back to article Mortal Kombat maker Midway goes titsup

Saddled with debt, American video game maker Midway has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Creator of the long-running Mortal Kombat said it is seeking protection from creditors after a change in ownership last year pushed forward the deadline for Midway to pay off its debts. The company said Chapter 11 protection will let the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

let me be the first to say

Flawless victory, Fatality.

I know I know, I'm going now.

2. Steven Raith
    Pirate

FINISH HIM

Sorry :-(

Shame really, as Midway used to knock out some pretty kick arse arcade boxes.

Ah well...

Steven R

3. Dr Jeep
    Coat

Or more likely to...

...be heard at the backcrupcy hearings

"Finish Him!"

4. Iamfanboy

bet they were wishing...

Bet they were wishing that Redstone had decided to use a Friendship. Too bad Midway made them too fucking hard to do!

I would say that my friends and I wasted many afternoons playing MK, but we were Street Fighter fans. Sorry Midway.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(untitled)

"Midway stressed bankruptcy would affect only its US operations." - modulo ripping off the creditors, that is

6. Filippo Silver badge

After MKvsDCU...

...I'm not too surprised.

7. hikaricore
    Pirate

Fatality!

lol

8. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Sonya Blade

Did anyone else notice that Sonya Blade's boobs got progressively bigger as the game was released on newer platforms?

9. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Pirate

Eat my shorts ......said the spider to the fly guy

Another Ponzi bites the dust?

"The company said Chapter 11 protection will let the company conduct its business as usual (of losing money annually for nearly a decade)." .... Seems like the best of reasons to have the boss detained and transferred to a place of residential security for a period of training evaluation and reprogramming.

Although if he were to use the Idiot Defence .......Fools and their money are easily parted and deserve to be so relieved [aka the Bankers Ignorance Defence] .... he'll still be munching caviar rather than sipping gruel. And it is terribly in vogue this season and proving to be very attactive/a big unexpected hit.

IT's a Funny Old World whenever you get right down to ITs Base IQs ....... and a Bit of a Swamp with all kinds of strange and weird beings lurking in the shadows and murky depths.

10. Yorkshirepudding
    Thumb Down

TOASTIEEEE!

That is all

11. Lord of Dogtown
    Heart

So thats how the credit crunch will get worse

If you go titsup, then all the companies that you owe $ to cannot cary that loss forward year on year.

Very interesting imagine evading tax on $20billion as a 'writedown' whilst also charging 'interest' on the capital amount lent that may realise in 2025.

They are all as guilty as each other.

12. Neil
    Flame

Insert Coin to Continue

"HUMILIATION"

13. Jack B
    Alert

Well...

after they made Epic release UT3 a year before it was anywhere near finished i'm not surprised and nor do I have any sympathy for them. Money grabbing publishers like this deserve to go under for forcing releases of unfinished games.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Grabs joystick

Punch, roundhouse, roundhouse, punch, kick... Awe sh@t didn't work on those pesky creditors

15. Lord Zedd
    Unhappy

Armageddon

I guess this means no MK8 on the PS3/xBox360.

16. Mike Crawshaw

GET OVER HEEERE!!!

Shame, they made some decent film & TV tie-ins.

Oh, hang on, no, I'm thinking of something else...

17. brimful
    Thumb Up

Back back forward forward punch

Oh the memories!

18. Law
    Coat

GET OVER HEEERE!!!

" Shame, they made some decent film & TV tie-ins.

Oh, hang on, no, I'm thinking of something else..."

Street Fighter perhaps??? Erm..... maybe not

Mines the one with a pirated copy of The Legend of Chun Li in the pocket.... Lana Lang playing Chun Li... who'd have thunk it

19. Robert Grant

At least they'll all have lots of time...

...to play the awesome-looking Street Fighter 4. That's how it's done, lads.

20. Tom
    Pirate

The new game.

Take some money and shuffle it around to create a big pile of "on paper" money. To win the game run off with the real money and stiff some one else with the worthless paper.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like