back to article Isle of Man gov gets social

The Isle of Man is trying to tempt back departing graduates with a bit of Web 2.0 social networking magic. The tax haven's government has set up a social networking site called manxgraduates.im for employers looking for staff, or to promote their firm, as well as attracting back new graduates. The idea is that Manx grads will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert Ramsay

is it not...

...also famous for flogging homosexuals (whether they ask for it or not) ?

2. Len Goddard

The island is famous for its kippers, bike race, accountants, alcoholics and webbed toes.

And tail-less cats.

3. Nursing A Semi
    Thumb Up

The island is famous for :

Rain rain and more rain, short curly haired men and women with no tails.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Off topic but...

...I thought that the Isle of Man has some of the strictest regulation against criminal abuse in the world, which has been specifically designed to keep out "hot money". There are no banking secrecy laws, and tax information sharing agreements with a whole host of countries.

Additionally, my understanding (though I may be wrong) is that KSF IoM collapsed when the British Government seized the assets of KSF UK (using anti-terrorism legislation). KSF IoM was solvent at the time, but had £555m deposited with KSF UK which precipitated the collapse. I'd guess that the rightful return of the held monies is not what most people would consider a bailout...

5. Ryan

And

Cats with no tails

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

technology

"So is the island planning a move away from its core money laundering industry and into technology?"

I hope not - it wasn't long ago that the government switched to an all-Windows shop for some completely lame reason. FAIL.

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2005/07/19/210905/isle-of-man-government-consolidates-on-windows-platform.htm

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

cliche, after cliche, after cliche

Good grief, some 'journalists' seem completely incapable of writing about the Isle of Man without making the same old 'tax haven' and 'money laundering' cliches.

The fact is that the IOM finance industry is probably better regulated and more open (to appropriate authorities) that the majority of Wall Street or the square mile in London!

8. Ian Entwistle
    Coat

after cliche

No ones yet challanged the alcoholics cliche I see!!! :D

Mines the one with the bottle of scotch in the pocket

9. andy gibson

@ Ian Entwistle

Not scotch - Glen Kella Manx Whisky.

10. Ian Johnston Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

@AC

So if the Isle of Man is strictly regulated and not a tax haven at all, why do all those companies base themselves there? The weather?

Paris, because she accepts deposits from the wealthy and doesn't make a secret of it.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Big Brother

No freedomn of speach whatsoever. What on Gods Earth is offensive to anyone - even if they live on the IOM. Well, if it is offensive tough. I posted a link on iomtt.com's forum and the post gets deleted by the admin. What a set of w4nk3r$

12. GremlinUK
    Go

tax haven?

"So if the Isle of Man is strictly regulated and not a tax haven at all, why do all those companies base themselves there? The weather?"

The corporation tax rate is very low... that does not make it illegal, simply competitive.

If a person or business is legitimately domiciled in IOM, and therefore taxed there, why should any other tax authority be able to say there's anything wrong? The bigger economies of this world can't have the free market they want in one area, and stop smaller economies competing with them in areas where they can.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Bike race?

Bike race? Are you f**king kidding me?! The Island practically doubles it's population every year for one of the greatest events in the motorsport calendar and we're calling it a 'bike race'?!! What a goon of a journalist! P.S. Might wanna do some reasearch about the so called 'bailout'. It was daylight robbery!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like