back to article China and Taiwan aren't great friends. Zoom sends chats through China. So Taiwan has banned Zoom

A parliamentary order issued yesterday says the nation’s Department of Cyber Security (DCS) has decided that when government agencies, and some private entities, use videoconferencing: “The underlying video software to be used should not have associated security or privacy concerns, such as the Zoom video communication service …

1. nanchatte

Makes sense

Considering how China will refuse to do business with any company or country that recognizes Taiwan as a sovereign state.

Taiwan also certainly don’t want the motherland gathering dirt on them since they will do anything to frame prominent Taiwanese citizens as political dissidents.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

People don't learn...

But Taiwan did. Stop dealing with anything or anyone that uses, endorses, is controlled by, is made at, and depends on China for anything, at any level. They already caused enough damage as it is around the world.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: People don't learn...

This CoViD-19 crisis is slowly opening some eyes. I think things might turn around. I've certainly decided to try and avoid "made in China" as much as possible. This is however not so easy, as even things that are not marked as made in China often still contain many, many parts that originate there.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Devil

we are expected to abide by any patent a manufacturer in China has on any equipment that is made there, if we make it "on shore". But of course, THEY can do what they want if they don't get caught...

I hear 'made in Mexico' is a cool thing these days, too! [OK I'm 30 minutes away from Mexico so I'm a little biased, but happy to promote manufacturing there for any labor-intensive process that makes sense to build in Mexico]. Competitive prices, too.

There are hidden costs to building things in China rather than your own country. Those hidden costs have become a *bit* more obvious, haven't they?

(don't get me wrong, I like China, but I don't like their government, nor the way that government treats their own people, and the way that government treats THE REST OF THE WORLD)

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

The lesson to learn is not about any one state; the US is as dangerous a loose cannon as any at the moment as Germany discovered trying to buy face masks.

The lesson should be about proper risk analysis and taking any new supplier at face value.

3. A random security guy

People ignore security issues

Just saw a note from a person, a technology director at a video streaming company, who said that Zoom’s security issues aren’t a problem because the ease of use is more important.

Someone asked him if he had read Bruce Schneier’s blog. He was was very dismissive

Another was a CISSP who stated that the issue was overhyped.

So it is very clear that people don’t care unless they are personally impacted. Like they get fired or lose money.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: People ignore security issues

"a technology director at a video streaming company, who said that Zoom’s security issues aren’t a problem because the ease of use is more important."

this deserves a *FACEPALM* icon

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: People ignore security issues

> Another was a CISSP who stated that the issue was overhyped.

Tbh, the more I look into that certification, the less I think it's the dog's proverbials it's often lauded to be...

4. crayon

“The underlying video software to be used should not have associated security or privacy concerns, such as the Zoom video communication service.”

So basically they shouldn't use any kind of video conferencing software.

5. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Happy

As Endorsed by Boris Johnson & the Cabinet Office

Taiwan will pay. Oh how they will pay..

How do they expect to get their secrets leaked if they don't have the proper instruments ?

6. Silas S. Brown

Use Jitsi instead

Who knows what happens in Google and Microsoft's servers, but Jitsi and similar Free Software alternatives mean you can self-host.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Use Jitsi instead

'S funny just how many services on the internet have issues that could be addressed by self-hosting. If only there was a version of IP that had enough address space to make that technically feasible with 8 billion of us trying to self-host at once.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not alone

As our FI is under US regulations not to share data with companies (including foreign governments) that can't supply SOC16 or equivalent security documents for data integrity, and legal requirements in China for the government to have access to all data, we have had to ban Zoom for all communication that includes PII. We can still use it for chats with sales vendors, but that's all. Broadcom purchasing Symantec has forced us to change one of the products we use from them too, sadly, as it has served us well.

Several years ago we had to stop using GoToMyPC for the same reasons.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like