back to article Australia didn't blame China for parliament hack in case it upset trade relations – report

Australian snoops concluded that China was to blame for a series of hacks on its parliament and leading political parties – but kept it quiet for fear of angering the Middle Kingdom, according to reports. The February cyber-attack saw Aussie MPs told to reset their passwords, with officials publicly insisting that no data had …

1. Azerty

Can the "Five Eyes" be trusted with attribution

Especially now in time of rising tension and Australian doing it's best to show it's a reliable partner to the US. US doing all it can to isolate China and scare the world about them.

1. Gordon 10

Re: Can the "Five Eyes" be trusted with attribution

Not really relevant.

No State Actor can be trusted.

2. Youngone Silver badge

Australia has the same problem New Zealand has. They need to balance their relationships with both the US and China.

The leader of New Zealand's main opposition party has just come back from visiting the head of China's secret police. He took with him the Chinese spy who sits in our parliament.

I do not know quite what the Americans think of all that, but I don't imagine they're happy.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/398538/simon-bridges-reveals-what-he-said-when-asked-about-communist-party-of-china

1. veti Silver badge

Meh. The Americans are the ones who have turned their backs on the South Pacific, why should we care what they think any more?

And Bridges is a loser, but he's right: it makes perfect sense for NZ politicians to form relationships with powerful figures in the Chinese government. After all, it's an extremely stable government - someone with power there now is very likely to still be in place after the next two NZ elections, which is more than you can say for the US.

1. Youngone Silver badge

It does make sense for Mr. Bridges to make contact with important members of the Chinese government, that is true.

The head of their secret police is an odd choice however.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

After all, it's an extremely stable government

Stability is not necessarily the best metric to use when considering relations with a foreign power that is magnitudes bigger than you. A better place might be to start with cui bono..

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Practically, how could a country member of the Five Eyes that routinely spy on the whole world start whining because they've been spied upon?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

absorbing around a third of China's total exports every year.

Australia takes a third of all Chinese exports!? :-o

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Stop

Re: absorbing around a third of China's total exports every year.

I also find that hard to believe. China taking a third of our (Aussie) exports I could easily imagine, but the other way round, I doubt it...

4. llaryllama

Frustrating

China has never been and will never be a particularly good partner to any other country, especially not Western democracies. I've said it at least ten times and I'll say it ten more, why are Europe, Australia and the US tripping over themselves to get shafted by China?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Frustrating

Because... China can , in the near term, lower your costs and increase your profits. In the long term, however, they steal your products and secrets, undercut your prices and take your customers.

Tell a CEO and BOD that they will meet or exceed wall street expectations for the next 4 quarters, and thats all they want to hear.... future be damned....

2. Gordon 10

Re: Frustrating

It's not that simple.

Very few countries are good partners with each other - not whilst one has something the other has. And frankly the Chinese have got a few hundred years to go before they match the worst excesses of the Western powers.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

the Chinese have got a few hundred years to go before they match the worst excesses of the Western powers

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/maos-great-leap-forward-killed-45-million-in-four-years-2081630.html

5. Harry Stottle

"We have been harmonised: Life in China's surveillance state" by Kai Strittmatter

slightly off topic but am halfway through this on my Kindle, and it's truly shocking.

As a long term opponent of authoritarian regimes I thought I already had a handle on what China was up to on the inside. I was wrong. Big time.

Their current dictatorship is much cleverer than Mao and has achieved a degree of control, particularly over the control of dissent, and the citizen's awareness of their own history which makes Big Brother look like a rank amateur. Their crude but effective dominance of their internet and technology sector is way beyond what I imagined possible for those with an authoritarian mindset. And you can see that their "success" - particularly in social control - is already becoming a model for our own authoritarians to aspire to. The only thing we've currently got in our favour is that our authoritarians are nowhere near as intelligent and organised as theirs...

1. redpawn

Re: "We have been harmonised: Life in China's surveillance state" by Kai Strittmatter

for now

6. nematoad
    Headmaster

Not quite.

"...and the opposition Labour party."

It is actually "The Labor Party"

I have no idea why they chose the US spelling.

Sorry, my pedantry is really playing up today :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      IT Angle

Re: Not quite.

It might have just been a branding excercise, to make sure the Aussie Labor Party was kept distinct from the British Labour Party in the news.

And imagine how much Oz has saved on ink over the years by not having to print that extra vowel. With the cost of printer cartridges being what it is, the savings probably run into billions!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

meh, it could have been worse....

It's not like they placed StingRay devices around their capital building or anything that severe.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: meh, it could have been worse....

Ah yes, whatabuttism

8. sanmigueelbeer
    Joke

What is the fuss?

Had Australia installed Huawei infrastructure in the Parliament House network, no of this "hacking attempt" shenanigans would've happened.

1. RunawayLoop

Re: What is the fuss?

I liked your comment but really there's no need for Huawei anymore.

PM Shouty is bringing CCP agents straight in the front door, into the highest level of government.

Won't be long before enough follow to control Oz on behalf of their masters.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Australia didn't blame China for hack in case it upset trade.

So, the NSA told GCHQ to tell ASD to say it was Chinese hackers.

“The five sources declined to be identified due to the sensitivity of the issue”

So, we're just making this up.

“The report .. recommended keeping the findings secret in order to avoid disrupting trade relations with Beijin”

Then why release this report to Reuters, cause if the Chinese read it they'll be upset and stop trading with Australia.

“The timing of the attack .. coming after the cyber-attack on the U.S. Democratic Party”

The so-called DNC hack was a fable thought up to explain how Hilary Clinton lost the election to Donald Trump.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Our happy Clappy creepy Christian PM

Probably the sort to see the Chinese as harmless.

1. Denarius

Re: Our happy Clappy creepy Christian PM

AC, not as chilling as a previous government noted for its materialists adoring the zombie of marxism that allowed known organised crime figures into country, then defended it with ethnic bigotry accusations. BTW what exactly is creepy about his private beliefs ?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you want your devices

you'll pretend this didn't happen just like your gov did.

Now go back to buying our stuff so we can afford to take over the world. (oops, didn't mean to say that out loud)

China

12. iced.lemonade

state of affair

a little bit off-topic.

china's surveillance and control on citizen is much deeper than most westerners could imagine.

every thing you do in real life, keywords that you search on search engines, everything thing you said on anti-social networks, everything you buy online and everything else that are relatable to you contribute to a point-based system run by the state, which dictates what you can do, including if you are given suitable medical care and if you can travel abroad. if your points are too low then, sorry, you are in deep trouble.

every corner in big cities are covered with state-operated cameras - even bbc has a documentary that said once you are tagged as a criminal in the state-operated security system, it only take 7 minute for the police to find you out and arrest you.

enjoy the freedom that you are enjoying, and i really hope that your country won't become the next china.

1. W.S.Gosset

Re: state of affair

> and if you can travel abroad.

Much harder/harsher than that, actually.

You can't even buy a domestic train or bus ticket if your Social Credit score is too low. Various well-documented instances already.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like