back to article Motorola handset profits still MIA

The fact that nobody seems to want a Motorola phone these days wasn't terrific for the handset maker's bottom line in 2008. Motorola reported today that it shipped 19.2 million handsets in the fourth quarter last year. That's 6.2 million units fewer than it did the previous quarter and 16.3 million fewer than the same quarter …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andy Worth

Unfortunate

It's not good for those who aer losing their jobs obviously, but then Motorola have long made shit phones backed up by some truly shit advertising. I don't know many people who would still even consider buying a Motorola phone, they've just lagged behind the rest of the market for years now.

2. Dale Le Page
    Happy

Hardly suprising

Having worked in the mobile sector for far longer than I'd be proud to admit to, this is hardly surprising. Everything they have produced since the V3 has been pants, and even saying that the V3 was a pretty poor handset in every respect except looks!

Good riddance, they were a bugger to sell anyway!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Earnings call clarification

The $1.5Bn cost cutting is for the existing 7000 planned layoffs, not supplemental to them (so said the illustrious leaders on the earnings call).

I'm not saying that they'll not keep chipping away, just that there were no new announcements of layoffs on the earnings call.

Headstone should have batwings on it soon.....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

It's only going to get worse ...

Everything is in disarray. To call the internals "chaotic" would be understating things tremendously. It's only downward from here.

At least one person is happy - the new CFO got a very nice raise and benefit package - just the type of thing to inspire joy among a workforce that - if not being laid off - is on a pay/benefits freeze. Always thinking of the little guy.

Goodbye, Moto ...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like