back to article Egypt offline for weekend after Med seabed cables cut

Internet and phone communications remain troublesome across much of the Middle East today, following a multiple undersea cable break in the Mediterranean on Friday. AP reports that the SEA-ME-WE4 and SEA-ME-WE3 cables were both broken between Sicily and Tunisia, and that a repair ship operated by France Telecom Marine is now …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. OS
    Paris Hilton

French Robot gropes bottom

heh.

Paris ? cuz if there's one bottom to grope, it's hers ....

2. jake Silver badge

Thus pointing out ...

Why N+1 redundancy is a good idea.

If you are living in a free society.

And why it isn't available if you're not.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

It's alright we have a backup route....

What do you mean we've lost the SEA-ME-WE3 route, it is backed up on SEA-ME-WE4 and FLAG. ....

Seems like the routes pretty much back each other up. All you need is a bad storm in the area and the ships drop anchor out at sea. They then trawl along the sea bed. Trouble is sub-sea fibre cables are pretty crap at holding a cargo ship in rough high seas.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Xmas Overtime!

Same as last year, spent all weekend bouncing traffic over to Singapore and the states on our ULH Mesh systems, just lucky that after all the ad-hoc work they did last year didn’t get taken down properly so it wasn’t too difficult for us to restore pretty much all our traffic. Took longer to get confirmation off the customers, guess they were all out on the piss (like the reg hacks when I first emailed them about this just a couple of hours after it first happened!)

One or two in Mumbai complaining about high latency but when your traffic used to go direct to India and is now heading out to Singapore and the US to get to India it is either that or nothing, you decide :-)

Mines the one with the pay check 16 hours at double time and a chit for two days off in lieu in the pocket

5. Andus McCoatover
    Happy

LEWIS!!!

Definitely scraping the bottom with that sub-heading. Wince.. ;-)

(Merry Christmas, BTW)

6. David
    Coat

Great!

Answerphone message = " Due to cable break in med your outlook doesnt work"

Me = Pub

7. baswell
    Pirate

See me wee?

SEA-ME-WE? Someone must have been taking the piss when they named that cable!

I bet it was pirates that cut the cable. Arrr!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

also

go (a maltese telecomms operator) lost their malta fibre too, leaving the island running on one 35mbit microwave link and the other fibre, both severely oversubscribed. This leaves many gaming operators with no or diminished comms to the rest of the world.

9. Flugal

Whatever happened....

...will happen again.

Perhaps a satellite link would be safer, given it's unlikely to get snagged by a spaceship's anchor. Obviously it's a more expensive option, but given the commercial costs of these seemingly inevitable anchor-based woes it seems, on the basis of no research whatsoever, the way to go in the longer run.

10. Ben XO
    Joke

See me what?

It all sounds rather exhibitionist to me.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a late entrant for strapline of the year?

" french robot gropes bottom"

12. Francis Boyle Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Nah, Use a satellite

and some space junk busting Klingon will just come along and reduce it to component atoms. Seriously though, the latency on a satellite link doesn't exactly make it an attractive alternative to cables - better to just let the Internet do what it was designed to do and route around the damage.

Thumbs up just for the subheading - it's the silly season after all.

13. Charles Smith
    Happy

Har Har Har

Yes Mr Chairman we'll offshore our helpdesk. Our punters will never know they are speaking to another country. What can possibly go wrong?

14. Martin Silver badge
    Unhappy

Use a satellite

These are terabit cables, satellite links can't handle anything like enough data.

That's why you have two cables as redundancy - of course if they both go into the same exchange on the same beach you are stuffed.

Like the boss putting the backup server next to the main server on the same power strip underneath the same leaky airconditioner.

15. jake Silver badge

No satellites.

Running internet links over satellites is a no-go. The gamers would overload the help lines bitching about ping times ... Not that any of the little spotty gits know what "ping"means ;-)

16. Mark Spooner
    Joke

Satellites

With all the satellites and network enabled UAVs over the middle east it seems like something could be worked out.

Are we sure Comcastic isn't at the bottom of this somehow? They like to break things every weekend........

17. pctechxp

bury them deeper

that should sort it

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like