back to article Samsung's Q1 forecast defies coronavirus downward trends but it's unlikely to continue

Samsung has published its earnings guidance for Q1 2020, and it's looking fairly sunny for the South Korean tech conglomerate, with revenue and profit both expected to show year-on-year growth. Sales are forecat to hit ₩55 trillion (£38.8bn at today's exchange rates), up 5 per cent on Q1 in 2019, while profits are expected to …

1. djstardust

S20

It's too expensive.

Why have three models when one at a reasonable price would do.

Apart from that the Ultra is huge and not getting that good reviews.

Why they have to keep adding £50 to £100 each year is beyond me, but greed will get them in the end.

Same with their tellies, 65" model starts off at around £3500 and within 6 months it can be had for less than 2 grand.

Expect a fire sale soon folks!

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

Re: S20

My inner geek said "Get the ultra" my sensible self said "No way am I spending that kind of money on a phone". I've got an S20 5G because I wanted an upgrade from the S9 and I'm glad to say it was thankfully worthwhile. I skipped the S10 as I thought it was their first foray into this form factor with an under screen fingerprint sensor and wasn't going to suffer any issues they've had (only to find they've used the same sensor!).

I don't understand why they've decided to alienate their customers who liked owning their flagship phones knowing they were getting better value for money than iFans by releasing premium varients of the same model. I won't fall for it and they can sod off if they ever think I will pay to be in their premium club. I don't imagine in the long run they will sell enough ultras to justify their decision.

Samsung succeed when they're not trying their hardest to ape Apple and chase their margins.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

This makes sense.

With nothing to spend my money on for 4 months, saving money on petrol, gym membership and visits to the parents, I've now got a spare 2.5k lying around that I could splash out on a Galaxy Fold!

Even better as the delicate thin won't get dropped on gravel or rained on because we are not allowed outside. And it's bigger than the phone for watching Netflix on bed.

Sales must be skyrocketing!

[We have to laugh else we would cry]

3. mark l 2 Silver badge

Without doubt we are in for a recession bigger than the one that came after the financial crisis in 2008. And unless you business is in making PPE, food retail, pharmaceuticals or similar that are currently in high demand your going to see a reduction in profits in 2020.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"Bullard said Sunday he did not believe the U.S. economy or jobs market was in 'free fall' "

Don't you just love it when an important official talks about his personal beliefs as if they were fact ?

On April 1st, the USA had 163,199 declared cases of COVID-19, and was accruing them at a rhythm of 22,559 per day. Six days later, there are 307,318 total cases, and 33,510 more per day.

The US economy may not be in free fall today, but your words are going to come back to haunt you sooner rather than later.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like