back to article Two years late, but upgrade wave finally washes a billion folk onto Windows 10 as its Android phone waits in the wings

While Azure wobbled and Windows was updated, the Microsoft gang continued toiling away with Python, Portuguese and Private Link for its cloud and an altogether more down to earth way uninstalling .NET. One beeeeellion Windows 10 users Corporate veep of Modern Life, Search & Devices at Microsoft, Yusuf Mehdi was hopping about …

1. chivo243 Silver badge
    Windows

Over a Billion served?

That number is inflated. I did it. You don't want to know how many Win10VMs I've installed and blown up. New feature in a new update/upgrade, borked something that was working, New VMs for all my friends at the bar... It's faster to deploy from template than rollback snapshots

1. MatthewSt

Re: Over a Billion served?

Monthly active devices takes that into consideration (unless you did them all this month). It's not the number of cumulative installs, it's the number of devices that have sent them telemetry in the last month.

Still, I reckon I'm contributing 6 to that number

2. WolfFan Silver badge

What’s Brazilian Portuguese for

“Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries” ?

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: What’s Brazilian Portuguese for

Or Cuy aka Cavy aka Guinea Pig? Maybe Italy and Peru.

3. Mage Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

How many chose to buy it?

It's the most bogus figure in the history of Windows due to the way they practically forced it on existing Windows users as well as the fake end of retail end user support for XP and then recently Win7. They are still supporting Win7, just not to the public, purely out of ego to boost Win10 deployments that they make little or no money from. Public updates to Win7 would cost them almost nothing.

Windows XP ended on April 14, 2009 and paid Extended support for desktop ended on April 8, 2014, however support and distribution of patches continued for years after that if you set that your XP was a POS terminal. You could ignore all non-security upgrades.

Win 10 is more about corporate Ego and being a Cloud Services client. XP (A fixed Win 2000) and Win 7 (a fixed Vista) were the last two decent Desktop OS from MS. Better to migrate to something else now.

Also they have practically abolished QA & Test. The Windows Insider program is a failed crowd sourced testing scheme. Corporate marketing and Cloud people have too much MS Control. In reality Win7 will be getting security patches for years. Just not to the Public.

POSReady 2009 (XP SP3) Extended support ended on 9th April 2019

Windows Embedded POSReady 7 Mainstream support ended on 11th October 2016. Extended support for Windows 7 ended on 14th January 2020

Extended support forecast to end on October 12, 2021. Likely will be extended. Paid desktop Win 7 support till at least Sept 2021

1. Tim99 Silver badge
      Windows

Re: How many chose to buy it?

MS, back in the days, is one reason why I look like this >=======>

Some of us thought that XP was a just a borked 2000. The very idea - A Playdough interface and plug-and-pray pasted on quite a pleasant stable (for Microsoft) OS. Even cutting down the screen overload with Classic mode did not help that much.

2. simonlb Silver badge

Being completely honest, the only version of Windows I ever willingly paid for was 7 because at the time it was worth it and I liked it. Over time though, the constant updates became a pain and after avoiding GWX and a whole stack of other 'updates' which were designed to push you to installing 10, subsequent updates seemed to break random stuff for no good reason. As I could see no alternative I moved to Linux and am perfectly happy there.

I still use Win7 in a VM (with internet disabled) and grudgingly installed 10 in a VM last week - it truly is an absolutely abysmal UI and the whole experience is just awful. Just giving it a Win7 mode would be at least 1000 times better. Personally, my initial hatred of 10 is thoroughly vindicated now. Paid for or free - I still would never use Win10 as the main OS for any of my home PC's.

1. Blackjack Silver badge

I paid for Windows 7 to avoid using Windows 8 and it was a good idea at the time.

Now I just go online using my Phone or Linux Mint as I refuse to upgrade the Windows 7 laptop that I mostly use for games anyway.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

At the time I liked Windows 3.11 for Workgroups…

MS has got some things right, broken some things deliberately (Program Manager, system type faces) and one of the worst records on SDKs (MFC, DLL hell, OLE) ever.

1. Blackjack Silver badge

Ah 3.11 so many fun games... and also Internet... slow as hell, but Internet!

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I recently paid for licence for the professional version from lizenzgo because OEM bulk licences can be traded legally in Germany and I wanted to be able to connect to customer domains if required: yeah, Microsoft just loves those tiered licences…

4. Dave 15

At last

After much discontent with the slower than a slug, blue screen (or even a new thing the back screen) of death, continually upgrading data grabbing monster called windows 10 the company I am contracting with is buying us all Linux boxes.

Well after time.

I worked at Microsoft, mainly on their mobile stuff (back before phone and pocket pc merged), I would be ashamed to be associated with Windows 10 and have already moved my family and business to linux

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like