back to article Edge, Internet Explorer users Czech their settings after MSN 'forgot' their language

Something funny happened to the dwindling population of Edge users this morning as their browser began bleating at them in a variety of languages. In a surprising turn of events, the support forums for Microsoft's Edge were swiftly filled with customers complaining that the language of the browser had mysteriously changed. …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Facepalm

"click the cog in the top right of the web page"

Oh, right. We fucked up so you just reset your settings to the proper thing. Of course. It's not like you're the maker of the #1 OS used in the world, how could you possibly have the means of correcting your own mistakes ?

Ah, Microsoft. Where would we be without you ?

On a stable system, apparently.

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
      Coat

Re: "click the cog in the top right of the web page"

Just a minor cog up.

2. Blockchain commentard

only a small subset of users were impacted - because only a small number of users use Edge?

1. simonlb Silver badge

It's an edge case

2. Sgt_Oddball
      Trollface

Yes...

All 4 of them....

3. dvvdvv

That might or might not explain why Chechen terrorists were making notes in Czech in a US TV series…

4. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge
    Joke

I encountered a similar problem, but it was with content going *from* the browser back to the web server...the Czech is in the POST

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Definition of Edge

The browser you use to download Firefox or Chrome.

6. LenG

Number of users?

"Heck, at time of writing one topic had clocked up 143 views and 19 replies. Who knew?"

So, 19 users and 124 people who browse the forum to laugh at them?

7. Bronek Kozicki
    Facepalm

Do licha, mój plan się wydał!

Bugger, I've been found out!

8. Robert E A Harvey

"My name is Bob and I use Edge"

Actually Chredge.

And only for my castbox podcast listening, because tthe player bit doesn't work in Firefox, and I CBA to find out why.

9. pavel.petrman
    Joke

Cyber warfare

I say, the whole situation has recently been getting really out of hand in Middle East.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here too

Two of three W10 computers in this office defaulted to MSN with some kind of Arabic script in Explorer.

The third - mine - is set to show a blank page when a new tab is opened.

None of us even thought to check Edge.

Did a sanity check with other sites. No problem, except speedtest.net chose the "closest" server to our ISP (based in UK) as being in Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds more like a GeoIP issue on MSN than a configuration issue in the browser. For example, the webpage in my IE set to English gives me the weather wherever it thinks I'm located, not according to the browser settings. That they said they got the weather for Bohemia strongly points to a server-side issue. Also shows nobody using Chrome or Firefox connects to msn.com.

12. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

One of our customers (in Capetown) reported that their 'web turned Arabic' and it looked like what you'd get in Dubai. I had a quick look remotely and found nothing wrong, all settings were correct and the problem had gone away. The customer thought they had a virus and panicked, losing half an hours' work time.

13. TeeCee Gold badge
    Facepalm

….fired up a copy of the Chromium-based Brave

And you sark at Edge for its minority user base why exactly?

14. D@v3
    Stop

Czech your information

We had a number of users yesterday reporting that their computers had 'gone Polish'. After a brief investigation it turned out they were all Czech. I wonder how many of the reported 'Arabic, Polish and Russian' examples were just poorly identified by end users that were paranoid that the foreigns had come to take their jobs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like