back to article BT going mobile - again?

The Guardian is reporting that UK former-monopoly BT has been having discussions with T-Mobile and 3 about launching a mobile-phone network. The discussions are described as "at an early stage", but apparently involve both existing mobile operators working with BT to launch a mobile network, something BT hasn't owned since …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. john loader

Will BT help spread of 3G?

Now if BT could put a few more aerials up on telephone exchanges for their partners' networks those of us in more remote areas might finally be able to use mobiles and even 3G services. My exchange is 3 miles away - rotten broadband - my nearest 3 aerial 20 miles!

However I find the statement that 3 and T mobile share networks odd. In one place recently where no 3 signal available, Virgin (on T Mobile network) was strong. Where I live 3 is non-existent and the switch that 3 recommend is to Orange with whom 3 have a deal.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BT MVNO

BT is already running as an MVNO on Vodafone, at least for business customers

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@ john loader

As I understand the amalgamation of T-Mobile and 3s networks is underway but not expected to be complete until early next year, therefore the variance in networks you're currently experiencing will exist for anything up to another 12 months. You are correct that Orange is used as a current 'roaming partner' for 3 for any areas which don't receive a 3 signal.

Upon completion of the network share T-Mobile and 3 will have, by far and away, the broadest and deepest network coverage of any of the operators. Just a shame some of us need to wait another 12 months...

4. Nick Pettefar

BT Mobile - Again Again?

I used BT mobile for several years, several years ago - they are already a mobile company!

They have stupidly long URLs but they are there!...

http://bt.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt.cfg/php/enduser/cci/bt_catpage.php?p_sid=&cat_lvl1=760&cat_lvl2=854&cat_lvl3=1086&p_cv=3.1086&p_cats=760,854,1086

So, what are you talking about? Again?

(Their call-centres are in Newcastle and NI, the staff are more difficult to understand than Bangalorians.)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

why oh why

I don't understand this...their already with Vodafone so why move in on the others. It isn't the network operator that is the problem it is their crap tariffs. BT Fusion had real potetial, but they wasted that slice by not offering free calls via hotspots and home hub.

their still struggling to offer quad or triple play for that matter and Ian Livingston keeps moaning that is is not a fair playing field....come on get rid of openreach as it is just a matter of time.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like