back to article Microsoft finds Huawei to get Chinese biz back on its sales ledger: US permits Redmond software supply line

The US Department of Commerce has decided to grant Microsoft a licence to flog its software to Huawei – America's fave bogeyman – despite the Commerce Secretary describing the Chinese company as "frightening". A Microsoft spokesman sent us a statement but was unable to answer further questions at the time of writing. "On …

1. mark l 2 Silver badge

Of course Huawei are being used as a bargaining chip in Trumps trade war with China. And I have no doubt the orange one will lift the ban once he get what he wants out of China in a trade deal. Even if people like Wilbur Ross will still be claiming that Huawei are a danger as Trump only listens to the advisers he wants to.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"once he get what he wants out of China in a trade deal."

I can see a scenario where he *thinks* he's won. In the short term, which as far ahead as he will be able to see. But I can also see the same scenario giving China what it wants in the longer term, which is how they have historically planned things.

2. veti Silver badge

If you think Trump actually wants a trade deal with China, I've got several hundred miles of brand-new wall along the Mexican border to sell you.

The vendetta against Huawei is posturing for his base, it's distracting from his malfeasance, it's creating new back channels for backhanders to him and his henchmen, and most importantly it's making companies like Microsoft play his game - instead of doing what they should be doing, which is calling bullshit on the whole thing. If companies like them apply for (and get) permits to do this kind of stuff, then that validates the "trade war" in general.

2. martinusher Silver badge

They're clueless so they're just spinning their wheels

Henry Kissinger, someone not noted for his dovish instincts, gave his thoughts on US/China relations a couple of months back. They're quite insightful:-

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/article/the-key-problem-our-time-conversation-henry-kissinger-sino-us-relations

Reading his remarks highlights just how clueless our present Administration is and how their uneven, piecemeal, approach to foreign policy is causing us harm rather than furthering our interests. (This has been obvious to many of us but since I don't have quite the statue that Henry Kissinger has when it comes to foreign relations its probably better to quote him.) What this means is that any policy initiatives from the US government about who's technology can be used where, what constitutes a threat and so on has absolutely no meaning or significance, its just an impediment to making progress that hopefully will become history in a year.

3. shinanygnz

Translation

"I am genuinely frightened by what we have learned from our investigations of them." = They make really good hardware at a sensible price that dumps all over that of the companies that lobby/pay me.

My P20 Pro is a flipping great phone, and when my dear old ma & pa asked me and my brother if we were worried about the Chinese tracking us, "What? On top of Google, Facebook, Cisco backdoors, bugger knows how many other intelligence services, Amazon, any sod else whose site we've even looked at, etc, etc. No"

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Re: Translation

Given that your "investigations" of them have not turned up a shred of proof that you can actually publish, it seems to me that you frighten easily.

Better stay home on Halloween, your heart might give out.

4. Venerable and Fragrant Wind of Change

Grownups in the room

Here we see the ones behaving rationally are Microsoft, Huawei, and (quote) also had a rare public statement from President Xi Jinping.

With of course most of the rest of Industry not explicitly mentioned in the article.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like