back to article Hubble grabs first snap of interstellar comet... or at least that's what we hope this smudge is

Astroboffins have released images taken by the Hubble telescope of the second-ever interstellar object and the first-ever verified comet to enter our Solar System from the depths of the universe. Dubbed comet 2I/Borisov, the speeding bundle of rock and dust was detected back in August by Crimean hobbyist Gennady Borisov and …

1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Alien

Something wicked, this way comes?

Co-incy-dink?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Something wicked, this way comes?

They have spotted us and are now seeing what we do about these interlopers

2. Tom Paine

Couple of things

1. If the smudge *isn't* a comet,.. well, look at it. It's a comet unless it's a flying saucer ejecting an awful lot of non-recyclable waste.

2. There's a Bulgarian football joke somewhere in Comet Borisov, but I for one ain't going there.

1. Ragarath
      Joke

Re: Couple of things

They just needed to use the toilet. All that waste has to so somewhere!

2. MiguelC Silver badge
      Flame

No Bulgarian joke in it as the fellow is Ukrainian (note to ElReg, you wouldn't classify anyone as West Midlandian or East Anglian in an article, so why Crimean?)

1. Semtex451

Oh Russia gave it back did they?

-This is why.

1. MiguelC Silver badge

No they didn't, but according to international law and United Nations Resolution 68/262, it is still part of Ukraine. Doesn't matter what Russia thinks.

2. Pen-y-gors

Yeah, what's wrong with just calling him a Ukrainian?

1. arctic_haze

What's wrong with calling him Ukrainian? The Russians have a long history of telling people they are Russian. Some times ago it were the Finns and Poles, not it is the Belorussians and Ukrainians.

3. sbt
    Headmaster

110,000 miles per hour

Licence and registration, sir.

Given it's a science article, shouldn't this be ~49 kms-1?

1. Spherical Cow Silver badge

Re: 110,000 miles per hour

Was the original estimate ~50kms-1 because that's a nice round number?

1. sbt
        Boffin

Rounded, but not obese

It's a fair question, but not that I could find. Only the MPH figure seems to have been quoted in the source article, and I chose 49 when converting as having similar precision/significant figures.

El Reg's off the SI hook, anyway.

2. Spherical Cow Silver badge

Same goes for closest approach: 186 million miles should actually read 300 million kilometres.

Journos shouldn't convert units, they almost always make things worse. I fully expect that some other journo will read this article and convert the units back again and introduce unfeasible accuracy.

Source article which says 300 million kilometres:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/09/13/tut_you_wait_a_lifetime_for_an_interstellar_object_and_then_two_come_at_once/

1. Annihilator
          Trollface

"Same goes for closest approach: 186 million miles should actually read 300 million kilometres."

I prefer 1 kilolightsecond.

1. Tom 7

Heavy light?

2. Semtex451

Same goes for "enter our Solar System from the depths of the universe" when it's from inside our own Galaxy.

1. Robert Helpmann??
              Childcatcher

Same goes for "enter our Solar System from the depths of the universe" when it's from inside our own Galaxy.

Unless the intended subtext is that we are really the dregs of what the universe has to offer in which case it's spot on.

2. Denarius
              Coat

Not only, but also not interstellar probably. Orbit may only go out a light year. ITIRC an orbital time of 10^9 years. Regardless the astronomers will have a gas time, along with the obsessives. Mines the one with the puffed out pockets

3. Jaybus

"I prefer 1 kilolightsecond."

I don't. It's just so confusing to use C as a distance measurement. Now the relativistic affects of the Sun's gravity well affect the distance measurement and we cannot know both its position and velocity relative to Earth at the same time....wait, that is actually correct, so yes, let's use lightseconds as our distance measurement.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

It's confusing, maybe, but it's how we define distance - a metre is defined as the distance light travels in 1 299792458th of a second. With a second being defined by something to do with caesium.

2. Pen-y-gors

There's a message here - closest approach is EXACTLY the same as the diameter of the Earth's orbit - they want to be certain we get the message. Next time it's one radius, then the third time it's Extinction time! Time to shut down all our space activity and worship our new interstellar overlords.

1. sbt
            Paris Hilton

For some values of EXACTLY?

Perihelion is reported as 2.006 AU.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Joke

How the Internet works, lesson no. 94

>> There's a message here - closest approach is EXACTLY the same as the diameter of the Earth's orbit - they want to be certain we get the message.

> Perihelion is reported as 2.006 AU.

There's a message here - closest approach is EXACTLY twice the diameter of the Earth's orbit - they want to be certain we get the message

1. Palpy

Re: Diameter versus radius

1 AU = the approximate distance from Earth to Sun, or, from Sun to Earth. In other words, the radius of Earth's obit. Wait, too early for an obit on Earth -- I must have meant orbit.

The interstellar comet's perihelion is, as mentioned, 2.006 AU. Twice the radius of Earth's orbit. Or, in flat spacetime, nearly exactly the diameter of Earth's orbit. As stated by Pen-y-gors.

Picky, picky, I am, but mean to cast no aspersions on commentards various.

But certainly if They wish to warn us they'll take out the Moon first? That would get our attention. I would guess Earth would gain a lovely ring of dust and pebbles but most likely no human eyeballs would get to see it because enough rocks would be de-orbited in the chaos that a fiery rain of meteors would turn Earth's sky into a broiler oven.

1. HelpfulJohn

Re: Diameter versus radius

As I may have mentioned when Rama I passed by a while back, "Moonfall" by Jack McDevitt is a rather good read.

3. JK63

The byline lists San Francisco, so it's possible they were using US units thinking of a US audience.

But science should always be reported in metric units.

1. Jaybus

"But science should always be reported in metric units."

Why? Simply report the distance in lightseconds so that it is correct for all units of measurement and conversions have little meaning or purpose.

1. Muscleguy

Why? because even in ‘Merican science labs they use SI units. Which can be a shock for US undergrads. I grew up in little New Zealand from early 1972 and they had been fully metric for several years by that time so I was educated entirely in metric. So becoming a scientist was not hard in that aspect. I looked up where Angstroms lie wrt nm or pm but as an electron microscopist I NEVER used it or saw on any paper newer than about 1960. Clean powers of 10/-3 do perfectly fine thankyou.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
              Joke

"Why? Simply report the distance in lightseconds so that it is correct for all units of measurement and conversions have little meaning or purpose."

That assumes that everyone understands and agrees on what a second is. Microsoft employees might have difficulties converting, especially the devs in charge of progress bars.

2. KarMann Silver badge
      Joke

Surely you mean 1.64% of the maximum velocity of a sheep in a vacuum?

1. quxinot

Wool at that speed would give one hellacious static shock when it gets near a doorknob.

3. imanidiot Silver badge

Wikipedia says it's 32 km/s. So... Make of that what you will

I'll stick to Reg approved units. So 1.0674 to 1.6344 % the maximum velocity of a sheep in vacuum.

1. sbt
        Alien

Rolling around the gravity well

There's certainly a difference. I think the Wikipedia number is the velocity when the object was outside Sol's gravitational influence, whereas the larger figure is a report of the current velocity, while it's well inside. I assume it'll be even quicker when December 8 rolls around.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Rolling around the gravity well

"I assume it'll be even quicker when December 8 rolls around."

So, not actually visiting, just passing through and stealing a bit of "our" angular momentum. Bloody foreigners! Vote for Solexit!!!

4. Tom 7

So that's 2billion years from Andromeda - assuming it hasn't speeded up 'near' the sun - and ignoring the expansion of the universe.

I'd imagine any documentation would have expired.

1. Semtex451

Andromeda is getting closer to us all the time, in 2 billion years it will be very close

1. Tom 7

So presumably accelerating?

5. circusmole
      Happy

110,000 MPH ...

...relative to?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: 110,000 MPH ...

A distant relation of mine.

It's my third cousin's brothers daughter.

1. Tom 7

Re: 110,000 MPH ...

IS there something special about your third cousin's brother or his he just a third cousin?

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"But relative to the galactic core office, I was only doing about 20!!!"

4. Rich 11
    Alien

Let's hope...

...it doesn't start braking.

Joke

Re: Let's hope...

Judging from the dust, it's already breaking ;-)

5. Crisp

"based on its trajectory and speed, the comet had to originate from outside the Solar System"

Who threw that?

I say we start flinging snowballs back.

1. Annihilator

Re: "based on its trajectory and speed, the comet had to originate from outside the Solar System"

It's clearly been launched by the Arachnids and is set to obliterate Buenos Aires. In order to claim citizenship and reap revenge on these "bugs", I've signed up to the Mobile Infantry and have been assigned to some unit called "the Roughnecks"?

1. Craig 2

Re: "based on its trajectory and speed, the comet had to originate from outside the Solar System"

Would you like to know more?

6. Chris G

Trying to get my head around

" Throwing off a trail of dust and debris as it passed by the sun" and "will be closest to the sun on Dec 7".

Has it been or is it going? Or does it have a cat inside?

Re: Trying to get my head around

Yes and no.

7. Blockchain commentard
    Alien

They're getting this excited about an inter-stellar comet? Wait until they spot the inter-stellar spaceship following it.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aliens?

There was an article in the "Daily Express" about somewhere in Wales being a UFO hotspot.

Also why would aliens use Wifi? Surely they have moved well beyond using radio waves, thought the latest concept was coherent neutrino beams? Can go 500 light years and still be detected, but show up on "lesser" species radar as astronomical phenomena.

Maybe the fast radio bursts are beacons telling folks where the interesting sights are, or adverts for "Extend your Pseudopods with this One Weird Trick" intergalactic spammage.

1. Pen-y-gors

Re: Aliens?

There was an article in the "Daily Express" about somewhere in Wales being a UFO hotspot.

If it was in the Excess it presumably suggested that Maddie McCann was also living in the hotspot, and that the water from the local stream cures cancer?

2. Tom 7

Not that I would read the DE even on the vain hope there might be some useful data but I'd imagine any mining area would be a UFO hotspot. Earth fractures seem to cause luminous phenomena above ground - some piezo electric effect seems to cause electromagnetic loops that, above ground can focus in damp air and cause low level aurora. the phenomena is often seen along earthquake faults and mines do lots of mini earthquakes as they continue to settle.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"There was an article in the "Daily Express" about somewhere in Wales being a UFO hotspot."

One of the subs probably caught part of a Torchwood episode and thought it was a documentary.

1. Annihilator

To paraphrase David Tennant, isn't it remarkable that so many alien homeworlds look just like a Welsh quarry?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

That was a running joke from the days of Jon Pertwees Doctor #3 (although not Welsh quarries back then)

9. Tom 7

Is it a comet?

I wonder if it might have picked up a coating of interstellar ice and dust on its journey. As it approaches the sun this may just all boil off to leave a lump of rock. This may have happened to Oumuamua.

Whatever I shall be breaking out the 16" as soon as it looks like it wont get filled with rain.

1. OssianScotland
      Coat

Re: Is it a comet?

You have a gun from the USS Iowa?

(coat, please, the one with the stripes on the sleeve)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: You have a gun from the USS Iowa?

Or maybe it's one from the USS Missouri, and so he's also got Cher holding an umbrella to help keep the rain off. :-)

1. ma1010
          Pirate

Re: You have a gun from the USS Iowa?

Well, this is a Left-Pondian viewpoint, but, you know, Dec 7 was the day Pearl Harbor was attacked, bringing the US into WW II. And they say this object is making its closest approach to the sun the SAME DAY?

That begs the question, is this REALLY just a coincidence? That's what THEY want you to believe, of course. (Putting on my tinfoil hat and heading off to my mountain bunker complex.)

2. CAPS LOCK

A sixteen incher is a gun? Thank Dog for that...

3. Jaybus

"You have a gun from the USS Iowa?"

Naturally. With ehat else would one fight the Yamato after it has been remade into a spaceship?

10. DJO Silver badge

Move along, nothing to see

It's just the mothership for the probe we named Oumuamua, nothing to be excited about.

1. sawatts

Re: Move along, nothing to see

Oumumamuma?

2. aks

ʻOumuamua

It's all in the name https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%CA%BBoumuamua#Hawaiian

ʻoumuamua

scout; leader (as in battle or activity); messenger

11. Steve Graham

It's the second interstellar object to be detected by humans, not "the second interstellar object". They've been flying past for billions of years.

1. CAPS LOCK

Technically correct...

... the best kind of correct. </Hermes Conrad>

12. Unicornpiss
    Pint

Have a beer..

..for the Rendezvous With Rama reference. A rather underrated Clarke series IMHO.

1. IsJustabloke
      Meh

Re: Have a beer..

"A rather underrated Clarke"

Only the first was by ACC, the rest ( and vastly inferior) books were mainly the work of Gentry Lee, with Clarkes name added to show they were "official" but he had no hand in the writing of them.

Gentry Lee was / is an appallingly bad writer. Every single book is in essence the same, shockingly bad "Romance novel" set in a Sci Fi universe.

1. sawatts

Rendezvous with Rama was brilliant.

Rama II is the only novel I've skipped over whole chapters when reading.

Didn't go further with the "series".

2. RizKat
        Linux

Interesting - I read the first years ago and having enjoyed it got the sequel then never finished it as I thought it was crap.

City and the Stars and Rendezvous with Rama were great books, but I struggle with his bringing in the unknowable supreme omnipotence (god equivalent) in most of his big works.

1. Ardly

Fountains of Paradise is brilliant. One of his best!!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Didn't anyone else watch Star Blazers?

It's the Comet Empire!! Fortunately, they are ultimately about as comically inept as the Gamalons.

14. Snowy Silver badge
    Joke

Hope that smudge is not two tails.

May Sigmar help us if it is.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like