back to article Facebook, AWS team up to produce open-source PyTorch AI libraries, grad student says he successfully used GPT-2 to write his homework....

Hello El Reg readers. If you're stuck inside, and need some AI news to soothe your soul, here's our weekly machine-learning roundup. Nvidia GTC virtual keynote coming to YouTube: Nvidia cancelled its annual GPU Technology Conference in Silicon Valley in March over the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. The keynote speech was …

1. b0llchit Silver badge
    Pint

Business school

Well, if GPT-2 can write an essay that passes in an MBA course, then the only viable conclusion would be that MBAs ramble incoherently. And that is, generally speaking, an accepted premise: MBAs are incoherent and ramble about anything. There is a silver lining here, which we all must appreciate. The fears that robots would only replace the working class are no longer true. Management will also be replaced by robots.

So, we do not need any workforce for production. We do not need any management in the corporation. And, beancounters are already replaced by computers tabulating results. That leaves us with marketing,... hm..., no, they are replaced by Google. That means we can do away with HR too. The end result is a new form of corporation ruled by our robotic overlords. We humans shall only consume and the robots will produce. Hm, I guess there is a decimal-error in this economic setup, somewhere, hidden in a software bug. Yay! nothing changed. The MBAs also place decimals wrongly at regular intervals.

Everything is changed and it all stayed the same. You must love progress to appreciate the irony.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Re: Business school

I suspect that GPT-2 uses a heavy dose of buzzword bingo.

I have a half century old BS in Commerce (now called a BBA) and BS was and is entirely appropriate.

2. AmateurBrainSurgeon
      Black Helicopters

Re: Business school

With all labour (workers and management) replaced by machines, nobody is earning any money. So, who is going to be able to buy all of these products?

2. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
    WTF?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

"It also doesn’t care about facts, which is why it won’t be good as a collaborator for subjects such as history and science. ®"

That makes it the perfect AI tool for every politician and their sycophants.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: perfect AI tool for every politician and their sycophants

Indeed. Even better if they are PPE (no not that PPE) graduates. To pass the 'E' part of that course, all you have to do is 2+2 = 4.

Disclaimer.

I have an MBA. I did it so that I could learn the 'MBA Speak language' and tell them to 'bog off in words that they understood. Worked a dream.

Posting as AC because my employer knows nothing about the MBA. I don't want to be a manager ever.

3. Anonymal coward

A new tomorrow for conservatism...

"It also doesn’t care about facts..."

Yay! RoboTrump and AutoBoris can be simple VMs...

1. b0llchit Silver badge
      Alert

Re: A new tomorrow for conservatism...

Yay! RoboTrump and AutoBoris can be simple VMs...

Are you sure they are living persons today? I do not think that the present form we see and hear can pass the Turing Test.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A new tomorrow for conservatism...

BBC, Channel 4, sky the guardian and the Labour Party have already been using GPT-2 to write their stories and policies.

That can be the only excuse for the similarities of their reporting and consistency of the fake news published across their platforms.

A recent bbc example

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1270771/BBC-news-bias-Kate-Hoey-BBC-apology-live-tv-Mike-Graham-NHS-PPE-row

4. jelabarre59

YT video?

Knowing YouTube, the NVidia CEO Keynote will get interrupted **mid-sentence** at least twice. Probably by ATI and Intel ads.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trump - powered by GPT2

"when responding to a statement or question. Its output quality begins to fall apart, becoming incoherent or absurd, as it rambles in subsequent paragraphs. It also doesn’t care about facts,"

AC - obviously

6. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Machine-generated prose is nothing new

Machine generation of non-fiction prose is not only well-established but commercially viable, as I've noted before. This is almost certainly not the first case of a student handing in machine-generated work, and it won't be the last.

Personally, I'm not particularly impressed by GPT-2, which doesn't seem to improve on the state of the art and is known mostly for a marketing stunt.

7. Chris Clawson
    Coat

"Its output quality begins to fall apart, becoming incoherent or absurd, as it rambles in subsequent paragraphs. It also doesn’t care about facts, which is why it won’t be good as a collaborator for subjects such as history and science."

Well, now we know who writes Donald Trump's speeches.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like