back to article Shane Ritchie poised to 'reinvent' Minder

Shane Ritchie will in February hit TV screens as Archie Daley in Five's 'reinvented' Minder, with the actor admitting he was a bit hesitant about taking on the role. According to the BBC, Archie is the nephew of Arthur Daley - played in ten series between 1979 to 1994 by George Cole - who'll be accompanied by 29-year-old Lex …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Joe K
    IT Angle

Part of me just died inside

This sounds awful.

And if its SO different to Minder, why the fuck even call it Minder?!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

but surely....

Shane Richey should write da feme toon, sing da feme tune....

3. Kevin Gurney
    Thumb Down

Can't leave well enough alone.

Say no more guv'nor

4. hugh

Shurley

Dennis Waterman is supposed to write the theme tune/sing the theme tune?

5. Mark Edwards
    Thumb Down

Oh dear...

That is all.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Hey BBC

I want my licence fee back if you are putting even more chirpy cockney crap on like that.

7. Peter
    Coat

@Hey BBC

The original Minder was on ITV

The new Minder will be on Channel 5

Otherwise, I agree.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Lex Shrapnel"?

Really?

9. HFoster

A monkey's toss.

I couldn't give one.

I only watched the show when I was about 3 or 4, then went off it in favour of cartoons and Star Trek.

Couldn't give a shit if they changed it to an all-Thai transsexual cast and set it on the Moon, frankly.

10. Baldychap
    Stop

Steady on chaps

Surely it's a bit early to be knocking a show that's not even been made yet. Sure the original Minder will always have a place in our hearts and has big boots to fill, but there's no reason why Richie et al can't make a good show in it's own right.

11. Mart
    IT Angle

wtf is minder

no links in the article, nada, and no i cant be bothered to google

12. Si

There's a typo in your headline

'reinvent' is not how you spell 'ruin'.

13. Jim

What a pen and ink

If the script is good, the show will be good. The script will have to be brilliant to match the wit of the original. I have recently be watching the old Minder on Freeview, and it still stands up.

Shain Ritchie is more of a celeb than an actor, but the biggest challenge will be for Shrapnel to pull off a sympathetic "Terry". Otherwise it will be a complete mons from start to finish.

14. Les Matthew
    Stop

Can it be any worse

than what the BBC have just done with The 39 Steps?

15. Graham Marsden
    Thumb Down

So...

... TV executives in lack of new ideas quandry decide to dig up old show in the hope that they can repeat its success...

Oh deary, deary me.

16. WonkoTheSane
    Thumb Down

Wanted:

An ORIGINAL IDEA!

The entertainment news is full of these "classic TV re-imaginings", this, Reggie Perrin, Day of the Triffids, The Champions, etc.

(need I go on?)

To sum up: DO NOT WANT!

17. David Aston

There's a clip on the bbc website...

You can see where they're going with it...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7826850.stm

nice touch at the end of the credits for those of us who are not only old enough to remember the series but have them all on DVD.

Let's give it a chance - and hopefully a cameo from George Cole!

18. Kevin
    Boffin

Grammar

"According to the BBC, Archie is the nephew of Arthur Daley - played in ten series between 1979 to 1994 by George Cole "

A pet hate: "between X to Y". Please can we have an "and" instead. Between needs two objects, "1979 to 1994" is a single period of time. You need two years, 1979 AND 1994.

19. Haku
    Stop

@Jim

"Shain Ritchie is more of a celeb than an actor"

Actually I'd call him more of a prat than an actor.

Can someone name some re-makes of films / tv shows that didn't suck like a Dyson? what I've seen of films / tv shows that get re-made is the director/producer almost always mangages to forget why the original was enjoyable and go ahead with their own agenda.

20. Mr Larrington
    Thumb Down

Gagh!

Kill, kill, kill, stab, murder and dispatch.

How many nephews has Arthur Daley got?

21. kerlmann
    Stop

The key question is....

....what's the modern day Winchester Club going to be like? Some of the best scenes in Minder were the banter between Dave, Arfur & Terry/Ray.

"VAT, Dave - better make it a large one." They sure don't make 'em like that any more.

22. Chris Hunt

Oi, that's bang out of ordah!!!

But if they have to do it, I propose Ms Bee for the role of "'er indoors".

23. pctechxp

With so many talented actors

Why do they have to pick this dullard.

I would have been interested as used to watch it when I was a kid but no way.

24. pctechxp

Should be...

A nice little earner

This topic is closed for new posts.