back to article PowerPoint! Word! Excel! Lens! By your powers combined, I am Captain Mobile Office

Microsoft has released a public preview of a new Office for mobile devices, combining Excel, Word and PowerPoint into a single application and adding new features for quick actions such as converting images to text or creating and signing PDFs. This new app for iOS and Android was announced today at the company's Ignite event …

1. jonathan keith

Outlook

All very well and good, but can mobile Outlook now display Office365 Group calendars?

2. Test Man

When will ANY of the Office apps see the Personal Vault in OneDrive?

1. Gordon 10

Unfortunately since the Apps aren't in Vault club they're aren't allowed to talk about Vault club.

1. jonathan keith

... although they wouldn't be allowed to talk about Vault club even if they *were* in Vault club. Damn , that's a tricky one!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PowerPoint! Word! Excel!

why the (...) would anyone want to create / work on a document or excel file on a 5 - 6 inch screen beats me. But then, it's time when influencers replaced experts and primary school English teachers can't spell, and appear genuinely baffled when I'm genuinely baffled that they're genuinely baffled. Time to die :(

1. GlenP Silver badge

Re: PowerPoint! Word! Excel!

I wouldn't do extensive work on a spreadsheet on the mobile but it's a handy way of adding notes or small amounts of data when out-and-about.

2. katrinab Silver badge

You can update your expenses sheet / mileage log while you are on the road

Write notes to yourself that are available both on your phone and computer

All the sorts of things you would have previously used a pen + A6 notepad for

That after all is the whole point of having a smartphone.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

but why on earth are you working on the road, in your own time, presumably? Is it "because it's 2019 that's why"?

1. katrinab Silver badge
          Paris Hilton

Because not everything can be done over an internet connection

2. joeW

Not everyone works in the same location every day.

3. TheVogon

You mean that you don't travel only in paid time?! Other than commuting to and from a base office anything else is on the pay clock.

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

With Samsung's Dex I can connect my phone to a big screen and keyboard. And Word is great on my Gemini.

Not that I'm keen to edit Office files on it, just pointing out that there are more options than you might imagine.

4. Mark192

"why the (...) would anyone want to create / work on a document or excel file on a 5 - 6 inch screen beats me"

- I don't have a laptop/desktop with me so tiny screen is better than no screen

- I don't want to get my laptop out just to quickly check/alter something

- I'm viewing my phone screen on a TV or monitor and am using a full sized keyboard and mouse

Microsoft, I have in the linked press release, statement stated:

"The new Office mobile app represents our vision for what a productivity solution would look like if first built for mobile devices. In designing this new experience, we first considered how people’s expectations differ when using a phone versus a computer, so we set out to optimize for simplicity, efficiency, and common mobile needs. Next, we explored how to better incorporate the unique ways that people input data and create content on a mobile device – essentially turning the phone form factor from a liability for doing work into an asset."

Sounds like BS but it'll be interesting to see what they do.

5. Lazlo Woodbine

As a writer I use whatever is available when an idea strikes.

I was once out in Glasgow when an idea for a story arrived from nowhere, I convened to a nearby hostelry (it being Glasgow there were many nearby) and set about tapping the first 1,000 or so words of the story into Word on my phone.

Whilst I would never have considered publishing this story as is, there were far fewer typos than I expected when I edited it on my laptop later...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did anyone else think "Oh - a mobile version of Microsoft Works after all these years" ?

1. katrinab Silver badge

Did anyone else think: I've seen this on Android before they released the separate Word/Excel/PowerPoint apps?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It looks like they ported the Windows Phone app...

5. PhillW

All the sorts of things you would have previously used a pen + A6 notepad for................ then not pissed about on twatter and freakbook for the next 2 hours.

All on company time like................ Can't have the UK rocketing up the productivity league now can we.

6. 0laf
    Holmes

Slurp?

Have MS run its data slurp passed the EU data protection board so that we don't roll this out only to be told it's unlawful becasue MS has decided to snuffle at the data trough without looking back on previous decisions against it?

7. BGatez

ugh

ugh, just ugh

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like