back to article iRiver Spinn media player

The iRiver Spinn seems to have been forged in the white heat of a fierce row about the merits of a touchscreen vs traditional controls. But rather than come down on one side of the fence or the other, iRiver seems to have ended the argument with a petulant 'fine, we'll have both then!' iRiver Spinn iRiver's Spinn: why have …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

meh

should stick with the clix interface, tis wonderfully easy to make go and doesn't need you to take your hands out of your pockets on a cold day.

But hey, nobody goes their own way when the marketing gimps take over the R&D department.

2. Gareth Irwin

So long and short is

It sounds good but is otherwise crap.

So why 70% rating?

3. Ben

Ben

I’m a huge fan of Iriver and have been for many years now. I currently have the Iriver CLIX second generation 8gb and I love the player. The issue I have with Iriver at this point is why they aren’t upping up the capacity on their players. I mean really they keep maxing out at 8gb. My Clix is almost full and I need more space at least 16gb.

I hear the Spinn just received new 2.0 firmware upgrade. This newfirm ware has some new features that will enhance the player but will not create more space. Iriver 16gb or 32 gb are needed at this point.

The 2.0 firmware will now allow users to take memos or draw with the stylus through the Memo function. The firmware is bundled with the Big Album Art feature that will give a much better view to a user’s albums.

The firmware has also enhanced the support for pictures by adding some new picture management tools and the FW that comes with the auto rotate attribute and takes care of other picture files. With support from the new Reservation feature, users can now auto record DMB/DAB/FM Radio.

The firmware has also improved the video and game support of the PMP. While the video feature offers extended video playback options, the game feature addition will allow users to download new games through the iAMOLED website. In addition to this, Spinn’s 2.0 firmware also includes advanced searching tools.

The 2.0 firmware is a 3.9 MB file and is available for download now, but only from iRiver’s Korean site.

4. Ben

Robert and Ben

If Iriver doesn’t create larger capacity soon then they will lose me to the Cowon S9 16gb or the Samsung P3 16gb.

5. Monkey

The Demise of iriver

You have to wonder don't you how a company that produced probably the best HDD based music players on the market four or five years ago have fallen so far behind. To the point where customers aren't even considering them as part of the viable choice when buying new players.

6. Ben

Robert

Iriver should bring the Clix back with a touch screen that clicks similar to the Blackberry Bold. The interface is very similar to the Clix D click system but with a touch screen in a 16bg. This would be the move as the Clix was there most popular player.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like