back to article DeepMind founder behind NHS data slurp to be beamed up to Google mothership

Mustafa Suleyman, one of the founders of DeepMind, is to join Google's applied AI division. In August, Suleyman took "some personal time for a break to recharge" but promised he would return to DeepMind. Instead he's off to work with Jeff Dean and Kent Walker at Google looking at applied AI and health. The move underlines …

1. Mike Shepherd
    Meh

I'm sure it's all in our best interests

Doctor Google will see you now. But remember: he's already decided what's wrong with you and ordered your meds from Google Pharmaceuticals. You need only enter updated details for the credit card expiring this month.

1. MiguelC Silver badge
      Big Brother

Re: update credit card details

No need for that now, just sign up to Google Bank for your very personal account.

Google Bank, the bank that really knows you.

2. Robert Grant

Re: I'm sure it's all in our best interests

Your first diagnosis is free. Pay $5 to unlock the second!

2. DontFeedTheTrolls
    Childcatcher

If we really could consolidate and pool the health records of everyone the likelihood is we would make significant progress in medical research.

And right now I don't trust any of the interested parties in doing it safely, privately, and without their own agenda.

1. Chris G

Can you imagine if all the data went to Amazon?

"You recently had vasectomy, you may be interested in purchasing from one of our sperm banks. With Amazon prime you can get your fhoice of sperm in under 24 hrs."

1. RM Myers
        Thumb Down

More likely, you would get an ad for another vasectomy. No matter what I buy from Amazon, they then proceed to bombard me with "you might be interested in buying" the exact same thing.

1. Aussie Doc
          Coat

So true.

I can relate - I recently bought a metal lathe on eBay and since I disable some of the tracking add-ons so the site doesn't break, I was immediately told that people who bought this metal lathe also bought this other metal lathe.

Friends report similar when purchasing a car online via relevant dealership.

Places must think we're made of money or something.

My metalwork apron has pockets. --->

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

With Amazon prime you can get your fhoice of sperm in under 24 hrs

Pfft. Tinder is cheaper.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There are two separate issues that require more work:

a) does AI potentially provide useful assistance in healthcare? While the suspicion is yes, it seems a little immature at present with some of the early claims being wound back due to having significant caveats and insufficient data (i.e. a lot of medical data is weighted towards white men). While I have no issues with small, incremental improvements, this doesn't justify wholesale access to medical records.

b) access to medical information should require informed consent with clear guidelines around exactly how can that information be used and, in the event it is misused or "lost", ensure adequate compensation is paid to those who are affected. For instance if medical data with PII is provided to insurance companies.

While point (b) makes point (a) harder, I'm not convinced at this point that the benefits justify any potential risks of mis-use. What is the point in having a medical issue that is treatable due to AI when you can't get insurance to cover the treatment?

1. Claverhouse Silver badge

Well, after 50 years, the world's medical data will be completely weighted to Chinese Han people.

The present is merely a function of getting there first.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sensyne Health in the UK are interesting here - doing the same sort of thing, but UK based and part-owned by the NHS.

4. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Mushroom

... But War Is Interested In You

I've meet rather a lot of people in my life who've had absolutely no interest in computing or buying a computer. Few actively hostile but wanting nothing to do with them --- only changed by smartphones if you think people using smartphones are using computers. And fair play to them; no-one ought to be made to like anything.

Yet with with this, totally unsought, their normal lives are computerized by villains.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like