back to article German card leak delivered by microfilm

Editors of the Frankfurter Rundschau newspaper were stunned to receive a box containing the microfilmed details of tens of thousands of credit card holders last week. The anonymously-dispatched microfilm included customer details including names, address, credit card numbers and payment records. A few PIN notification letters …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JP Sistenich
    Coat

No currency into GBP?

Though with the Great British Krona trading at near 1:1 with the Euro, I suppose most Reg readers could probably do the conversion themselves...

The one with pockets full of Zim Dollars, please...

2. Steve Kay

How gloriously old school :D

Where's Cliff Stoll and Whatshisnama Japanesefella when you need them?

3. Martin Gregorie

Data Theft? Really?

'Data theft' sounds like unfounded speculation to me.

Since a big chunk of rather mixed stuff was sent to the paper (microfilm plus unrelated paper documents) it sounds more like stuff found at the town dump / recycling centre because some clueless clerk threw it away without bothering to shred or incinerate it first.

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Pirate

Whatshisnama Japanesefella...

...should be Shimomura, the guy who wrote The Biggest Wank In History, aka. "Takedown" with that NYT reporter of ill repute and dubious tech savvy, Markoff. Right?

Anyway, my not inconsiderable skills at grasping the obvious indicate that the bill by Atos included in that infodump is a fat hint that the perps are actually at Atos. 75'000 EUR for data disclosure services is no small price to pay.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

"Whatshisnama Japanesefella"

ITYM Tsutomu Shimomura.

6. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

I was a contractor for the NHS

and I used to install desktop computers across three hospitals in the West Mids.

One day, while preparing new machines to take to the main wards, I came across a pile of CDs that seemed to contain medical records on, as it had a patient's name and DOB written on the CD.

The pile of CDs had a bit of paper sellotaped around it that said "for secure disposal" and then a date that was in 2002.

I got a photo of the CDs on my phone, but none of the actual CDs themselves. Random searches were threatened but never carried out, but you can never be too sure, eh?

It seems that the industries that hold our data still have a long way to go.

Anonymous Coward for obvious reasons.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like