back to article Former! Yahoo! engineer! admits! to! hacking! user! emails! for! smutty! snaps!

Former Yahoo! software engineer Reyes Daniel Ruiz has pleaded guilty in a California federal court to one count of computer intrusion after breaking into customers' Yahoo! emails and accounts at other service providers to obtain private data, mainly sexual images and videos of account holders. According to the Office of the US …

1. Mark192

Imagine Yahoo's relief when they discovered he was just a pervert rather than an industrial spy or gathering info for criminals.

2. Blockchain commentard

Just the one employee did that? Methinks they got one and stopped looking.

And it's probably going on in other mail providers/social media companies as I type this.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

And how did he get caught ?

Some unusual activity was dicovered, and then what ? How did Yahoo! find out what happened and how did the finger get pointed to him ?

This is El Reg, I was expecting a rundown of what happened, not just a commentary on legal proceedings.

1. Kane

Re: And how did he get caught ?

The court records have not yet been made available.

It's right there, in the article.

2. simonlb Silver badge

Re: And how did he get caught ?

The unusual activity was someone actually using a Yahoo! mailbox. They had to check to see if it was actually true.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I seem to remember a leaked GCHQ memo that lamented that many of their staff were spending too much time looking at teen sexting imagery on Yahoo and not enough time looking for potential terrorists.

5. Captain Scarlet
    Stop

Hacking really

Why is everything labelled as hacked when clearly its just abusing access of their existing system.

6. DrXym

I'm amazed

My Yahoo account is so clogged with spam due to their crappy filters that I'm impressed anyone can find anything of value in it.

7. Claverhouse Silver badge

The US Attorney's Office said Ruiz acknowledged targeting accounts that belonged to young women, including those of friends and colleagues.

There's a surprise !

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like