back to article It's Sadville: The Movie!

It's natural in Hollywood that if you have a big hit as a director, you pretty much get to make whatever you want, but this is one artistic conceit too far. Pirates of the Caribbean helmsman Gore Verbinski has reportedly acquired the rights to make a film about a Second Life obsessive who "cheats" on his wife. Sadville: The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Iain

And why not

I don't know if it will bust any blocks, but could be interesting from a human socio-psychological perspective if the two 'lives' are juxtaposed. Can't see Disney picking up the tab for it though

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Same old tired cliches

What is this pre-occupation with flying penises FFS? I've been on Second Life over a year and have never seen any.

Oh, and for balance, if you're going to keep calling it Sadville then at least be consistent and call WoW "World of Sadcraft"

3. Cameron Colley

No idea how this will work.

SL's only compelling when you "get into" it and you're interacting with others -- it's damn dull to watch.

SL must be a lot smaller than they let on -- because I swear I've met both the characters in the linked US story.

4. Paul

Binun - CSI: NY

CSI: NY did a terrible episode/advert for Sadvile (ok, *more* terrible than most CSI:NY episodes) that featured this same basic plotline.

It was as terrible and cringe-inducing as you would expect.

My non-techie girlfriend was (justifiably) utterly bemused by the whole concept of Sadville.

Paul

5. TeeCee Gold badge
    Stop

I don't get this.

Who the f*ck* do they expect to stock the DVD, that this will inevitably go straight to, now that Woolies have gone west?

* Inoffensive word. Your mileage may vary.

6. Tony

Pffft!

What's next?

A movie about people that leave inane comments on Youtube?

Or perhaps a tense courtroom drama about someone unjustly accused of downloading 3 dollars worth of songs via bittorrent?

They aren't just scraping the barrel - they have scraped all their way through and started digging.

7. Gulfie
    Stop

I'd love to go and see it...

... I hope there will be plenty of cinemas showing it in Sadville, after all, I won't have the time to return to the real world, fight my way over the avelanche of junk mail in my hall and step out of the house.

"Life is like a box of crayons. Most people are the 8-color boxes, but what you're really looking for are the 64-color boxes with the sharpeners on the back. I fancy myself to be a 64-color box, though I've got a few missing. It's ok though, because I've got some more vibrant colors like periwinkle at my disposal. I have a bit of a problem though in that I can only meet the 8-color boxes. Does anyone else have that problem? I mean there are so many different colors of life, of feeling, of articulation.. so when I meet someone who's an 8-color type.. I'm like, hey girl, magenta! and she's like, oh, you mean purple! and she goes off on her purple thing, and I'm like, no - I want magenta!" - John Mayer.

Sadville version: "Life is like a box of crayons. Except it's empty but for black, and red. Oh, and red is broken and somebody nicked the pencil sharpener"

The only people sadder than the Sadville fanbois will be the ones who go to see the film...

8. Chris
    Dead Vulture

Leave them to it

I don't understand why you care so much about Second Life. I hardly hear about it from anywhere else these days.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

"In reality, he is a diabetic, chain-smoking 53-year-old"

What the hell has him being diabetic got to do with anything?!!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

bonkbuster

Love it,

also "The kids will love the flying penises!" works on so many levels.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ "Same old tired cliches "

obviously you are of insufficient note to warrant a giant flying penis attack

12. David Kelly

Ugh

As if SL weren't dull enough, they're making a movie now!? SL is for people who's real lives are so dull they have to resort to lame virtual reality to make them more interesting. It's almost as sad as soap opera fanatics.

13. Mike
    Happy

@AC cliches

Actually its called "world of warcrack".

@ everyone else. I have been in SL for about two years now. I enjoy it. Stop by broo sometime, say you saw it on the reg. Maybe I will get out my penis gun.

As for a movie about the real people behind some of those avatars, some things I can do without knowing.... Next you'll be telling me about seeing clark kent in a phone booth changing clothes...

14. Gulfie
    Joke

@AC "Same old tired cliches"

It's BEHIND YOU!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ diabetic

Type 2 diabetes is often linked to obesity and is therefore often found with other mobility reducing illnesses. Therefore I guess the link is "fat unfit guy who can't get about so much" (at least in the real world).

16. Fenstar
    Paris Hilton

"What the hell has him being diabetic got to do with anything?!!"

Diabetes is caused by obesity isn't it? Which is in turn caused by fatties' inability to lay off the cream pies anyway...

17. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@what the hell ...

... I think *this* link will answer your question

http://images.google.com/images?q=diabeetus&gbv=1

18. Andyman
    Flame

So diabetes is a social handicap?

"In reality, he is a diabetic, chain-smoking 53-year-old"

Erm, I'm diabetic and it doesn't impact on my lifestyle or social interactions.

Can we not stick to just picking on the fatties!

19. ChrB
    Boffin

Where's the Reg wording?

You surely wanted to say "Lawnmover Man 2.0" - or even the "iMover", no?

Chris

20. J
    Paris Hilton

Re: "Diabetes is caused by obesity isn't it?"

No.

It can be linked to fat (does not need to even be obese!), in type II cases. But there are people who are diabetic for completely different reasons.

21. Ed Blackshaw Silver badge
    Flame

@What the hell has him being diabetic got to do with anything?!!

I think the implication here is that since one of the major contributory factors towards developing type II diabetes is excessive consumption of sugary foods and lack of exercise, it's another way of saying 'fat and lazy'. You may as well ask what being a chain smoker has to do with it.

22. Mike Groombridge

IMover

Is that the Apple funded remake ?

23. raving angry loony

New movie?

They could have the main character get transported through a freak accident into the Sadville universe, where they meet with a group of misfits and have to fight flying penises! Maybe call it "Flesh Rosedale, Wonderful Wizard of Tron" or something?

24. Cameron Colley

RE:Sadville etc.

What would you rather people who are unable to interract socially do? I'm interested, because most of the people I meet socially in "meatspace" are socially ept, good-looking, or both.

So, rather than sitting in front of a computer, or being shunned or patronised for being "ugly" or "weird" what would you have people do?

That said I've met a fair few people in SL who have "real lives" too but want to extend that social and creative aspect.

25. Spider
    Coat

Think of the diabetics!

I see the inevitable thin skinned outrage mongers have arrived on cue. Perhaps we could have a competition to find the most innocuous word that causes someone to be offended somewhere?

...maybe ragetard?..

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re-re-make

Wouldn't be suprised if it just turns out to be an update on you've got mail where the ineraction method isn''t really crucial to the story just the fact there is anonymous interaction.

After all you've got mail is based on a shop around the corner where the plot device was letters.

Bet any 'in-game' graphics shown are CGI'd to be a lot smoother and realistic than actually exist in Second Life though, wonder if it will have one those little disclaimers 'not actual game footage' on it?

27. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

What Would Jesus Say?

2nd Life = No Life Squared.

giant willies attack all idiots. must have. Must be cartoon scrawl for kiddies. Charlton Heston put his vest on. 2nd coming shud happen in 2nd life.

Film must involve Russell T. Davies. Homo-schlock substitutuion 4 real life and dr. who, wot were u finkin? Worse than altern8 endins to Lotr. It'll be 2 camp 4 wurds.

No narrative - just burble. Random interactions & my avatar is a pink cube inta-secting wiv ur elf.

No story, just feel the sleeze quotient. M,furries. m'infantilitisirts. M' pink cube obscurantics. Flyin nobs d-send on us all.

blearrrgh. i iz sick on mi shorts.

28. Andrew Norton
    Alert

who's for the lead?

to me, there's only one person that could portray the lead, stand up El REg's own 'editor at large', Andrew Orlowski.

29. James O'Brien
    Unhappy

Didnt we already have this?

A few weeks maybe a month or so ago with some fatso's cheating on each other on that game? Maybe it was WoW but still same thing.......

wonder if the two in that picture will be making cameos...

/hides in corner and starts to cry.

30. Chris Hunt

Suggested Title:

"You Have Mail II: You Have No Life"

31. Jason

Quote of the year?

" focuses on a married man who spends as many as 20 hours a day on a computer, existing through an avatar who is a thriving, musclebound entrepreneur. In reality, he is a diabetic, chain-smoking 53-year-old.""

Fantastic.

32. Gulfie

@AC "Same old tired cliches" - #2

Surely you're so proud of your immersement in Sadville that you don't feel the need to post anonymously.

Oh, no, hang on... you did.

I rest my case. Flying Penises - ATTACK! ATTACK!

33. Jacob Lipman

Awful game, Awfulsome Movie?

After seeing it mentioned in the Reg a few times, I downloaded SL about a year ago and tried it out. It's pretty user-friendly; easy to figure out how to get around, equip objects and such. However, once you've learned all that, you realize there's nothing interesting to do. There are plenty of friendly people around to offer advice and even free crap, and surprisingly, some of them aren't into the sexual side of the game. I was never assaulted by flying penises in the entire three hours I spent wandering around, nor did I come across any place where they could be obtained (nor did I have the initiative to create them). Unfortunately, those three hours of teleporting around looking for something interesting are gone and I will not get them back. Boredom reigned. In short, SL = lametastic.

Movies about lame things, however, can be entertaining. Has anyone seen W.?

34. Danny

Lights! Camel! Action!

I spend a lot of time posting here, and in reality I am not the hunk I pretend to be. Any offers for the movie-rights to my life?

(The only flying penises I have ever seen were wearing RyanAir uniforms).

35. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

El Reg and poor formatting

If an Aussie who had a temporary lapse in his sheep bothering activities can be prosecuted for possessing pics of cartoon characters, %deity% help the poor hack who laid out the last paragraph of this article because 'two thumbs up the kiddies' is just asking for trouble....

Gets popcorn, sits back and waits for the Wacqui police to turn up at El Reg central.

Paris, because you know two thumbs up would be a good thing.

36. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is a bit sad :)

Oh you try it out, but it is just not that cool, what will come after should be better. So, well done to 2ndL, it has broken some boundaries, but it is not that interesting a place.

This topic is closed for new posts.