back to article Shhh! It's us, Microsoft. Yes, it's 2020. We're here with a new build of Windows 10

Happily for those still reacting negatively to sunlight after New Year's festivities, the new version of Windows 10 Microsoft has flung at Fast Ring fanboys and girls was a tad on the muted side. And, of course, thanks to the exciting way in which Microsoft is now handling the Windows Insider program, there is no guarantee …

1. chivo243 Silver badge
    Windows

XP Home Edition!

Burn it with fire! NOW!

1. DJV Silver badge

Re: XP Home Edition!

I'd rather burn Windows 10 with fire and go back to a fully supported Windows 7, thank you very much!

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Why?

1. DJV Silver badge

Telemetry, broken File Explorer search (since 1909 and insider releases, and MS totally failing to do anything about even though they've known about it since at least September 2019), forced updates (pausing is NO substitute for full control), more telemetry, complete lack of testing by MS (1809 and other problems), an uncustomisable Start Menu (thank goodness for OpenShell!), Explorer random crashes (ok, so that one's been around for ages but THEY STILL HAVEN'T FUCKING WELL FIXED IT!), updates that reset various things I've set up...

...shall I go on?

1. chivo243 Silver badge
            Unhappy

I feel your pain, but Home Edition was a silly experiment that we still feel to day... How many flavors of Vanilla do we need? How many builds of Vanilla?

I'll only say that networking for Home Edition was fscked... to dredge up any other bad memories would cost me at the pub or the shrink.

2. sum_of_squares
            Trollface

>complete lack of testing by MS

I've heard this so often and it's just plain wrong. This may come as a surprise, but Microsoft does a lot of testing.

Last time I checked they had more than 200,000,000 beta testers all over the world..

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

You can't DUCK! a Nuke

2. DJV Silver badge

"Last time I checked they had more than 200,000,000 beta testers all over the world"

Yep, they do - now if only they would actually LISTEN to some of them!

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Linux

"I'd rather burn Windows 10 with fire and go back to a fully supported Windows 7, thank you very much!"

and Khaptain asked: "Why?"

Answer: TOO MANY REASONS TO LIST HERE! But I'll start with these:

a) 2D FLATTY FLATSO McFLATFACE FLUGLY UI design with "The Metro" "The Start Thing" UWP and "The Settings": and all of that "change because *WE AT MICROSHAFT FEEL* in spite of what customers actually want"

b) The Spyware and The Adware built into the OS.

c) The Store

d) The MIcrosoft Logon - able to track you WHEREVER you are online, or ON! YOUR! OWN! COMPUTER! for that matter! If they haven't already leveraged this, they will at some point.

On a related note...

recently I swapped in a new hard drive for a relative's older laptop, with Devuan Linux and Mate. It originally came with Vista. The performance benefits alone are worth it, but at least the system will NOW be maintainable... And the owner of this computer is a "content consumer", and it took only a short time (read: a few minutes) to re-learn to use a Mate desktop vs what was set up before in Vista. Lots of "thank you" responses. Data files and settings were preserved when possible. I copied _everything_ that was in C:\Users into the new file system, just in case.

even e-mail settings were just copied because the windows system was using thunderbird...

(ok remind me why people are actually USING WNIDOWS 10 again?? Because someone like ME hasn't come along and converted them over to Linux, right?)

1. RyokuMas
            FAIL

"Because someone like ME hasn't come along and converted them over to Linux, right?"

Oooh, this feels like deja vu...

At least (as far as I remember) Eadon only used caps in his "EPIC [insert Microsoft thing here] FAIL" sign-offs, and none of the juvenile AOL emphasis stuff.

2. My other car WAS an IAV Stryker

I don't know what edition it is, but my podiatrist's office is using XP -- standard themed taskbar/Start and everything -- at least in the exam/treatment rooms.

If they have a data breach, just imagine the horror: someone might just find out my shoe size, weight and BP and body temperature at each visit, and how many warts I've been having treated and how many visits it's taken so far. (Their card payments unit is a little, independent unit so I'm not worried about anything useful getting stolen.)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Local branch of a national 'discount' supermarket chain, all their tills are XP pro based, and then there's their WLAN....'secured' by WEP (but hey, as I've a tribe of furry little overlords to feed, if the IT parsimony of the supermarket chain helps keep down the cost of the cat food they peddle that my overlords currently deign to eat, who am I to complain?...and only use cash when shopping there)

They're lucky the locals populating the nearby housing are mostly knuckle draggers, junkies and pensioners, had the place been a wee bit closer to the local college, things could have been a bit more 'interesting'.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

One of my customers is a UK Tier 1 retailer.

Much of their older POS Estate is on XP Embedded, with all of their their back office servers running Windows Server 2003R2 and SQL 2000.

2. My other car WAS an IAV Stryker

Thanks for the reminder regarding supermarkets...

The "self checkout" stations at our regional hypermarket** chain also run XP, I think (or possibly something even older like 2000; could have just been an NT / 2000-like theme). Not sure about the staffed checkouts.

** Hypermarket: full supermarket + department store. More food and less merch than a (former glory) Kmart, and regional, not national like Walmart.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Boring.

It seems that every week on here there is an update on a "new" build of Windows 10. So my question is the same here as in Windows 10... how do I stop these updates?

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Re: Boring.

You don't, welcome to the Hotel California ;)

1. Rich 11

If only this Hotel California included Susie the Bear...

2. fidodogbreath

That feeling when you're on the fast ring.

3. Jou (Mxyzptlk) Silver badge

Waving hand: ARM64 user

On Lumia 950 XL in my case....

And indeed I want to know whether the Firefox is an actual ARM64 executable or running emulated... Since there is only a web installer and no offline installer I am not sure whether it installed the right version.

1. fnusnu

Re: Waving hand: ARM64 user

Throw it in the bin and buy a supported phone.

1. Jou (Mxyzptlk) Silver badge

Na, my main phone is Mi 9 with Qi. So the Lumia is free to use with a real OS.

2. IGotOut Silver badge

"Throw it in the bin and buy a supported phone."

As you have noticed his WinPhone is getting updates.

My much newer Android hasn't had one for several months.

Remind me which one is the supported phone again?

4. phuzz Silver badge
    Stop

"Timer work in English (United Kingdom) is a tad tricky due to all those pesky regional variations."

That's because we use a sensible date format, unlike the Yanks and their middle-endian nonsense.

(Although I will admit that the Japanese/ISO 8601 YYYY-MM-DD is the most sensible format)

1. Korev Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Completly agree, it's only the Americans who persist in such oddness...

1. AndrueC Silver badge
        Joke

Are we just talking about dates here or in general?

2. fidodogbreath

The ISO format has the added advantage of producing correctly-ordered results in a simple alphanumeric sort.

3. Philippe

ISO8601

Thanks, I just realised that the Japanese system is how I date contracts.

At least when you list them in Explorer they come up in the right order.

ISO8601 is officially my favourite ISO.

5. DJV Silver badge

Yeah, but have they fixed the completely borked search box in File Explorer yet?

If you've not hit it then see: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=file+explorer+1909+search+field+unresponsive

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't bother

Instead just download Ultrasearch from JamSoftware and give it a try. At least until Microsoft bothers to fix the issue.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        Boffin

Re: Don't bother

At least until Microsoft bothers to acknowledge the issue.

Improved that for you - No charge.

2. DJV Silver badge

Re: Don't bother

Ultrasearch falls at the first hurdle - doesn't search network drives, which is what I need to do.

2. Jou (Mxyzptlk) Silver badge

Windows + R

cmd

cd /d (drag and drop path from explorer)

dir *your*search* /b /s /a

3. 1752

FileLocator Lite

https://www.mythicsoft.com/filelocatorlite/download/

Searches shared drives and UNC's and searches inside main file types. Worth a look if you want a file search thingy.

6. Barry Rueger

Too Slow

My wife's HP laptop just did what I take was a pretty major Windows 10 update. Can anyone explain why this should take hours, and why every update requires a complete reboot?

This machine has been an endless battle from Day One, and still has significant issues with BBC I-player, but only at home, and only some times of the day - with a fibre connection and a series of different routers and mesh systems.

Obviously some of the problems lay at the feet of HP, but when I reboot with a Linux USB the performance issues disappear so Windows has to take the lion's share of the blame.

And that's ignoring the overall user interface...

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Re: Too Slow

I think, Barry, you've just made a case for a Linux laptop..... this is the year, I tell you

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They are not updates. They are complete backups/archives then downloads then installs. :/

Linux seems brighter every day.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Not really backups as you don't get the choice to rollback...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Mushroom

I presume you're referring to the feature updates, e.g. 1803 -> 1809.

They can be rolled back, but MS like to assume that if you've stuck with the new-fangled build for 10 days you clearly like it and/or it's working correctly* and so the old build goes away**.

* for certain definitions of "correct"

** or, at least, the option to roll it back does. I think the files loiter for a bit until you clear them out, but not certain.

3. Philippe

Is there a reason why you haven't installed that USB Linux on the hard drive yet?

My Wife's computer has been on Xubuntu for at least 2 years. I work in IT, I can't be arsed to deal with IT support in the evening too.

1. Barry Rueger

Sadly she uses a couple of Windows only applications and I have little faith in WINE's ability to handle them. Beyond that the process of moving everything from Windows to Linux is daunting given that machine is heavily used for several hours each day.

1. Bill Gray

If you've not given Wine another chance recently, you should consider doing so. It is by no means certain to work, especially if the code in question is buggy or uses some outré API call. But it's gradually gotten _much_ better, in my experience.

Though I can sympathize with the daunting nature of such a transfer. My mother was stuck on Windows for years because she needed to run a particular bit of payroll/accounting software for her husband's home business. Only solution was for him to retire. After he did that, Linux worked well for her. That solution is not open to everyone.

1. Barry Rueger

Haven't touched WINE since I discovered VirtualBox. I've got an elderly Vista instance that just moves happily from one machine to the next for the one accounting program that lives inside it.

1. Christopher Reeve's Horse
              Linux

And before the immediate impulse to down vote this suggestion... hold on a minute and work with me on this - someone needs to make a Linux GUI that looks and works exactly like Windows 10. There, I said it.

MS appear to be integrating more and more Linux into Windows. Lets start at the other end and meet in the middle? All the underlying system advantages of Linux, without anyone even realising it's not Windows! Even better if existing Windows applications and games etc can run transparently and seamlessly without any extra end-user complexity at all.

One computer to rule them all.

7. stonyfield

Why are they adding a column for architecture in the task manager? We already have one, it's called "platform".

8. Kev99 Silver badge

Task manager missing something?

I seem to remember that in XP, and 7 when you called up task manager the usual default window was of all applications that were running. In 10 only the processes pop up. Not good in my opinion.

9. yakacm

I'm guessing XP installs are probably increasing again as the retro gaming thing takes hold, the tech equivalent of having a record player. I just built myself on XP machine, not what I am using to post this BTW. I managed to source all the choicest components like a Pentium 4 with hyper threading, at 3.2 Ghz it real flies, well glides maybe, the 3.4Ghz ones go for stupid money so I settled on the 3.2, same for the graphics card I managed to get the second fastest Nvidia AGP card GTX 7850, again the the 7900 go for alarmingly large amounts of dough these days.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like