back to article Xbox 360's NXE patch births RRoD complaints

The New Xbox Experience (NXE) patch - released earlier this week to fix an HDMI audio issue caused by downloading the NXE interface itself – appears to have brought the dreaded Red Ring of Death (RRoD) to rather a lot of consoles. Microsoft’s own Xbox 360 Forum has been inundated with complaints from gamers that the patch – …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Waldo
    Stop

Nice work Microsoft!

So let me get this right. Microsoft bricks your 360 and you have to pay for it? Well, that seems pretty fair to me.

Perhaps the bricked consoles where chipped? If thats the case then it's tough luck pirates!!

2. Taomyn
    Go

Of course all the PS3 updates have been flawless....

....how easily people forget.

Though I do agree that MS in the usual manner are not dealing with this very well.

3. daniel

Class action

If this isn`t just happening for chipped/modded xboxes how long before we see a class action launched?

P.s. mine upgraded fine

4. Waldo

Firmware

@Taomyn. I agree that the PS3 has had a few dodgy updates, but a firmware reset (holding down the power button for 5 secs or so) resets the firmware to factory defalt.

5. Waldo
    Gates Horns

Oooops

@Daniel, if it's not just hacked xboxes, then MS is in rather very hot water. Anyone here gonna defect to Wii or PS3?

6. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

I can 'understand' a Windows update causing problems

Microsoft can't know what odd drivers or second-rate hardware I have installed in my PC - but they built my Xbox! They know EXACTLY what's in there - they even used about 40 different sorts of screw to stop me opening it to fiddle!

7. Mark
    Gates Horns

BS

“The nature of the console itself is very complex, as it’s a consumer electronic product that contains more than 1700 different components and 500 million transistors.”

Yet Sony manage it, which a higher component count, more transistors, and REAL cutting edge hardware like Cell and Blu-ray.

When will people understand, all Microsoft care about is quick cash. There is no long term customer retention, or goal to produce decent reliable hardware. Like the 360 launch, "get it out there before Xmas, I don't care if it's fundamentally flawed in it's design, we'll fix this in the Xbox720".

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: Of course all the PS3 updates have been flawless....

Well I know about 30 people with PS3, and none of them have ever had a single problem. I know about 20 or so 360 owners, and not a single one is still on their first console....

9. Lee Ward
    Coat

Plastic helmets on everybody!

Mine upgraded fine, although, did this HDMI issue only affect a select number of machines? Mine didn't give me any trouble, I was rather puzzled as to what the update was for when mine prompted me last night.

Mines the one with the mace in the pocket, because the fanboys are about to land and we normal dudes have to defend ourselves from the Sony and Ninty fanboys somehow. (I bought all the consoles, so I'm indifferent.)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Bricked "normal" consoles

The update bricked 2 of my friends consoles.... both unopened, unmodded and up until now have behaved flawlessly. Ironically, one of them has an Xbox360 which does not have an HDMI port!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Mine bricked.

Updated last night, now it's a useless lump of plastic.

Microsoft quoted me upto 6 weeks to get it fixed, and £100 cost.

12. Daniel B.

Nice...

Windows updates might b0rk your Windows install, but usually you're still able to enter "Safe Mode" and save whatever you need to rescue. XBox360 bricks with firmware consoles. Which is worse?

On the other hand, my PS3 did have to be changed because I got one of those 0.01% that have a faulty Blu-Ray drive (jokingly dubbed the Blu-Ray of Death) and met shocked faces at GameRush when I went to change it. I was the first one *ever* to return a faulty PS3, and they were visibly surprised to see one failing. 360's are much more common, of course.

Oh, and like someone mentioned ... there's a "Safe Mode" menu available in the PS3, where you can repair faulty firmware.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like