back to article How to survive the crisis: Sell kiddies booze

Those among you currently battling to survive the economic apocalypse ravaging the planet might perhaps take a lead from supermarket monolith Tesco, which has apparently decided on a controversial way to get extra wonga flowing into its tills: Tesco store with 'Store sells children booze' newspaper headline billboard We're …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. alan
    Happy

i for one

welcome our adolescent drink-crazed knife-carrying underage overlords

2. alan
    Joke

Title

"although the long-term social cost of alcopop-crazed juveniles sticking decorated war veterans in supermarket trolleys and throwing them off the roof of the nearest multi-storey carpark has yet to be counted."

Surely in an ageing population this is a good thing, think of the pensions, wont somebody please think of the pensions.

Sorry

:)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not to minors

I live in South Yorkshire and my local Tesco certainly sells alcohol to pleanty of ex-miners.

</coat>

4. Jamie Kitson

Lest We Forget

They also encourage incest. Wonder if that's after the kiddies have had a few.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/17/tesco_campaign/

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Store sells children booze

I thought there was a comma missing in the headline, and that it actually read:

"Store sells children, booze"

I'll have a 5 year old boy small enough to sweep my chimney and a case of vodka.

6. Steven Jones

Desperate

Not Tescos being desperate, but the lame use of that photo for what I suppose was meant to be a humorous story.

7. Paul Murphy

Not Morris Minors then?

'cos they must be old enough by now.

since everyone else is posting silly comments I thought I would join in.

ttfn

8. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Children's Children

>>I have been instructed to stress that Tesco does not in fact sell alcohol to minors, and is

>> actually wholly dedicated to making Britain and better place for our children and our children's

>> children, etc, etc.

Is that a reference to that baby faced 13 year old boy who's been all over the red tops recently?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC 1033

I'm 25. Am I an ex-minor?

GOTO coat

:coat

exit

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@ex miners

As long as those elderly ex-miners can prove their age, and as long as they remove their flat caps in line with the store's "no caps" policy.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@AC re: Store sells children, booze

"I'll have a 5 year old boy small enough to sweep my chimney and a case of vodka."

How do you expect a 5 year old to sweep a case of vodka?

Mine's the one with a copy of "Eats, shoots, and leaves" in the pocket.

12. James

Victory! Health!

"A note from our legal department

I have been instructed to stress that Tesco does not in fact sell alcohol to minors, and is actually wholly dedicated to making Britain and better place for our children and our children's children, etc, etc."

Not just to make a whole load of cash for Mein Fuerher Leahy then?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

So it will be your fault!

If I trust you and latter find out that Tesco's does in fact sell alcohol to minors then I can seek financial compensation.

14. michael

yes minister refrance

"actually wholly dedicated to making Britain and better place for our children and our children's

children, etc, etc."

that is about how long it will take

15. umacf24

Sainsburys, however.....

Tesco may not sell booze to minors, but in Headcorn -- next village north -- we find:

http://www.kent.police.uk/Your%20Area/Mid%20Kent/Mid_Kent_news/Failed_test_purchase.html

16. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Oi!

They're not selling MY kids' booze. They stole it fair and square, and no jumped up supermarket chain is going to get their grimy hands on it.

"Right, Chantelle, get the shotguns loaded up. Dwaine, start fillin' the sandbags.."

17. Stef
    Coat

Drunken chavlets

Hopefully they'll get drunk enough to be unable to have sex.

http://gl0rify.blogspot.com/2009/02/just-what-world-needs-more-pig-ignorant.html

18. Peter
    Joke

Comma missing!

Shows the value of a missing comma, that should be after 'children'...

19. Tim

Yes they bloody do

"A note from our legal department

I have been instructed to stress that Tesco does not in fact sell alcohol to minors, and is actually wholly dedicated to making Britain and better place for our children and our children's children, etc, etc."

No need for the disclaimer - in 2007 Tesco stores in both Worthing and Crawley were repeatedly found to be selling booze to minors and disqualified from trading in alcohol altogether for a month each. Result!

http://www.theargus.co.uk/search/1549979.Tesco_s_U_turn_on_alcohol_ban/

20. Darkside
    Alert

Oh, yes they do

In fact, round here they're noted for it - see our local paper:

"A Tesco store in Woodley has been caught selling booze to children following a police crackdown on underage drinking.

The sting operation saw a 15-year-old go into the Tesco Express in Loddon Vale Centre accompanied by undercover officers and attempt to buy alcohol. The employee was issued with an £80 fixed penalty notice for disorder after illegally serving the underage teen with booze.

This is not the first time Tesco has been in trouble for selling booze to underage youngsters in Reading.

The Extra store in Napier Road, Reading, and the two Tesco Express shops in Bath Road, Southcote, and Church Street, Caversham, were previously caught in test purchases in April/May 2006 and all given £80 on-the-spot fines for selling alcohol to a 15-year-old boy."

<http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/s/2038141_tesco_caught_selling_alcohol_to_children>

21. S Murray
    Thumb Up

Booze maybe - fags no.

At least they aren't selling them cigarettes!

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/blackpoolnews/Tesco-asks-59yearold-man-for.4968166.jp

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shame there were no commas....

Nah you all got it wrong

Its booze MADE from children... geddit.....

23. kain preacher

One month ???

Damn luck thats not here in the States. If you sell booze to a minor, you and your employee gets fined .

Plus six month suspension of your liquor license .

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like