back to article You only need to click once, fool: Gaming rig sales up as Trump presses continue on trade tariff tussle

Shipments of gaming rigs staged something of a comeback in the second quarter of 2019 as retailers sought to avoid potential trade tariffs on machines bought in China and imported to the US. Globally, desktops, notebooks and monitors sales-in to channels leapt 16.5 per cent year-on-year to 10.4 million units, albeit against an …

1. Hans 1

Panic buying ?

More like Idiot buying ...

Trump knows he cannot enforce those trade barriers without hurting his economy badly as well ...

1. BebopWeBop

Re: Panic buying ?

Since when has common sense been any part of Trump's startegy?

2. Lee D Silver badge

That assumes that he cares about the long-term effect on the US economy.

If in doubt about someone, assume their actions are entirely selfish and malicious, and then extrapolate the likely result and see if it matches reality. Similarly, assume they are trying their best and extrapolate.

When one matches the reality, you have a pretty good idea of what's actually happening and what that kind of person cares about.

3. Dropper

He couldn't care less what the effect is on his own economy. He's used the common right wing tactic of stating the opposite of what is true, and as usual it's being lapped up by everyone who votes that way.

He's using tariffs in the same way he's using a fence on the southern border. To get votes for his re-election from xenophobes.

The fact that all tariffs on goods are paid for by American consumers isn't a concern for him. He has his supporters thinking that he's got one over on "Johnny Foreigner". They certainly won't let something as inconvenient as facts or the truth get in the way of the believe that he knows what he's doing. Even when it affects the cans used to make the beer they ask other people to hold.

1. Claverhouse Silver badge

Like the fence Hillary helped build a decade back, with froth about keeping out illegals ?

Face it, both parties in America cater to the same audience and grab votes by pleasing the same fears.

2. BebopWeBop
    Trollface

Maybe a lot of people have decided to immerse themselves in gams in an attempt to shield themselves from the modern shitfest that various politicians are stirring up?

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"IDC reckons the market will hit 55.2 million by 2023"

Did they factor in the fact that current hardware is used for much longer these days ? My current rig was last updated in 2015, and I have no urge or need to update it now. Laptops are a different story, they cannot be upgraded in any meaningful way aside, perhaps, memory, but they can last a good many years as well, especially the more powerful ones.

I doubt that a change in chip availability has that much of an impact.

1. Marki Mark
      Pint

Re: "IDC reckons the market will hit 55.2 million by 2023"

I doubt that they factored in anything beyond "is the pub open yet?"

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "My current rig was last updated in 2015

well, MY current rig was last updated around 2011 (when it was new and being sold for up to 2K per piece) and I bought it 3rd hand last year, for about 120GBP.

p.s. to avoid further confusion, it's a lenovo laptop with some modifications :)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm

Is this really Trump and the trade tariffs?

- There's an oversupply of memory/flash at present due to new processes with more layers/higher capacities

- 2019 was expected to be an above average year due to end of life of Windows 7

- AMD's competitiveness means that Intel have dropped prices on older (and faster) CPU's. AMD Zen CPU prices in Q2 were ridiculously good compared to what had been on offer for the previous 18 months.

Only one of those was really expected (the Win7 EoL) and given the steady decline in PC sales, I would have thought that these changes (including tariffs) would have compressed likely 2019 spend rather than significantly boosted the overall 2019 spend. While it may have dragged some 2020 spend forward, 2020 will be a dramatic slump with or without tariffs.

And as for the 2023 numbers, I think IDC are dreaming...

5. Luiz Abdala
    Joke

"narrowing performance gap" with notebooks.

HAHAHAHAHAH.

NOPE.

Notebooks may even come close in performance, but at several times the price, with several times stricter thermals. Nobody beats a bang-per-buck humongous air-cooled gaming rig, or the extreme performance in watercooled, overclocked rigs. All the new tech usually comes performance-oriented, and later then they become power-oriented, or thermal-oriented enough to be crammed into notebooks or phones with reasonable battery lives and cold enough thermals to avoid 2nd-degree burns.

Thin-light notebooks that can play games at 4k and 144Hz with RTX 2080 Ti's inside... with power bricks larger than actual bricks, and the ability to melt some surfaces. Hard Pass.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trump will claim credit for higher electronics sector sales this quarter and blame the Chinese for higher prices next quarter.

That's a political Win/Win by his rational.

7. MrReynolds2U

One potential explanation..

Threaten tariffs so the market buys kit now before the prices go up which makes it look like the market is buoyant.

Then delay tariffs until wholesalers have stocked up for Christmas which keeps the supply level high and consumers can spend in the run-up to Christmas.

Then once tariffs are in place (after domestic electronics firms have had time to adjust their supply chain), people will buy US due to the price differentials on imported kit.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like