back to article Geeks re-invent breakfast

We all know breakfast’s the most important meal of the day. So ditch your cafe-bought Marmite toastie and cook yourself a slice in the Wii-inspired toaster. Wii_toaster The Wii-like toaster launches slices towards your plate Designer Ivo Vos hopes to... ahem... “celebrate the mundane” with his toaster, which thanks to its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Secret message

Not so secret, if you can read Hebrew..? (I can't, obviously)

2. Funkster

Topside heating element obviously fake

I suspect that the connector is actually attached to a separate heating element underneath, because unless they have developed a way to produce plated through-holes in crockery, there is no connection betwixt power jack and silk screen.

Looks quite nice though :o)

3. Evgeny

Secret message in the inlaid warming wires?

It's a Jewish blessing of food, not a secret message.

ברוך אתה ה' אלהינו מלך העולם על העץ ועל פרי העץ ועל תנובת השדה

roughly translated as:

"bless you lord our god king of the world for the tree and the fruits of the tree and the yield of the field"

4. Ash

Warming coffee mug

I'd pay for that.

5. Martin Lyne

Harf!

"Alas, no plans to LAUNCH either the Wii-like toaster.."

I added the emphasis.

Also: heated plate = carnage if you cut hard witha knife, or plan to wash it (I'm sure there woudl be an engineering solution able to waterproof the plate though)

I was hoping the toaster and plate were wirelessly connected - much more fun if it calculated the angle and such itself. Red light if our of range. Granary bread = grape shot. Man the guns!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it me...

...or is that a turd on the plate?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Butter n Jam

Can we have a machine to butter and jam to toast in mid flight pls ? (a-la wallace and grommit)

PS. It the plate dishwasher proof?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

kosher food only obviously

WIll the plate perhaps flash-incinerate a bacon sandwich?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Beware of geeks bearing gifts...

I can see this livening up many a wedding list

10. TeeCee Gold badge
    Happy

That thar toaster.

Didn't "Private Eye" do something similar with a "Toast-O-Matic" in their fake Xmas gifts section a few years back?

IIRC, theirs was the superior product as it had six slots to serve a full breakfast table and played the 1812 Overture while it was at it.......

11. Charles Tsang
    Happy

I think Wallace has a prior patent case....

Heh, I can only think that Nick Park is amused to see someone has actually built something he's portrayed in his Wallace and Gromit movies.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

I'm waiting...

...for the USB version

13. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Old news.

My uncle had an old toaster which could do this, on;ly it wasn't designed to. We got pretty good with the aim.

14. James Sherwood
    Joke

@ Ponder Stebbins

Your wish has already come true, sort of. Please see: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/11/26/usb_toaster/

15. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

“silk-screened gold and amorphic metal films” embedded in its surface

>" This enables the 12V plug-in plate to heat-up "

I'll bet it does, particularly if you put it in the microwave absent-mindedly.

16. the spectacularly refined chap
    Thumb Down

Been there, done that

So you want a warm plate to put your toast on. Simple - do it the old fashioned way. Toast your bread on the grill and warm your plates under the grill pan as you do it.

With a really hi-tech grill you can even put cheese on your toast and melt it onto it.

Why do I want electrically powered plates, and electric cables trailing all over my dining table? And somehow are they dishwasher proof?

17. Matt
    Happy

not another!!

god damnit! another toaster!! how many times can it be reinvented, into a format that i need! but cannot buy!!!

FFS guys... start producing these novelty toasters!

18. Adrian Esdaile
    Joke

Just wait till Hamas hear about this.

Dangerous.

Next thing you know, the Palestinians will deploy the iKebab self-propelled guided pork kebab!

Who knows where this will end?

And, before I get flamed / jihaded / golemed...

It's a JOKE, FFS!

19. sath
    Flame

Toast

Clearly the world is in the grips of Toast fever- an intense craving to discover new and quirky ways to burn slices of bread till dry and crispy and then apply generous amounts of butter/jam/honey/cheese/scrambled egg (some people are known to enjoy fresh sliced banana on toast!) in some sort of crunchy tasty mess of crumbs and topping...

The flame because thats the element that makes toast, toast.

20. Helen-LG
    Unhappy

awww

Blast - I was just about to get excited about being able to have my breakfast Wallace and Gromit stylee! Aardman need to start designing kitchens!

21. Lightnix
    Thumb Up

Now...

You could really impress your friends by offering to make them toast, having the toaster launch the toast across the room, and catching it backwards with two fingers before offering it to them. Might take a bit of practice though.

This topic is closed for new posts.