back to article Nope, still can't find them. Skullcandy slips Tile's gadget-tracking hardware into individual earbuds

Audio kit flinger Skullcandy has embedded Tile's gadget-tracking tech to help you skin your knuckles fishing out its latest all-wireless earbuds from under the well beneath your handbrake. The idea is to make it easier for punters to find stray earbuds after they somehow escape their ear canals, or otherwise fall out of the …

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Simple solution

I have mine attached by a string to the phone

1. Olius

Re: Simple solution

Does the string have a nice, strong copper or aluminium core?

2. macjules
    Gimp

Apple, which is rumoured to be working on its own gadget-tracking hardware

I would think that Apple's "gadget-tracking hardware" would be self-defeating. Wouldn't Apple want you to be losing those ear buds, or whatever they are called in their current incarnation?

Now, if Apple announced that they were going into the gadget insurance business ...

3. Muscleguy

Bet it still won't make earbuds any more recyclable. There will be a layer in the plastic seam composed just of earbuds.

4. jelabarre59

Tracking

I have a novel tracking device for my earbuds; it's a thin wire running from each but, which join some distance along to a single wire, leading to a 3.5mm handle. And when they're in use my phone/tablet/computer has a handy 3.5mm holder to place the earbuds handle into.

Although I prefer those new-fangled kind, the ones that fit outside and cover the ears rather than fit inside.

5. Havin_it
    Boffin

How's that work then?

Would be nice to have included a cursory overview of how this tech actually works, no?

Sounds like something I could have used a week ago, when one of my cheapo buds leapt for freedom during, as luck would have it, the tiny section of my several-mile bike ride that involved unmaintained scrubland. Cue many perplexed passersby while I crawled slowly around with one ear to the ground hoping to pick out the faint strains of Prodigy's Warrior's Dance (the most percussive and trebly thing came to mind) from among the tussocks. Glad it narrowly missed the adjacent thistle-patch.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon