back to article iPhone SMS error bug won't go away

Some users of Apple's iPhone are still reporting problems sending SMS messages with no fix in sight, despite both Apple and O2 being aware of the issue for more than a month. The problem comes with the upgrade to software version 2.2. Some users have reported it surfacing well after installing the upgrade, but once it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark
    Go

Works fine on...

Not just posting to sound "hard" or "cool", but I have no probs on Vodafone UK...

2. dervheid
    Thumb Down

Heads...

in the sand, it seems.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

No Suprise

Apple never made a phone before so there are lots & lots of Beta testers finding it out the hard way.

4. Seamaster
    Jobs Halo

Problems? What problems?

I'm on a plain-old O2 iPhone SIM, and SMS has never skipped a beat for me.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do you read your own links?

If you read the latest posts from the links in your own story you'll see people are saying the issue is fixed in the update that Apple released yesterday (2.2.1)

6. Jean-Paul

Two iPhones and no problems

I've had both the original and now 3G iPhone, never had a problem with this. I am running on the latest firmware.....

Some may call it beta testers, but other Phone manufacturers should take a leave out of Apple's book and actually post some software updates....My old Nokia E65 has so many defects and never an update...So is that beta testing or good customer service?I rather have the phone with the bugs that get fixed rather than the phone with the bugs that don't...And lets face it they all have bugs even my old Nokia 2110i

7. chris
    Thumb Down

Forget the SMS problems.....

......what about the damn battery issues. Since teh 2.2 update i dont even get 6 hours without charging - on 2.1 i could get 24hrs + easily!

8. DT

Gotta love that flawed logic

I've got a car and it's never broken down - therefore anyone who claims that this make of car breaks down is a liar.

Anecdotes != evidence

9. Psymon
    Flame

Apple pretending a problem doesn't exist?

surely not!

It's not like they've behaved like that before.

</sarcasm>

to be honest, I can't stand 3G phones. Too complex for their own good. Most of the 2G phones have enough irritating glitches/habbits or functionality that is infuriatingly obtuse to the point where the feature become almost unusable.

I've not heard from a single friend who hasn't had his/her 3G phone crash or break on them.

Slide/flip phones lose their earpeice speaker with alarming regularity, screens develop random verticle lines as the LCD data connections wear out.

They're pre-designed with a finite lifespan to ensure the market doesn't get flooded.

The last phone I truly loved, that served me reliably and robustly was my old Nokia 7210.

It never locked up,

never dropped a call,

never continued ringing after pressing answer,

allowed ring and vibrate AT THE SAME TIME (whats the point in loading it with ringtones if you always answer before they play?!),

didn't butt in and insert random words while writing a text,

the screen updated in almost real time, opposed to phones that take so long to display "message sent" it's interferring with your ability to read the reply

didn't have a bloated OS on an underpowered CPU - this seems to be the industry standard nowadays

it didn't auto download updates that removed certain features

it didn't bury the silent feature under a thousand sub-menus

it had PC connectivity software that actually worked

and, if the casing got cracked or scratched, you could pop down the market and buy a replacement in one of a million different styles for less than a fiver.

I believe phones have gotten worse, not better in recent years

10. Big Bear
    Joke

Problems? What problems?

Is the iPhone meant to be the latest and greatest?

My Nokia 6210 hasn't muttered a peep of problems since I got in 2001... and the battery lasts about 5 days of moderate use! I can SMS and call people from it. That's what phones do...

11. jai

re: Forget the SMS problems.....

well mine came off change this morning before i left for work - i upgraded to 2.2.1 last night - according to the usage screen it's been on standby for 5hours 45minutes and in use for 2hours 17minutes.

that 2 hours has been pretty much constant music playing on the journey to work and the last hour when i went out for a walk at lunch

the battery indicator is at 90% - 85% at worst

12. Rob

You're a bit late...

This is apparently fixed in the latest update 2.2.1

13. Benny
    Happy

works ok

on 2.2 jailbroken 3g

14. Mark
    Coat

Does it actually matter?

If you bought an iPhone, clearly you bought it because it was cool, not because of what it does/does not do.

As with all Apple products, it's 99% image/marketing 1% substance.

15. Steve Button Silver badge
    Thumb Up

I can't FORWARD a text.

Is this the bug they are talking about?

C'mon Apple sort this out. I'm getting fed up of being ribbed about this by my non-iPhone work colleagues and it's driving me to distraction (hence reading the Reg when I'm supposed to be building a server :)

16. G Plumb
    Thumb Down

Typical apple...

Typical apple, form over function! I hate my iPhone and am not surprised to read about yet another ignored bug. Apple software is written by graphics designers, not programmers...

17. Paul Livingstone

Rubbish...

@Mark and @G Plumb: I've owned a LOT of mobile phones and while the iPhone may have the occasional short-coming, it's still EASILY the greatest piece of mobile technology I've ever had.

18. B

Replies to trolls

@Mark

"If you bought an iPhone, clearly you bought it because it was cool, not because of what it does/does not do."

- The iPhone is cool BECAUSE of what it does do, and how it does it. If you don't understand that then fine, but don't waste everyone's time telling us why we bought it because you're getting it wrong.

@ G Plumb

"Typical apple, form over function! I hate my iPhone and am not surprised to read about yet another ignored bug. Apple software is written by graphics designers, not programmers..."

- Typical troll, vagaries over specifics. . .

19. Thomas
    Thumb Up

Nice article though

Three cheers for The Reg for an extremely balanced Apple-related article? If only the internet had a few more of those...

20. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Yes, but what about all the other SMS/MMS problems with iPhone

I have an iPhone 3G, not because it is cool but because things like the mapping and app system are simply brilliantly well-designed and a pleasure to use.

But Apple really needs to sort out the still-poor SMS implementation. Really *basic* features are still not there:

- No forwarding of SMS

- No copy and paste

- No native MMS support at all; one app that has appeared is a kludgy workaround

You would think they've never heard of europe.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Wifi problem too

Looks like there's a problem with Wifi too, which could be even bigger (mine hasn't been able to see my router for 2 days...):

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8892046#8892046

22. Will

They took my ringtone away

There are few pure pleasures in this cruel modern world. So why has iTunes deleted my monkey island theme ringtone? why?

23. Andreas
    Jobs Horns

@They took my ringtone away

Simple: because **you** chose to support Apple by buying/using products that regulate "your" digital media.

24. Alex Rose

@various

Seriously people, if you don't like Apples products, that's fine. Don't buy them. I don't own any Apple products because I find that other manufacturers products suit my need better, but I don't waste mine and other people's time moaning about products I don't even use.

You're all just reminding me of the C64/Spectrum/BBC Model B and Amiga/Atari ST arguments of my childhood, either grow up or realise you're no longer children shouting "mine's better" in the fecking playground at school and lambasting people who choose something different to you.

You actually make me ashamed to be human!

25. Kevin Fairhurst

re: Yes, but what about all the other SMS/MMS problems with iPhone

- No forwarding of SMS

Jailbreak + bitesms

- No copy and paste

Jailbreak + Clippy

- No native MMS support at all; one app that has appeared is a kludgy workaround

Jailbreak + SwirlyMMS (okay it's £6 to buy after 2 week trial but....)

26. Adam Hart
    Stop

SMS issue fixed

The SMS problem has been fixed with the latest upgrade so whats all the fuss about?

Mark - who gives a $%£* that you are on Voda, they don't and can't sell iphone....

27. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@ Alex Rose

You missed out Atari 400/800 with C64/Spectrum/BBC Model B

Seriously though, I agree. This rivalry is akin to championing football teams. You don't get these arguments with "My BMW 3 Series is better then your Mercedes C class" - people choose what suits them and live with it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like