back to article Chinese exam cheats employing spy-tech

More than 1000 cheats were caught in last year's Chinese civil-service exams, some using "spy technology" including micro earpieces - but it was conformity of answers that betrayed most of them. The Chinese state media said 300 candidates were caught while sitting in the exam room, presumably trying to tune their micro- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul
    Joke

"...but first let's get into the groove with a bit of Adam Ant"

Adam Ant!?

Plince charming is not a party member and ridicurle is something we are scared of, prease

by-stand whire we google censor for us.

2. Gregory Orton

Not a new phenomenon

I live in China and have worked as a teacher for the last year. Cheating is a way of life in China. It's what they do. Conformity of answers mean nothing to them. They are the borg. They would rather have the same answers than risk being different and losing face.

I postulate that given a pattern of 1000 repetitive actions and a limited time period to work at them, over the course of the 1000 repetitive actions, a Chinese worker would consistently have a lower percentage of mistakes than a western educated person. But introduce some kind of change or need for thinking past a defined repetitive learning experience I'd bet my house that this advantage would disappear.

It's their education system that's failing them, not the natural entrepeneur ship of human kind profiting from a market where demand far exceeds supply....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

go back to the old way

Might solve their over-population issues too.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Greg Orton

sounds like you need to get out of china mate!

not that i haven't felt the same way as you, but the chinese are not the borg

they're just like you and me with an added dose of competition and peer pressure

but given the state of local residential construction your bet is not particularly tempting

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I thought they had to be Eunuchs

and I not talking the BSD or Solaris kind, more the Aled Jones snowman variety.

A life in the Triads doesn't seem so bad, when compared with being two balls short of a sack, they can have tattoos and do Kung Fu, and all that.

China is the copy central of the world, there is no innovation it has been beaten out of them by years of Communist Labour rule. Still if they could only all jump together, then we could see if it is an urban myth or not.

-- Signed Prince Philp

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Greg

Not quite the borg, not far off either though.

I worked in a company in China for some time and what struck me is their fear of being to blame for something going wrong. This lead to almost all design decisions being made by groups.

Also the Chinese method of learning is by repetition (starts as small children with learning to write all those characters - "copy each character on this page 20 times") so you will end up with quite a few people having the very same answer almost word for word - i.e. word for word what was written in their school books.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@AC no quite the Borg

a much more realistic view.

if we in the west had been brought up in an environment where there was great pressure to conform and very harsh penalties for not doing so , we would be alot more careful about dodging blame

the use of characters also has to do with it also, which can be seen in both classic confucian and communist education methods

@AC i thought they had to be eunuchs

actually, while historically triads were linked to chinese boxing associations, modern triads (at least those in hong kong) practice thai boxing* as a more effective alternative.

*at least according to the events surrounding Alex choi and the ICAC)

8. Finn
    Joke

What is the problem?

Take the exam and cheat. If you succeed, you will have your dream job. If you get caught, Chinese Ministry of State Security will hire you to spy your own classmates. This is what Marx meant when he wrote "...from everyone according his abilities".

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Spies Like Us

Guidance for exam entrants: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL9-7AeFD5w

This topic is closed for new posts.