back to article Woolies Pic'n'Mix bows out with eBay auction

The last bag of Woolworths legendary Pic'n'Mix has popped up on eBay, the Telegraph reports. The last bag of Pic N Mix The 800g bag - containing faves such as fizzy cola bottles, white mice and rhubarb & custards - was bought by Ed Adams, former manager of Woolies Petts Wood branch. He explained: "I spotted at least a bag's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. W

"these difficult times"

Let's be absolutely clear about this, "these difficult times" is really annoying overdone phrase.

Just like "Let's be absolutely clear about this".

2. Neil
    Coat

Only £360

So it was actually a bit cheaper than the normal retail cost of a bag of Wollies pick n' mix then?

3. Adam Foxton
    Thumb Up

£360 for 800g?

Given that the remaining pic 'n' mixes are mostly cinemas now, the winner just got a bargain!

4. Pete Silver badge

failure was their biggest success

The ironic thing about Woolies was the huge amount of interest (and sales) they generated during their death throes. If, somehow, they had managed to get even a fraction of that sales volume while still a going concern, they'd be one of our most successful retailers - instead of a bankrupt and shut-down flogger of tat.

Is this simply a case of "you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone" or does it demonstrate the power of publicity, to get punters through the doors? If anyone knows the answer, they'll make a fortune.

5. Tony

Euuugghhh

These will be all the odds & ends that dropped down behind the plastic bins - they will be mixed up with the mice droppings, fluff balls, broken fingernails, kids dried spittle and the stale sugar dropping off the other items over the previous 3 or 4 years.

Luvverley

6. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

No title

Any 'tasters' available, just in case?

7. Nic Brough
    Coat

Nice!

It's worth more than Woolies itself ;-)

Mine's the one with the bag of those little brightly coloured slightly fizzy ones you never knew the name for.

8. Ray

Lifeline for retail workers?

I know, it's easy to say when it doesn't affect you, but come on...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Item withdrawn from sale...

'parently someone stole the sweets from the pick n mix.....

10. Dennis
    Unhappy

Woolies Pic'n'Mix - euck

In the past Woolies Pic'n'Mix was quite good. In the distant past it was very good. But about 18 months ago the supplier of Pic'n'Mix changed and the current stuff is horrid. And it's the same supplier to the cinemas. Euck. Whether it's in pristine condition or mixed with fluff it's still just rat food.

PS, Does anyone know if it's possible to get Bassett's Wine Gums in the UK?

11. Apocalypse Later

Not the last

According to my other favourite site, hotUKdeals.com, much of the Woolies pick 'n' mix has ended up in the Home Bargains discount shops. It is a lot cheaper there, though I doubt the proceeds will go to charity.

The true inheritor of the Woolworth business, though, is Wilkinsons, and yes, they have pick 'n' mix.

12. Neil

The penultimate bag of pic and mix...

....because I've still got a bag here with sweeties in it from Woolies!

Off to ebay

13. John H Woods Silver badge

Mouse dropping, spittle, broken fingernails ...

They don't have to be the ones that have dropped behind the bins to have contaminants like this. I think you'll find that insect faeces is a rather more common component than that of the murine variety but you are along the right lines.

14. Dom
    Coat

hmmmm

£2,050,300.00!

I have a small bar of Cadbury's chocolate - guaranteed the last here!

Cash only...

15. Pierre
    Coat

These difficult times...

... apparently started a handful of billion years ago (the real billion, not the watered-down I-cant-spell-milliard Yank erzatz) and will last for a couple more. Presumably. The kind of expression that gets you the "I'm all hot air" sticker.

Also, hard time for retailers indeed. They might have to wait a few more month before getting their third Porsche. Poor sods. I hope these 400 quids will help. World's smallest violin etc

I'm off to feast on my Ramen leftovers.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Winning bid £14500.10

See, that could have saved a store.

17. Danny

winning bid...

Just for the record the winning bid was £14,500.10. They must really have a sweet tooth. (Okay, it was all in aid of the Retail Trust charity.)

£10m bid? Oh, how the hoax bidders must have laughed.

18. TeeCee Gold badge

Not right.

It came in a bag and cost nearly 15 grand?

That ain't pick 'n mix.

Any fule kno that pick 'n mix comes in blazer pockets* and costs f*** all.

*Warning: Real pick 'n mix can be quite fluffy and may contain conkers.

19. Thomas Kent
    Unhappy

Re: "Woolies Pic 'N' Mix..."

What? No licorice allsorts?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like