back to article EU files anti-trust charges against Intel

After years of investigation, the European Commission has issued formal charges against Intel today, for alleged anti-competitive business practices against rival AMD. "I can confirm the statement of objections has been sent," EC spokesman Ton Van Lierop told Reuters. The EU has been sniffing around Intel's business …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jags

Knock knock...

An EU official to another: we need Money...Alott & FREE, can you think of any thing

2nd Official: D'uh...US companies...Microsoft, Google, Intel...they all are evil & they all make tons of money

1st: How do they do that(make money)? do they have like thousands of employees & spend billions on R&D or something...

2nd: Do you want FREE money or not?

1st: Sorry, I was like started 'thinking' or something

2nd: Now you just listen, let's just slap Intel for few billions

1st: But what we'd tell the world about it?

2nd: D'uh...its pretty simple...we'd just say, Intel makes better & faster processors than AMD. And you know what most of the US & rest of the world will support & celebrate 'we slapping Microsoft, Google, Intel'...

1st: What if US government protest or something...

2nd: Dude, do you ever watch/read like TV/News! US government is sooo unpopular in the US, if they even dare to protest, all of the US will beg us up to slap Intel even more...

1st: Dude you are like a genius or something

2nd: I studied at Harvard & Yale but don't tell anyone.

2. Chris

Crock

This is such a load of horse shit. Just like the MS case all over again.

Someone isn't creating a product that people want, so all of a sudden people decide that it means that the company MUST be doing something wrong.

How about no folks?

Intel and MS got where they are because of their products...if people didn't want their products, they would never have become popular to begin with. It's just too easy for people to throw mud at them because they are the big guys. Just cause youre a large company, doesnt mean that you must have done some horrible thing to get there.

Why doesnt the EU find someone in their own backyard to blame things on for a change? Yeah the U.S. kicked their butt in the tech and aviation fields....build a bridge and get over it.

3. Brian Miller

Knock Knock 2

One intel senior marketeer to another(1 1/2 years ago...)

1st:AMD have been making better processors for like 5 years now

2nd: don't worry about it, we are flogging the slaves down in the R&D labs and they are sure to come up with something.

1st: I suppose your right, after all if they don't they will die from starvation as we are reducing their lunch breaks and forcing them to do more and more overtime

2nd: Anyway we still see more revenue because we sell our chips at twice the price

1st: Yeah, and we have landed huge contracts to supply through, lying, cheating, and strong-arming

2nd: Thats right, Lets go eat some babies.....

4. Jags

Knock knock...

[guess my comments posted earlier didn't go thru]

An EU official to another: we need Money...Alott & FREE, can you think of any thing

2nd Official: D'uh...US companies...Microsoft, Google, Intel...they all are evil & they all make tons of money

1st: How do they do that(make money)? do they have like thousands of employees & spend billions on R&D or something...

2nd: Do you want FREE money or not?

1st: Sorry, I was like started 'thinking' or something

2nd: Now you just listen, let's just slap Intel for few billions

1st: But what we'd tell the world about it?

2nd: D'uh...its pretty simple...we'd just say, Intel makes better & faster processors than AMD. And you know what most of the US & rest of the world will support & celebrate 'we slapping Microsoft, Google, Intel'...

1st: What if US government protest or something...

2nd: Dude, do you ever watch/read like TV/News! US government is sooo unpopular in the US, if they even dare to protest, all of the US will beg us up to slap Intel even more...

1st: Dude you are like a genius or something

2nd: I studied at Harvard & Yale but don't tell anyone.

5. Andraž Levstik

@Chris

You must be living under a rock or something. M$ didn't get where it is due to it's products... It got there due to strongarming OEMs to inclued always pre-installed software etc... This included things like you ONLY install our OS and no other on ANY of your products... I'm guessing intel did the same thing... you want to sell our hardware sure but you only sell OUR hardware... etc...

6. Shad

RE: Knock Knock and a Crock

This is not the first time Intel has played dirty. Tomshardware guide was instrumental in mobilizing the internet community in the late 90's when Intel was threatening motherboard manufactures who made AMD based MBs with "support chipset delays" for the Intel line... it does not take a genius to figure out that nobody is going to risk 80% of their business for 20% of it.

This is just another example of of a long history. Intel is not a company with a lot of ethical scruples it seems.

And no, intel does not make better CPU's. Anybody who knows core architecture knows that Intel has being playing catchup with AMD for damn near ten years now (since the k5). They license and, if AMD and others are right, steal technology to maintain their lead in the marketplace.

The problem is 80% of computer users would prefer to ostrich themselves (burry their heads in the sand) and continue to pretend that they are not slaves to Intel spin (Kinda like Mercedes owners who tell you how perfect the car that spends 6 months of every year in the repair shop is).

7. Walter Brown

Amen

Shad,

Thank you for telling it how it is...

Intel cannot and has not made a superior product since the day Dec went under and laid off all of thier engineers and AMD hired them... Intel has been looking up ever since, and will continue to do so for all eternity.

Not only did Tom's hardware mobilize the internet against Intel for brutalizing OEMs, Tom's Hardware and Anandtech together brought Intel to its knees over the P3 1133 flop, Intel knowingly released a flawed, unstable and worthless 1133 chip, and used bully tactics to silence the critics, but Tom and Anand were having none of that, in an almost fairy-tale like David and Goliath the fought Intel and pressed on with their case, and after several months, with no holes to crawl in to and no more weapons to fire, Intel finally crumbled and recalled 80,000 CPU's.

if you think AMD is just whining, i suggest you open your eyes and look at history a bit... Intel has f*cked AMD long and hard for years, well before the release of the athlon, just read the court papers, Intel had paid AMD billions in settlements over the years for unlawful practices and breach of contracts.

heres a little math for you... what do you get when you cross a K6-3 and a Dec Alpha?

Athlon64 (and Intel screaming oh shit!)

8. Matt Jordan

Adverts

Hehe, yeah I've always been an AMD boy for the well known reasons...

Joe Blogs tends to get sucked in by the adverts and not trust AMD because to them they dont have the branding.

Ask any one that goes for Intel if they think advertising works hehe

9. Ryan Stewart

Advertising works because....

When shopping for mobile processors intel had LV and ULV options that blew away AMDs specs when it came to power use. And lower power uses typically means lower heat.

Since we are changing a good amount of our fleet over to mobile Intel will continue to win there.

As for machines that live on the mains I have always been open-minded. AMD put out good chips but they have required a bit more power and cooling.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like