back to article Mark Hurd is dead

Long-time Oracle co-CEO Mark Hurd died this morning. He was 62. Oracle chairman and personal friend Larry Ellison broke the news with an open letter on Hurd's personal webpage. "It is with a profound sense of sadness and loss that I tell everyone here at Oracle that Mark Hurd passed away early this morning. Mark was my close …

1. jake Silver badge

ElReg missed a good chance to rile up Stallman ...

You could have gone with the headline "Hurd bought the farm" ...

Well, Mark would have laughed. I think :-)

RIP, dude. My condolences to the family.

2. Duncan Macdonald
    Thumb Down

More accurate

By gutting R&D at HP he improved the immediate profits at the expense of the future of the company. From being a leader it became a "me too" company. It is difficult to think of any field in which it is still a leader let alone THE leader.

Gutting R&D in any technical firm is a guarantee of eventual death.

1. fredesmite

Re: More accurate

Asshole froze salaries while he earned $23m a year

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

R&D at HP was useless even before Hurd arrived. It was living beyond its shelf-life on past glories. That's why he cut it in half.

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

To be fair, he was just one of several CEOs that nearly ruined the company. But as long as shareholders give boards such an easy time this will continue.

3. Tek-1

Won't be many tears shed from ex-HPers, me included.

1. Buffon

After a raft of bad news today, finally a good news. Hurd is resting in his grave!! He will do no more damage to hard working people.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

Or ex-Oracle folks either.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I will mostly miss Hurd n' Catz.

5. Danny 2

Dick Laurent is dead

We can be cold. Wife and two daughters folk, could well be reading this.

Have you ever played that game where you pick a name out a hat and then have to describe them as quickly as possible?

"Was in the Beatles and then got shot"

John Lennon's entire life and work dismissed in the heat of battle between frankly worthless players.

I would love for my epitaph to be, "Was in the Beatles and then got shot", but at best I'm only going to achieve half of that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dick Laurent is dead

"Wife and two daughters folk, could well be reading this."

Can't have them facing the reality of what their relative did to adversely affect the lives of many thousands of people.

Of course, it's entirely possible they don't care. Either.

2. jgarbo
      Thumb Down

Re: Dick Laurent is dead

Your epitaph suggestion: "Pour more treacle on my grave".

6. Gene Cash Silver badge

Sucks when your biggest achievement in life is "I put two of the most respected Silicon Valley firms into a death spiral"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

He didn't put HP into a death spiral. Carly, Leo, Meg and Antonio have done that quite nicely despite Hurd's best efforts. He just put HP going TITSUP off for a few years.

7. Blackjack Silver badge

With him gone from the company HP downfall started...

HP used to be know for making stuff build to last, not anymore.

My HP Media Center XP Laptop lasted almost a decade.

1. elip

Re: With him gone from the company HP downfall started...

My Proliants keep on going and going and going...not quite for as long as my Sun machines, but, for the money...I'll definitely call them 'built to last'.

1. fredesmite

Re: With him gone from the company HP downfall started...

Those made at FoxxConn in China machines do last a long time

8. fredesmite
    Mushroom

Pancreatic Cancer

it kills in weeks ; if your poop floats and is green - go see a doctor ASAP

9. fredesmite
    Mushroom

HP - " Not Invented Here"

Under Hurd - the " INVENT" logo went to " Outsourced to lowest bidder "

10. Androgynous Cow Herd

you missed the real news story here

Larry Ellison thinks he has friends!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For whom the bell tolls

We all get there eventually and the older we are the more we notice the queue is getting shorter.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you have nothing good to say, never say anything bad of the dead, no matter what...

This comment is intentionally blank.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If you have nothing good to say, never say anything bad of the dead, no matter what...

Thanks for the folksy motherhood and apple pie wisdom.

Maybe you can explain why it would be such a wonderful idea to ban criticism of say, Hitler? Or where the threshold lies for allowing it.

1. DiViDeD

Re: If you have nothing good to say, never say anything bad of the dead, no matter what...

... folksy motherhood and apple pie wisdom

Did anyone else just hear a loud "Whoosh!!"?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HP is ruined and Oracle is merely the dying plaything of an egomaniac

I don't think Hurd added much except to his bank account.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Any death is sad but...

Hurd really didn't make many friends during his time at HP. He was completely cost-driven, didn't realise that R&D was never going to produce ROI on a quarter by quarter basis so ripped the heart out of it. He also asked everyone in HP to take a 10% pay cut which you might never get back and wouldn't necessarily save your job. Not impressed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Any death is sad but...

His R&D cuts also had a little something to do with R&D being in "Not Inventing Here" mode for the past twenty years.

15. david 12 Silver badge

NCR

National Cash Register was the company that IBM learned business from. And the IBM aim was to be "not as criminal as NCR", which gives you some idea of the NCR sales culture that Hurd came from.

16. mintus55

Work Life Balance

He died 5 weeks after retiring - is that really living?

1. rcxb Silver badge

Re: Work Life Balance

Some people will not survive to get a day of retirement. Others will live longer than they ever expected. That's just a fact of life.

Being the big boss is different than being an employee. Private jets, lots of vacation, setting your own schedule. He might have had quite a nice life while working, rather than just muddling through until retirement.

If you're lucky enough to get a job you can enjoy doing while earning money, great! Hang onto it. If not, while its' tempting to say your personal life and enjoyment is more important, you'll find very little enjoyment when you haven't got enough money for the necessities. And even if you can squeeze by though your early years, you'll find yourself not accumulating the reserves you'll need, or at least find very useful to have, later.

2. fredesmite

Re: Work Life Balance

He never "retired"

He took time-off on a " medical leave "

17. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

I'm split...

On the one hand I have sympathies for his family. He was after all, only human.

On the other, there is definitely a cryogenically frozen US businessman meets Thora Hird joke in here somewhere.

18. Neal L

Re: harmonising the guns

And just recently Amazon turned off the last of it's Oracle DBs. Coincidence. :-)

19. Andy 122

HP days

My over riding memory of him was an email whilst at HP asking us to take a % pay cut to ‘help the company’ with him gleefully saying “i am taking a 15% pay cut” on his base pay of $1mill but conveniently leaving out the part where the previous year he made $45mil in bonus packages meaning his true pay cut was 0.25% whilst the proposed % pay cut to me was in fact that full %.

Needless to say everyone said no in the UK but believe it was a forced pay cut in US.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who will replace him

Well Bill McDermott of SAP has just become free........

21. son of sam

Hurd was the perfect example of how CEO's and the BOD's have hijacked corporations today resulting in capitalism's failure. In reality he created no value at HP during his reign of terror. Among others he bought EDS and Palm. Both were disasters. The intent was to boost revenue while slashing away at the workforce, R & D and anything of value which could be eliminated to cut expenses. No new value was ever created. Customers fled as the workforce supporting them was outsourced offshore or was simply eliminated. The short term boost in revenue along with increased profit from cost cutting earned Hurd millions in bonuses. He he walked with at least a $100 million during his short tenure. He was the master of manipulation of how to use a corporation to increase his own wealth. A true Wall Street darling. A prime example of how the 1% have been stealing all the wealth in the last 30 years while the rest of the workforce saw little if any increase in pay to this day. A truly sad story.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well he can't take his ill gotten gains wth him.

He killed many decent careers and caused much suffering for many of his employees. I was at HP, when he landed, then oracle when he jumped ship.

A true business hooligan. He won't be missed.

Karma.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like