back to article Microsoft releases first flaky iPhone app

Those well known Apple fanboys down at the Microsoft ranch have released the company’s first application for the iPhone before adding the app to its own Windows-based mobile platform. Seadragon Mobile hit Apple’s App Store on Saturday. However soon after Redmond admitted that it hadn’t all gone quite to plan because the most …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. muttley

Broke...

“The 'Browse Photosynth' functionality broke right after we submitted the app to the AppStore,”

So shite, sooo Microsoft LOL.

AND I'm a Windows guy with an office full of WM-powered smartphones...

2. moylan
    Alien

a ms app that's crap?

unhead off!

buggy software from ms. it speaks volumes that they didn't release it for their own platform first.

3. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

they screwup all their releases

so what's the news angle ?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Eh?

I thought Apple's oh-so-stringent vetting process was supposed to catch buggy apps before they got accepted into to the AppStore?

Shows just how closely Apple actually tests an app before accepting it (or not).

5. Conor Turton
    Thumb Up

How to get funding for BETA testing

Heh-heh...get the apple fanbois to do the beta testing of the service and pay for the privilege before rolling it out to Windows Mobile free of charge.

6. Robert Grant

I assume Apple didn't allow the software to be released, then

Given that it's vetted by QA and all that.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Who cares...

... whether it works, does it look pretty?

8. Dennis
    Boffin

Really broke ...

“The 'Browse Photosynth' functionality broke right after we submitted the app to the AppStore”

I don' think so.

Try again.

The 'Browse Photosynth' functionality was always broken, but we only noticed right after we submitted the app to the AppStore.

9. Colin Millar
    Pirate

Last minute bug?

I know that project plan - debug and error testing time = buffer zone for dev time overruns

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. TeeCee Gold badge

@Dennis

I was pondering that one myself. I was working on a theory involving the intervention of invisible bug pixies at the AppStore, but your explanation seems so much more elegant that I won't bother developing this one further.

Only one question remains then. WTF's a "Photosynth" and why would I want to browse one?

12. Patrick
    Thumb Up

Seems good to me

I've downloaded it - it's quite good - the pan & zoom are fast.

User interface is pretty standard iphone.

The only thing I don't like is the "Microsoft livelabs Seadragon" watermark in the top left corner of the screen.

Will be a lot better when they get Photosynth to work (which I could never get to work on my PC).

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@eh?

Why would Apple be responsible for the testing of all of the apps that are released for the iPhone?

If they did test them then half would never get released as they would be found to be buggy and then we'll get a load of stories from people demanding to know why the can't run whatever software they like on their own iPhone, however brain dead the software is.

Anyway all of that kind of software should be popping up on Android any day now, and good luck to them.

Dunno what the fanboi baiters are going to say now that their company - mikrosoff - are releasing software for the enemy.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Title

I just had a look on the photosynth site and even had a look at the instructional video.

Once done a "photosynth" does look really pretty but then is there even a way to use your "creations" in a webpage or do people have to sign up to the photosynth site to view your album?

I've never actually came across it until this article. Looks fairly useless. I'm assuming it uses silverlight in some way. Seems like a lot of effort to take all of the images when there's no real use for them.

Maybe if you could put them into a website in some way it could be useful in certain cases. Without looking into it further I would hope you can atleast use it on your silverlight website. Not that i've seen anything other than a MS site that makes use of it so far.

15. Dennis
    Joke

@TeeCee

I can't see it being "invisible bug pixies" But I went for the lazy option.

Seadragon project manager: Have you tested the app?

Programer: Yeah, yeah. Lots of testing.

Other programer: What a dork. What does he users are for? Testing - couldn't be arsed.

But on reflection, the lazy option is too simple. There's probably something in the iPhone kernel that notices the origin of the app and if Redmond it activates the well programing construct - the "if ... then ... maybe" statement.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

B*st*rds

Apple are b*st*rds. No wait, M$ are b*st*rds. No wait... ah f*ck it. They're all b*st*rds.

17. Mark
    Happy

Very un-Microsoft

The app is free!

18. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Meh

MS release a crap app... That's unpossible. Oh wait no it's MS so business as usual, never mind. Nothing to see here people, move along... move along.

19. Snert Lee

Mohh-havvv-vvaaayyyy!

According to the TV ads, Photosynth is supposed to be one of Vista/Mohave's killer apps. Never knew there was that much demand for making giant panoramas, but there ya go.

20. Robin
    Happy

@Dennis

"What does he users are for?"

And that's why we test stuff!

Just sayin', like.

21. Paul
    Thumb Down

duh

CLAP CLAP FOR THE HANDICAP!!!

22. N

Yes but

This is the public beta test,

Im surprised its free, but there you go. No doubt SP1 will be rushed out soon all 650 terrabytes of it

23. Adam Williamson
    Thumb Down

When's the first non-flaky one coming then?

"Microsoft releases first flaky iPhone app"

Unless you meant they carefully delineate their iPhone application product line into "flaky", "non-flaky", and...I don't know..."strawberry", you probably meant:

"Microsoft releases flaky first iPhone app"

Look, I'm sorry to nitpick, but grammar is important! Especially for journalists! Come on!

24. Matthew Flint
    Gates Horns

But why?

Given that the iPhone is both gorgeous and shiny, why on earth would I soil such a lovely device with a piece-of-sh!t app from the Redmond mob? FFS, couldn't they have come up with something more interesting than that?

25. Mark

I loaded this.

10 minutes later, my iPhone just comes up with these red rings of death.. Good to see Microsoft keeping to their tradition of producing turds.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Sounds like...

Sounds like the kind of crap you would get pre-installed with your new mac as opposed to the kind of crap MS would release.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like