back to article Who reads The Register?

Those of you who are weary of the tapping of the IT barometer as our survey department strives to gauge the current air pressure of the IT world will be delighted to learn this Reg survey is a bit different - it's all about you, our dear, beloved readers. Yup, long-term friends of Vulture Central will know that from time-to- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. wiser mouse

you are a bunch of nobs

don't you realise that the "main reason" most people read your rag is because it's funny?

2. Ash
    IT Angle

@Who reads The Register?

People who are bored at work and need a laugh while disguising it as as related to their job.

"Keeping abreast of current IT developments."

Talking of which, could you do more stories of using IT within education? Some coverage of BETT would be ideal.

Thanks!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Moslty

Rabid fanboys. Pretty much every article in which it is even remotely POSSIBLE to take a side normally has some retarded argument raging back and forth in the comments.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Not me,

What's happened to the BOFH I'm not sure if I can be bothered reading it any more.

5. Hollerith

gave up on survey

The survey tells me more about how The Register wants to be seen than, I think, is seen. I read for the sardonic tone of news I can usually find elsewhere, but is usually so much more fun here. The comments are a vital part of the experience: wit, some coffee-spraying moments, and often some really good technical or political feedback. Among the dross, of course. It's selection and tone of stories. Gave up on survey as it didn't have what I wanted to respond to on it.

6. Rob
    Thumb Up

In the nicest possible way

I agree with Wiser Mouse; with any story I read that remotely relates to technology, or indeed Paris Hilton, I look to the Register for an entertaining and often much better informed view. However, the Register is also a very welcome voice of reason when we're bombarded with appalling sensationalist journalism from everywhere else, regarding technology, terrorism etc.

Keep it up please! :)

7. Jodo Kast

About Me?

As an IT pro, I develop stuff. I enjoy reading this website because it gives me the scoop on the latest tech stories from an IT viewpoint.

I don't really find your website funny per-se, but I like the tone. You're not afraid to publish security news that might make someone look bad.

What I would like to see more of: Remind people that software and PCs are not emotional. In the last week I read an interesting "emo" article about a guy who was getting a message from Twitter that said "you have used all of your searches, please try again later". These types of things are for security, but the blogger took it personally, and very emotionally. I find that distressing. I suppose it is the layman's anthropomorphizing the website... treating it like a person, when really, it doesn't 'care'.

8. Ian Stephenson
    Pirate

I read the Reg for ...

The BOFH.

Its been weeks.. I'm getting withdrawal!

9. Andrew
    Thumb Down

Talk about loaded questions

"Why do you read the register?" (with no write in space) etc. And as for the selection of jobs! With carefully selected enough questions, it's possible to make people say whatever you want.

10. Mark Broadhurst
    Thumb Up

@wiser mouse : Harsh but true.

Light entertainment and fanboi baiting.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

*sigh*

Didn't get past the first page; I happen to think the register is interesting but hardly 'challenging'. It covers a couple of my interests but by no means all. I mean come on, it's hardly difficult to avoid leading or loaded questions when designing a questionnaire ...

12. dervheid

That should really read...

"don't you realise that the "main reason" most people read your rag is because it's *occasionally, very occasionally,* funny?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Show me the money

No FT, no comment

No incentive (bribe), no survey fillee innee

14. Bill

You missed a bit

I'm with wiser mouse ... I read it for the Paris Hilton stories

15. Wokstation

With regard to section 3...

Me, I'm a househusband through neccesity. As a result the only way to fill in section 3 was an organisation of under 10 people, as head of IT and cheif exec, with under 5 people reporting to me (both of whom are under 5yrs old).

I make all IT-related decisions for our organisation, but must defer to group-thinking with regard to everything else - in particularly with regard to spending authority.

And I was sorely dissapointed that Playmobile didn't feature as a reason for "why do you read the Reg?".

16. Why

Possible incentive idea...

"Register Profiler - January 2009

THANKS

Many Thanks for your time. We really appreciate your input.

The Register..."

I see, so I'm supposed to do this for nothing then...

Alright...

17. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@you are a bunch of nobs

Seconded!

18. Gordon Ross Silver badge

@Wiser Mouse

Agree. I was surprised on the lack of humor & Paris as reasons for reading El Reg. What other reasons are there for reading El Reg ?

I would also have liked a question along the lines of:

Should El Reg stop reporting on Z-List/wannabe celebrities ? Yes or Yes

19. Martin
    IT Angle

wiser mouse post

The rodents not wrong you know

20. E
    Thumb Down

No, I can't do it.

It's too long. Long long long. Loooonnnnngggg.

21. Gareth

Why isn't my demographic represented?

I mainly come here to complain about the lack of poll options, and I was disgusted to see that this was not an option in your recent poll.

Thank you, it made my day.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

On the jobs list...

There are many jobs, plus student/unemployed/retired, but no option for self-employed or freelance, which I imagine many of us reading this site are (I am, for one). Badly designed questionnaire.

23. Haku

real reason

Most of the real reasons people read this site is as a distraction from what they're involved in, a lunchtime break read etc. especially as there are too many 'tabloid'/'sensational' type articles appearing. Sure there is some real information buried within the articles but you got to dig through the waffle to find it.

24. Chris Thomas
    Thumb Up

who reads the reg?

your mother does! now what time are you getting home tonight sonny??

25. Peter

BOFH?

WHERE IS BOFH???

P.

26. Marty McFly Silver badge
    Alert

BOFH

BOFH, BOFH, BOFH. Where oh where is BOFH? My users are becoming complacent and I need some ideas for how to mitigate that.

27. Alan

Grammar

"an positive experience"

"an negative experience"

Where did you go to school?

btw I read The Register for the Playmobil

28. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

We're not all sysadmins...

As above; although the denizens of Reg towers might THINK we're all IT bods, we're not. I don't work in IT, and only moved into a tech company AFTER I started reading the Register. The two are unrelated!! On the other hand, I know a thing or two about survey design, and your questionnaire needs more options under job titles....

29. J
    Joke

@Show me the money

You get paid in articles. News articles, I mean.

Now go to the www.theregister.co.uk, and make sure to click on some ads.

30. D
    Paris Hilton

If the boss asks

I read the register to keep myself up to date with what's happening in IT. I just hope he doesn't examine the spyware logs too closely and find out that I spend 90% of my time here keeping myself up to date with Ms Hilton's reflections on life and all the rest of the irrelevant dross in Odds and Sods.

Paris, because she's really why I'm here.

31. 4irw4y
    Paris Hilton

Jesus Christ, here's my prayer @ Jan 16

Every site on the nets is a miroir déformant in which your own personality is reflrcted. Why surprised if one sees a funny cheezy frimousse in El Reg -- re> wiser mouse @ Fri 16 Jan 09 15:08? Well, some of the commenters look strucked by what they read sometimes (-:

>beginproc_prayer

JC, I know you surely read this. Please post here how do you find an idea of Worldwide No-Mod's Day?

>endproc_prayer

Dear Mod, You Rule, I wish even more portraits of Caesar to you and Team El Reg this year. In light of this brave article above, may I ask: do you understand what I'm talking about?

Paris because IT strucked her how popular she really is.

32. Geoff Kennedy
    Heart

You'll come for BOFH

But stay for Paris Hilton, Playmobil, and FoTW

33. Spider

not sure at the moment

how long do we have to wait for BOFH?

34. Graham Marsden
    Thumb Down

Another dumb survey designed to fit the prejudices of the authors...

I have the authority to spend a million quid on my business. The fact that it doesn't *have* a million quid to spend or *need* a million quid's worth of whatever seems to have escaped the authors of this survey!

35. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

untitled

I come for amanfrommars' comments.

I'd also like to know what the aforementioned entity's reasons are for reading El Reg.

36. scotchbonnet

Odd Poll

I expected there to be some of the usual demographic questions - you know - age, gender, income etc. Maybe a few more freeform text boxes for details that didn't fit into the forced choices - some is good, more is better.

And no tick boxes for regular authors/features? Isn't content always at the forefront of an editorial staff's attention? Let me rephrase - shouldn't content always be at the forefront of an editorial staff's attention?

I'll throw my voice in with the lot wanting some BOFH action - perhaps if you hear it from enough of us, it'll spur you to settle on terms with Simon for another year.

37. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

The answer is ...

blah-bllah-de-blah-blah

(site did not consider 42 as a proper response hence an improper response added to too two)

38. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Me Obviously

As I'm here and just made a comment, DoH

39. Paul Smith
    Thumb Up

Do let us know ...

what percentage bothered past page two!

With pie charts and everything.

This topic is closed for new posts.