back to article Face-recognizing cop body cams hit another hurdle, genderless voice assistants, and more

Let's catch up with recent goings on in the world of artificial intelligence. California set to ban face-recognition from police body cams: The proposed Body Camera Accountability Act, a law bill that seeks to ban cops from wearing face-recognizing cameras for three years, has passed the California Senate. It's now over to …

1. druck Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Genderless Voice

A world not defined by gender - what a load of Bolovaries!

2. A K Stiles

Accents?

It'd be nice if they could try and create a range of accents too. I was going to say accentless, but I'm not sure that's possible?

There's something I find mildly irritating about the Q voice though I'm not sure quite what it is - possibly artefacts of the post processing they've done to push it to 'gender-less' ?

3. Stuart Halliday
    WTF?

When I listened to Q. My mind at first identified it as male then female and then back and forth as various sexes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I played it in the office - I thought it was female, my colleague swears it was male!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Q

To my ears, the Q voice sounded masculine with deliberate feminine overtones. Not genderless but more gender complete.

I think we should ask Jean-Luc Piccard for his views. He has more experience than most with Q.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Q

Or (the still male) James Bond 007 ... while M has displayed gender fluidity I think Q has always been male (and the idea of having the original Q as the voice of one of these devices sounds quite attractive!)

5. BenjaminHare

Welcome to Hell

Having always wondered what voice announcements in Hell would sound like, I applaud these engineer's for creating something so bland, flat, and devoid of any identifiable characteristics. Bravo. I can easily imagine Q saying helpful things like "It rubs the lotion on it's skin" and "I'm sorry, Dave, but I can't let you do that."

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you create a voice assistant and don't use the voice of HAL then you are doing it wrong.

7. SeanH

Indeed, voice cloning technology can be used for scams - when the technology allows access to unverified individual users. On the other hand, it can help content creators from industries like film, game development, and media to scale voices easier, and even empower people with voice problems. This is how this technology amazingly works. But in order to maintain project integrity and ethics, companies must seriously take responsibility for their security.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like