back to article AWS announces new single-purpose on-prem hardware and tie-in storage tier

AWS has announced a very niche piece of on-prem tech and a related new cloud storage tier. The new box is called the “AWS Elemental Link” and it has just one purpose in life: “a configuration-free, cost-efficient way to securely and reliably transfer video to MediaLive for delivery to viewers.” MediaLive is AWS’ cloudy media …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Someone should do this for video conferencing

We all know by now that Zoom was lying about using an unusual definition of the whole end-to-end-encrypted thing, and that end-to-end-encrypted multiway video conferences are actually rather hard. But if the thing that sits at the centre of the conference and need access to the unencrypted content is within an organisation's network, then the problem is mostly solved for that organisation (and of course, the kinds of organisations I'm thinking about might even be more-or-less required to keep copies of things for compliance, which this box could then do without relying on a bunch of crooks Zoom to do it for them, in a legislation run by criminals with poor privacy protections). So if someone just provided a plug-and-play device with Jitsi, or something, sitting on it & with automagic security patches &c, I bet a lot of people would like that.

1. FrogsAndChips Silver badge

Re: Someone should do this for video conferencing

I think you've misunderstood the product. All the box does is take your existing videos and uploads them to Amazon's video delivery service (MediaLive). It doesn't stream videos to other users, that's what MediaLive does, and it's not on-prem.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I wasn't interested in what this box did: certainly not in whether it did anything related to video streaming. What I was interested in was the idea of a preconfigured appliance that would solve the videoconference insecurity problem: it's the preconfigured appliance bit that is interesting.

2. DonL

"So if someone just provided a plug-and-play device with Jitsi, or something, sitting on it & with automagic security patches &c, I bet a lot of people would like that."

Nextcloud Talk works very well and there are devices that have it pre-installed:

https://nextcloud.com/devices/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like