back to article What? No way. Apple? Censoring iOS 13 to appease China? Gosh. How shocking. Who'd have thought it?

Apple is under fire for kowtowing to Beijing and removing references to Taiwan in the localized versions of iOS 13 for Hong Kong and Macau in China. Yes, the same China that just pressured America's NBA into issuing a groveling apology for a team manager's tweet in support of Hong Kong. The same China that loves to censor any …

1. Tomato42

China?

Don't trust China, China is asshoe!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: China?

China? Shouldn't that be Apple? You know where you stand with China, Apple on the other hand proclaim freedom and privacy, yet bow to China who we all know where they stand on those 2 points.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Don't trust China or Apple.

1. Bachelorette

Don't trust China or Apple or Google.

1. Tom Paine

Don't trust China or Apple or Google or Facebook.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Trust no one.

2. Tomato42

Oh, sure, Apple is bad.

But I also can see the difference between exploitation of people for money (which is what Apple is doing) and literally harvesting organs from minorities and other undesirables in extermination camps (which is what the fat Evil twat at the head of China is doing). It's called perspective, you should try it some time.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Perspective? One is exploiting and abusing people for power, the other is voluntarily aiding said person/group for money.

2. John Bailey

But jingoistic twits with a poor grasp of reality are bad too.

Can you also see the difference between a company (which is what Apple is) and a country (which is what China is), and a government (which is what neither are)?

Governments get to create and enforce laws, maintain order, and set economic policy. Yes. Even in Communist countries.

Companies get to do what they are told in these countries, or get kicked out, because they are not, despite the fantasy dearly held by some, people, religions, or forces for anything other than profit.

When governments do what companies tell them, you have corruption.

So. Governments get to do things like make laws that allow people who disagree with government to be arrested and detained.

Including holding them indefinitely without trial, charge or legal representation. Sometimes in off shore facilities to evade their own laws. Supporting the rule of dictators for diplomatic reasons, funding terrorist groups, engaging in torture, first hand, or through proxies etc.

Companies get to do things like pander to comically insecure heads of state and their acolytes, who become a laughing stock the world over.

When it comes to perspective. You obviously don't speak from experience.

1. Tomato42

> But jingoistic twits with a poor grasp of reality are bad too.

I'm not an American or supportive of my own fascist government. Sorry to disappoint

as far as grasp on reality, I suggest reading this:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-rights-organ-harvesting/un-urged-to-investigate-organ-harvesting-in-china-idUSKBN1W92FL

they are not even denying that they did it

and chill with the whatabboutism

2. Tom Paine

Companies get to do things like pander to comically insecure heads of state and their acolytes, who become a laughing stock the world over.

But that's their chjoice, d'you see? A choice that has what we call a moral dimension. And Apple (and many, many other corps) have made the wrong choice.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

@Tom Paine - Re: China?

You don't seem to like capitalism very much, do you ? May I remind you that the very reason of a corporation to exist is to make money for its owners/shareholders. Obeying the law is secondary and only if it does not interfere with the ability to make money. Moral and ethics is not in the written law so you can't blame a corporation for not following it.

3. Tom Paine

Does it occur to you to connect the former activity to the latter? It's called "joining the dots", you should try it some time.

4. RunawayLoop

If Apple thought they could get away with it, they would definitely do it.

2. alain williams Silver badge

Companies chase money

They have probably done the calculation that the upset that this causes will blow over soon and only have a minor negative impact on sales ... and put this against the huge negative impact of annoying the Chinese dictator Xi Jinping.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: Companies chase money

Ultimately this is the reason.

They (Apple, most other US corporations, etc) have sold their souls, assuming they had any in the first place, to an authoritarian government in return for cheap profit-boosting labour. Now the other side of that Faustian bargain is apparent and they are twisting and turning like a twisty-turning thing in order to avoid being seen to do so, though it is bloody obvious to anyone still in posetion of a soul or conscience.

2. alain williams Silver badge

I am heartened to read how South Park does a mock apology to Beijing and they seemingly don't care that they are now banned in China.

I wonder how aware most Chinese are of the censorship that they are subject to.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Very much aware. They also know how to use VPNs if they want to access stuff from outside the GFW. They're not dumb, and many have friends who work as state censors on social media.

Unfortunately, it doesn't mean a majority is longing for change.

2. el kabong

Ignorance is bliss, most Chinese not aware of the censorship they are subject to

Apple and others doing their very best and succeeding wildly well in their efforts to make sure the chinese stay ignorant and happy.

Keep buying apple, with your help no mindless chinese citizen will feel troubled by censorship or the lack of freedom and everyone in china will be happy.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Corporate Philosophy

Right and wrong in the eyes of a corporation are not simply black and white concepts.

It's simply black and red ink.$$$

4. sbt
    Mushroom

Maintain the rage; it works!

It appears that Apple is also responsive to public pressure, particularly in respect of a boycott to its revenues, given the re-certification of HKmap app. So it's worth loudly proclaiming your unwillingless to keep buying/subscribing/etc. Be the squeaky wheel.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: Maintain the rage; it works!

I think that was because they really had no good excuse for withdrawing that app. This probably won't get changed just because people tell Apple that human rights are kind of, you know, important to them. I think they considered whether political freedoms were important to them a while ago when they implemented that change and they decided they didn't care all that much. Sadly, I cannot think of any large enough company in a better situation; all have terrible records when it comes to China, and many have other terrible records on similar issues.

1. sbt
        Megaphone

Dragonfly never got off the ground

Sure, they're looking at it case by case, and it's a sop to the CCP to kill its momentum, even if they put it back. They can just respond to each source of pain as it arises.

As to other companies, well it seems like Google's employees were powerful enough to get Dragonfly cancelled. Even if it's only to defend profits, companies can still be responsive to public, employee and shareholder opinion. Unlike undemocratic governments. Let's not forget who the main villain is here.

Folks love to hate on it, but globalisation's creation of economic interdependencies of trade and foreign investment is the main force for peace protecting weaker countries. Particularly so in the case of the CCP, which relies on continuing economic growth and improving living standards to keep the populace on-side.

1. RunawayLoop

Re: Dragonfly never got off the ground

"Folks love to hate on it, but globalisation's creation of economic interdependencies of trade and foreign investment is the main force for peace protecting weaker countries"

Not in all cases. In my country a majority of our exports go to one country. Guess which one. In return my spineless government stays quiet on the human rights abuses, lest is upset the 'economic interdependencies'.

1. sbt
            Unhappy

Weaker countries, not weaker minority groups

Sorry to hear that. I think the peace theory only holds between soverign entities. There is little to no protection for internal minorities since 9/11. Some wailing perhaps, or maybe a little teeth gnashing, but that's about it.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So when will The Register stop claiming that Taiwan is a province of China?

Try changing your country to Taiwan in settings, Taiwan shows up as “Taiwan province of China” not “Taiwan, Republic of China”

Until you change this, I will continue to view you as lakeys of the dictator in Beijing

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

For that matter, when are the governments of The Register's readers going to change that themselves? Unless you yourself make recognizing Taiwan's independence your main criterion for electing your representatives, aren't you a lackey, too?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

My government officially refers to Taiwan as Taiwan, Repuplic of China, whenever I spot mistakes on official government websites I notify the relevant parties.

My vote has never been cast in favour of parties that admires dictatorships ( social democrats and communists) I avoid buying stuff from PRC. What do you do?

//OP

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You misspelled "relublicans"

2. Allan George Dyer

ISO 3166

"The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) uses the country name Taiwan (Province of China) for Taiwan."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_3166_country_codes

1. Suricou Raven

This is one of those matters on which China will not cede any ground: If the ISO were to refer to Taiwan as the Republic of China, China would probably respond by imposing trade restrictions upon any ISO member country that had voted in support of the change.

6. Headley_Grange Silver badge

Apple Are Hypocritical B******s

(Posting from my MBA while in the process of updating my iPhone and watching the news via my Apple TV. Hoping for an Apple Watch for Christmas.)

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Apple Are Hypocritical B******s

In other words, you are just as hypocritical since you are apparently showering a hypocrite with your money.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Think of all the Chiney-Uighury people now

That's Apple-ing behaviour. When you buy Shiney-Chiney you helping Taiwany-cull government. You make me really Uighury now.

7. Tom Paine

SUBS! typo

....linked to human rightd abuses of Uighurs

1. pavel.petrman
      Coat

Re: SUBS! typo

Still not as bad as if they were human systemd abusers!

8. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Let us not forget

. . how proud Apple is of standing up to unreasonable requests by the authorities.

Of course, any request made by China is reasonable, eh ?

When they have you by the balls, your heart and mind follows.

9. Jay Lenovo
    Terminator

Far East Fantasy Riches

Tim Cook is just the latest Lando Calrissian like example to make a deal with the communist Empire.

Just ignore a few "little" troubling things. Your obedience will be rewarded later... right?

1. sbt
      Mushroom

I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further.

Well he wouldn't be the first one to get Vadered by the CCP.

One empire, two systems. Ring a bell?

Of course the CCP should also remember that the more they tighten their grip, the more systems will slip through their fingers.

10. llaryllama

Meanwhile...

While China's petty crusade against Taiwan continues the fact is I can use my Taiwan passport to visit 146 countries visa free. Visiting Europe is highly amusing as our green ROC passports are allowed to use the express e-gates while PRC passport holders have to get a visa in advance and wait in line. The current situation is a joke - most Western countries pay lip service to China because they think there is a pot of gold at the end of the silk road, but double dip by treating Taiwan as a de facto independent country to make those tourism and investment $$. Have some balls and stand one way or the other - preferably by telling the PRC to get lost.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like