back to article Microsoft names priority users for new Azure capacity – emergency services, government, remote workers top the list

Microsoft is to prioritise healthcare and government users as it adds Azure capacity during the COVID-19 pandemic. In a post without a byline made over the weekend, the company said: "As demand continues to grow, if we are faced with any capacity constraints in any region during this time, we have established clear criteria …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft and Free?

Now there's a marriage that you don't see very often.... /s /s

Oh wait... wasn't the free stuff just to get you hooked? Sorta like those drug dealers ain't they?

2. steviebuk Silver badge

And how..

...do they work who is important?

1. LucreLout

Re: And how..

And how..

...do they work who is important?

Like they said in the article - healthcare, supply chain etc. I'm afraid if your "business model" is hawking "ok boomer" t-shirts to moaning millennial's, then outrageously you may find your business isn't viewed as important just now.

I have a sideline that uses compute to throw off a little extra walking around money, which I've suspended for the duration in order that the compute, the bandwidth, and the power can be put to more important uses. (The compute:profit ratio is heavily on the compute side).

2. Dinanziame Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: And how..

If you have to ask...

3. Richard 12 Silver badge
    Facepalm

...the core functionality of Teams

So if your employer went Cloudy, you'll all be able to chat about how none of you can do any work.

I'm sure that will really help keep businesses running smoothly.

I just hope the logistics, food and medical industries kept all their essential IT functions on-premises.

1. LucreLout

Re: ...the core functionality of Teams

So if your employer went Cloudy, you'll all be able to chat about how none of you can do any work.

My employer went mixed mode a while back, and our cloudy part has proven as reliable as our on-prem. The on-prem part worries my most as its in our offices which are in lockdown, and we quite rightly can't ask staff to go to the DC floor in these times. I'm trying to actively disallow it as it's not something I'd want my kids doing when they grow up, so I don't want your folks kids doing it now.

The cloudy part I can port to another geography with a small code change, should the need arise.

I'm not saying you need one or the other, you need both, but being able to dump my compute in a virus free zone , when one emerges, in order to protect people "going to work" in virus hot spots, seems fairly responsible.

4. trolleybus

There are different kinds of free

The biggest area of free is probably individual free OneDrive. But there's also free Office 365 nonprofits. Some charities may be essential services (air ambulances, hospices and so on) so I hope their use isn't curtailed.

5. MatthewSt

They're not kidding

Wasn't really expecting this to affect us, as we're quite small-fry in the cloud, but we're unable to scale up to a 2nd Batch server today! Not that we need it as most of our customers don't appear to be working either...!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like