back to article AOL lays off 10 per cent, freezes pay

AOL will lay off 10 per cent of its workforce, or about 700 people, to cope with an advertising slump from the US recession, according to a memo sent to employees Wednesday. The Time Warner internet division will also freeze employee merit pay raises in 2009 to help minimize the layoffs, AOL chief Randy Falco said in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

Hello! Marketing? Are you listening?

PEOPLE ARE SICK OF BEING MARKETED AT!

Gawd/ess ... I hate all caps, but it needed to be screamed.

People are sick of being marketed at. And in the online world, where people have the option of NOT viewing ads, they don't. Even my mom (70 years old) found and installed AdblockPlus ... Get used to it, Marketing. You're the new "first up against the wall" group. The world+dog hates you more than lawyers. Please go away. Nobody will miss you.

Side note: Did you know that all (most?) of those TV screens in supermarkets which blare advertisements at you can be muted via remote control? Sometimes its a blissful couple weeks before someone figures out how to turn the sound on again ...

2. hikaricore

AOL?

I wasn't aware they existed anymore.

3. Mike Crawshaw
    Thumb Up

@Jake re supermarkets

"Side note: Did you know that all (most?) of those TV screens in supermarkets which blare advertisements at you can be muted via remote control? Sometimes its a blissful couple weeks before someone figures out how to turn the sound on again ..."

Sir, this will be tested on my next visit to such an establishment. If this proves correct, then for the first time in my life, I will be grateful to someone for "enhancing my shopping experience"!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Falco?

Rock me Amadeus!

5. Wortel
    Flame

AOL?

FFS, die already.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like