back to article Oh this 2019 timeline. Finish this sentence: Austrian politico accused of spending €3,000 a month on ...

Freemium mobile game Clash of Clans is perhaps best known for its enthusiastic use of celebrity endorsements in its advertisements, which have starred Liam Neeson, Christoph Waltz, and James Corden. Joining this star-studded lineup is one-time vice chancellor of Austria, Heinz-Christian Strache, who reportedly spent between €2 …

1. iron Silver badge

"Freedom Party"

You just know they're going to be anything but.

Much like Democratic People's Republic...

1. Paul Herber Silver badge

Splitters

2. JimboSmith Silver badge

To quote from Yes Prime Minister

East Yemen is helping.

Isn't that a democracy?

People's Democratic Republic of East Yemen.

Oh, I see,

It's a Communist dictatorship.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

For those unaware

The FPÖ was founded by actual Nazis after the end of the occupation of Austria. Unlike in Germany, which underwent a denazification process (and suffered a much longer occupation), Austria played the victim and sleazed out of any foreign interference by declaring themselves "neutral" (to be fair, there were advantages to both camps in allowing them to do that).

Just like the original, its ranks are filled by people with a deeply entrenched and not entirely unjustified sense of inadequacy about themselves.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

These are interesting times

I'm sure politicians are no more corrupt than they've always been, but it is quite interesting to see that getting caught nowadays gets you crucified in the Court of Public Opinion, and thanks to the Internet, it has consequences.

I don't know how we're going to adapt, but things are changing in the way politics has become public.

1. Long John Brass
      Black Helicopters

Re: These are interesting times

I think you are right on this; However the kangaroo court of public opinion cuts both ways :/

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I'm sure politicians are no more corrupt than they've always been, but it is quite interesting to see that getting caught nowadays gets you crucified in the Court of Public Opinion, and thanks to the Internet, it has consequences."

Yeah, consequences. Take a few lucrative directorships and stay out of the limelight for a few years, then all is forgotten.

1. ridley

I am not entirely certain that even that is needed anymore given what was said during the recent election.

At least in the past the politicians avoided answering the question rather than lying, now they just plain lie and no one seems to care.

3. sbt
      Flame

For every roach you see, there are ten more.

When democracy leads to politicians being held to account, politicians focus on avoiding being held to account. If we're not careful, the more secretive and repressive regimes will thrive, whereas the democracies will be paralysed by scandal, point-scoring and partisanship. Spoiler: It doesn't go well.

4. Mephistro
      Unhappy

Access to old videos, radio broadcasts and newspaper archives is, IMHO, the most useful part of the Internet for reining in politicians. Alas, that's a drop of water in the sea when compared to the effects of social media, fake news, finely targeted propaganda and human stupidity. 8^(

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Tweets from yesteryear are the gifts that keep on giving.

2. Sgt_Oddball
        Mushroom

"We have always been at war with Eastasia"

More than ever the true is now subjective...

5. macjules
      Coat

getting caught nowadays gets you crucified in the Court of Public Opinion

I do hope that there are separate areas for crucifixion according to which court of public opinion you have condemned by. Would hate to see Conservatives crucified in the same area as Labour.

6. Stork Silver badge

At the same time politicians seem to get away with a lot anyway. Pussygrapping and phonenicking does not have consequences (other sins available),

7. harmjschoonhoven

When this proposition (withholding grain from Sicily from the people) came to the ears of the people, it excited so great an indignation against Coriolanus, that, on coming out of the Senate, he would have been killed in a tumultuary manner, if the Tribunes had not summoned him to appear before them and defend his cause. This occurrence shows, as we have said above, how useful and necessary it is for a republic to have laws that afford to the masses the opportunity of giving vent to the hatred they may have conceived against any citizen; for if there exist no legal means for this, they will resort to illegal ones, which beyond doubt produce much worse effects.

Niccolò Machiavelli, Discorsi (1531), Book 1, Cap. VII.

8. tiggity Silver badge

No consequences for UK PM, who has a graveyard worth of skeletons in his cupboard

9. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> and thanks to the Internet, it has consequences.

In Austria's case, and to give them their due credit, it's nothing to do with the internet. People there, even the Nazis, still have a sense of honour in that if they get caught they'll usually own up to it.

Unlike say, Mr Babiš in the Czech Republic or a certain Mr Johnson in the soon to be United Kingdom of England and (maybe) Wales.

3. Blackjack Silver badge

Just think on how many games on Steam you could buy with that money...

Heck, just how many Switch Lites you could buy with just shat he expended in a month in that money sucking game?

1. Captain Scarlet

Re: Just think on how many games on Steam you could buy with that money...

Probably more than someone gets in wages in a month.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Gimp

vice chancellor

A chancellor for vice. Did he run the Ministry of Fun?

5. Martin Summers Silver badge

I admit, I play Clash of Clans, please don't judge me. I'm not sure how the hell you'd spend that kind of money on it without completing the game almost immediately. Kinda defeats the object of it although I'm sure Supercell aren't complaining. I did always wonder who on earth would be nuts enough to spend a hundred quid on one of their packages, I guess I know now!

1. Mephistro

Yep! The guy is a number at so many different levels that it's a miracle he isn't already interned in a mental asylum or serving time in prison.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not sure "miracle" is the word I'd use though.

2. david 12 Silver badge

What I was thinking, but I wouldn't have put it like that. Life and Career collapse, he self-medicates with addictive self-destructive behaviour: drugs, alcohol, gambling, or, in this case, computer gaming. For that at least I've got some empathy and he's got my sympathy.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In App purchases

Avoid, move on.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: In App purchases

Worse. Just seen an app I was using, and could have spent money on (was a "one time purchase, get everything on another game from the developer, and it was not everything, once bitten twice shy)... has been dropped and replaced by "version 2" which is even more a cash grab.

Sad to see a nice indie game go down the drain for greed. Many many developers bitten by it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like