back to article Apple announces octo-core Mac Pro

Apple has upgraded is Mac Pro desktop with a pair of 3GHz quad-core Intel Xeon processors, less than a month after a website cock-up revealed such a machine was in the offering. apple mac pro It doesn't come cheap. The basic Mac Pro costs $2,200. Replace the two dual-core 2GHz CPUs with the two quad-core chips and the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. skim

nearly double the price means double the speed?

i think not. this is hoping the quad cores will reduce in price.

2. Keith

Does any machine Apple delivers ACTUALLY live up to the "reality distortion field"?

So far as I've seen, Apple likes to make outrageous claims about the power and design of their hardware. However, most of the readers of this site could build their own system with essentially the same parts for a lower price.

I suppose what I'm saying is that I don't accept the concept of branding as a value-added service.

3. Rob Dunford

Ummm...some real world price comparisons

3GHz 8-core Mac Pro with 2GB RAM, 250GB Hard Drive, 256MB Video Card, CD-RW/DVD etc etc

$4296

2.66GHz 8-core DELL Workstation, same spec as above (ie. no monitor, no floppy).

$5756

The faster Mac Pro is $1500 CHEAPER than the DELL

ok it's $$$ but the comparison still stands, one 'could' build our own, but I think those quad cores are quite expensive.

4. John Molloy

Apple to Microsoft's Rescue

At last a machine that can run Vista properly!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where's the Mac Pro the rest of us are waiting for?

More cores is nice and all that, but what about those sick of Microsoft and are looking for a Mac desktop who a) have a couple monitors and don't want another b) aren't interested in a bunch of laptop components and c) don't want to waste the money or electricity on a server class system?

I'll buy a Mac Mini if I have to and if they ever update it to a Core 2 but I'd much prefer a Mac Pro with desktop motherboard/CPU/RAM.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like