. Inachu
    Thumb Up

On another topic using google earth: ATLANTIC IS FINALLY FOUND!

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=31.696214,-24.180614&z=7&t=h&hl=en

Awsome ay???

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

in australia...

map where toads cross would be good for australia but for the opposite reason.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Darwin part 2

Surely if they can cross the road to get away from the pond, crossing the road again to go home shouldn't be a challenge ?

9. Stuart Halliday
    Unhappy

Nice idea half way implemented

Why use Google Earth?

Why not Google Maps?

That way I don't have to install anything, I just go to a URL!

Daft.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Toad Warden

No sarcastic comments about toad wardens please. I used to be a 'Toad Road warden' when I was a nipper. It's very rewarding work if you can get it.

However, I have been left emotionally scarred several times over when not being able to quite rescue said toad. **flashback of extremely comprehensive squashings**sweating**

Indeed, the psychological burdens placed on a 10yr old having to triage a caseload of multiple frisky froggies who decide to take their gamble across said highway all at the same time cannot be underestimated.

Some respect please to those who gallantly fight the good froggie fight.

11. Eddy Ito

Splendid

Knowing where they are will certainly make them much easier to catch. Now we just need some butter, garlic, a little parsley...

12. Neoc
    Thumb Down

Wrong purpose

As an Australian, I'd go out of my way to swerve on as many of the little buggers as I can. With glee. And malice of forethought. And be cheered on by the rest of the country.

Guess it depends where you live.

This topic is closed for new posts.