back to article G-Technology puts SSD RAID in your pocket

G-Technology announced an exceedingly compact, exceedingly snappy, exceedingly durable, exceedingly expensive portable drive at this week's Macworld Expo. The solid-state G-RAID mini SSD is available in 250GB and 500GB capacities, can be formatted as either RAID 0 or RAID 1, and has eSATA, FireWire 800, FireWire 400, and USB 2 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lionel Baden

Recession ??

Im guessing these guys dont really read the news much

$1000 for a 250 gig hdd

Hohnestly could you really justify that sort of spending !

2. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Stunning kit!

Who said hard drives is dead?

3. b
    Thumb Up

wow 195mb/s!

yeah SDD raid, i think i'm getting a lazy-on!

will 2009 be the year of the SSD?

i hope so..i can def see me getting one this year, just hope they sort out the format..

cheers,

bill

p.s. stuff and nonsense: http://www.eupeople.net/forum

4. b166er

How much?!

And no ethernet either, poopy

5. Rob
    Thumb Up

solid drives

Cannot speak for the SSD but Ive used G-Tech drives since working over the pond the last few years and they are very reliable, much better than the cheapo plastic drives out there.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

stocking stuffer?

oh my god, if this is the kind of thing that finds its way into christmas stocking at your house, I want to be there next chrimbo!

on a more realistic note.. I have about 6GB of ddr2 667 RAM in 256MB sticks, thanks to all the apple macs we buy then upgrade the RAM ourselves. Any suggestions what to do with it?

7. Matt

title

no ethernet.. I wouldnt expect it to have any... its way too small for a nas, its a small capacity drive aimed I expect at mobile HD video types...

8. raving angry loony

RAID

Anyone remember when it used to mean "Reliable Array of INEXPENSIVE Disks"? Before the likes of HP, IBM, Sun, EMC and others got their grubby paws on it and quietly changed it to "independent" from "inexpensive" so they could sell monstrously expensive disks as part of their arrays? This is just more of the same. RAID (RAID 5, when "RAID 0" and "RAID 1" were more honestly called "striped" and "mirrored" before the marketing asshats got hold of it and started misleading people that everything was "RAID" this and "RAID" that) was to be used with cheap disks that failed, but you didn't care that they failed because the array just kept working. SSD don't fit that category of "cheap disks".

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like