back to article US gooses economy with IT billions

The $787bn American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA), signed Tuesday by US president Barack Obama, contains significant chunks of cash targeted towards IT spending. Some of the line items are relatively straightforward, such as over $1bn for IT upgrades at the Social Security Administration, State Department, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James Woods
    Flame

gotta love it

I've used this same title before. How is it that we can go from a country our grandparents and their parents built for us via the private sector to a country where the government is taking our wealth and wealth that we don't even have and giving it to "selected private industry".

I've read the motivations for the broadband investments. It's to put broadband where private sector said it's not economically feasible because they won't have a suitable return on the investment. I guess this is what you get from a President that never ran a lemonade stand let alone a business that actually had to come out every year with a profit. How about if the country doesn't get out of debt in 4 years Obama goes to jail for life (or until we're out of the debt we're in). I'd say the same thing about Bush but at least under Bush citizens got money from the stimulus. Obama isnt' giving anything to the people, it's all going to the companies that wisked him into office. So now We the people get to throw out money into it just like we do for Amtrak to function.

What broadband companies are getting tax money, will they reduce the bills of the taxpaying customers for it? Don't they raise your rates every year (I know comcast does). Perhaps they should give the people a credit for taking money out of their pockets for them. Unless the government is going to form it's own broadband company which at this point pretty much is Comcast since they do whatever they want to begin with.

Where is George Orwell when we need him, he should of wrote a book on this. :)

2. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Oh the needful is to be done :D

The Indians (spots) will be happy, the Indians (Feathers) will still be poor, the taxes on the spend will make many Indian Governmrnt officials happy.

Some Americans will start sending their workers to India for work experience, christ knows they need it.

Cant see how the US benefits from IT Investment mind you.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Meanwhile, back on the ranch this afternoon ...

"HP will reduce the CEO’s by 20 percent, the base pay of the members of the Executive Council by 15 percent, the base pay of all other executives by 10 percent, the base pay of all other exempt employees by 5 percent, and non-exempt employees by 2.5 percent.

These changes will be implemented effective on March 16, 2009 in the United States and outside of the United States based on local country regulations and subject to consultation with employee representatives where required."

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Obama, 1 Month tomorrow!

"I guess this is what you get from a President that never ran a lemonade stand let alone a business that actually had to come out every year with a profit."

Bush was the worst president ever, get over it, and no he never ran a lemonade stand at a profit, but he once did run an oil company into bankruptcy and subsequently a whole country into chapter 11.

"How about if the country doesn't get out of debt in 4 years Obama goes to jail for life (or until we're out of the debt we're in). I'd say the same thing about Bush but at least under Bush citizens got money from the stimulus."

Bush was a disaster, you may have voted for him, you may feel some need to rationalize your choice, but your simply deceiving yourself. Bush didn't do a fiscal stimulus package he did unfunded tax cuts, which went to the rich, which were largely exported into foreign investments or went to create the asset bubbles in the US. When M3 shot up (a flight of US$ from US) he hid the evidence. You shouldn't have voted for him you did wrong, the damage is evident, but self deception doesn't fix any of his mess.

"Obama isnt' giving anything to the people, it's all going to the companies that wisked him into office. So now We the people get to throw out money into it just like we do for Amtrak to function."

1 month in power tomorrow. Pretty amazing to see the progress he's made in less than a month. Even with the Bush old crowd in the Senate trying to stop him succeeding and people like you that soooo want him to fail, even if it means the end of US world dominance.

I don't agree with everything he's done, (the compromise to try to get the Bush Republican old guard on the US team again were a mistake I reckon) but overral it's pretty amazing to see what a competent leader can do.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

but overral it's pretty amazing to see what a competent leader can do.

We just need one for the UK now.

6. Ian Michael Gumby
    Black Helicopters

And the H1B and Onshore labor market will be happy...

Sorry to say but even these government contracts to improve their systems will be built with machines that are manufactured offshore, and the project staffing will be filled with ranks of H1B or onshored labor from one of the big 3 contractors.

Sorry to be cynic, but the rumor is that IBM which has finally started to sense the backlash against offshoring outsourcing projects, is now creating two US sites. Care to bet how many H1B's actually get hired over their US counterparts?

Sam's lining his pockets before he retires. Lower quality workers for higher margins.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

S'what you get..

when you have an economic system that's been so robustly built by the private sector that it can be brought down by a bunch of Estate Agents (Realtors).

I'd laugh even harder if it wasn't for the fact we're just as culpable, hell we bought debt that we didn't understand.

8. amanfromMars Silver badge

Just for the Record...

"...and people like you that soooo want him to fail, even if it means the end of US world dominance.".... By Anonymous Coward Posted Thursday 19th February 2009 09:13 GMT

Actually, quite the Opposite, AC, but he does deem determined to disappoint his supporters with more of the same old nonsense, only packaged differently for the same old parasites running Uncle Sam ragged.

"but overral it's pretty amazing to see what a competent leader can do." ...... Pop back whenever you can show us a competent lead, AC, there's a splendid chap. It has been so long and far too long since anyone has seen one.

9. Tom

I don't care what Congress officially calls it,

we the people have decreed it to be Porkulous, at least until the next hash comes out and we need to distinguish between Porkulous I and Porkulous II. And I expect to see El Reg referring to it by the proper name from now on. Especially since there is almost no stimulus in this one and we can expect even less in the next one.

Why am I not surprised that the only kool-aid drinker so far is an Anyomous Coward?

10. Schultz
    Go

Calm down everybody

It's only billions of $, not like they spend real money here.

Move on everybody, nothing to see here,

get back to work so you can pay your taxes.

11. Eduard Coli
    Gates Horns

Great sell out

It has to be a sell out when out of all the Western nations and probably the Eastern ones too the US has no clause making any company taking stimulus(read: tax payer) money has to spend it on local labor and materials.

As it is not only Indian visa abusers, Indian head shops and Chinese weat shops will profit from US tax dollars.

When will Evil Bill go to Washington again to try to rub the soft machine into removing visa caps?

12. Chris Fleming
    Coat

And more...

Government jobs anyone...

Have not noticed any where in the world retrenchment of Goverment positions quite the opposite in fact . In the private sector oh yes, silly private sector doing inane things like growing food, manufacturing ,selling etc. that will teach them.

In the pocket is a job for life card.

13. Lord of Dogtown
    Happy

IT Industry

Reduced to the same level as making shirts, not what we want our children to do. My friend a 'Washing Machine' engineer makes more than me and I earn a lot as a J2EE Architect.

I have to work 16 hours for my slice and the threat of offshoring is always there, my friend is paid to examine machines in service stations and supermarkets and works 10am to 4pm.

I am taking an OU course on Heating and ventilation engineering and will be leaving my job soon.

I have a 1st class degree and am J2EE certified together with the wholly useless CIPD from the BCS.

Hopefully y'all need to keep warm in the winter :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like