back to article HMRC warns over tax email scams

The Treasury has taken the unusual step of warning UK taxpayers of a phishing scam doing the rounds, which looks to ensnare frantic last-minute tax return filers. Bogus email warnings designed to trick citizens into handing over sensitive personal details are circulating in the run-up to the 31 January Self Assessment tax …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Odd

Given HMRCs record of accuracy and accountability, along with the current governments desire to tax us all to death, whilst cutting all the services our tax is supposed to pay for, I regard anything coming from HMRC as a scam automatically.

Pirates, because HMRC are little better than the old privateers (and anon so I've got time to fashion my tinfoil hat before the black helicopters come out...)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The council keeps

Sending me council tax reminders, if I think they are scam letters can I use it as my defense.

Anonymous because, I owe tax

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    Thumb Down

Six of one......

They're saying a mail that appears to come from HMRC might actually be from a vile thieving scrote who you wouldn't piss on if he was on fire?

I can see the problem. How the hell is anyone supposed to tell the difference here?

4. Mister_C

Phishers aided by HMRC

The missus got a missed call on her mobe earlier this week. She called back and it was one HMRC's finest querying her self assessment stuff. No nasty or threatening stuff involved, but she tried to verify the caller's authenticity after the radio broke this story yesterday.

First call the the tax bods was an automated system that cut her off. She eventually got through to a human who gave her another number to call and another human with another number .... <snip boring bit> .... and eventually she was able to validate the original call.

Any chance of HMRC briefing their own staff with the correct info or - heaven forbid - an easy to use number being advertised?

Lesson is, as always, don't trust _anyone_ wanting to discuss finances with you. Downside is that HMRC have powers that even the TV licence Gestapo daren't assume.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like