back to article Microsoft takes ExpressRoute to orbit to sling Azure services at backwaters via satellite

Microsoft has buddied up with a trio of satellite operators to hook up its Azure cloud to locations lacking connectivity. ExpressRoute is aimed at extending an on-premises network into Microsoft's cloud via a private connection courtesy of a connection provider. Rather than the public internet, express routes keep things …

1. jonfr

Data over satellite

They must be using Ka band for data. It is on 26,5 to 40Ghz and is only used for data transfers. I don't know how much coverage they have or if this band is in use in the United States. This band is used in Europe for data transfers over satellite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ka_band

2. TheVogon

" "fibre-like" performance"

Like a fibre ~ 70,000KM long presumably.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's not that bad. Light in fibre-optic cables travels a much longer distance than across a microwave link. Granted, the Intelsat birds fly much higher than, say, StarLink, but they can make up some of the disadvantage compared to terrestial links.

3. macjules
    Facepalm

All this is..

.. is simply yet another excuse for more Azure failure.

Network Status:

North America: Down

Reason: Satellite collision with one of Musk’s

4. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Priorities

Maybe they should focus on eliminating their global single points of failure before worrying about the next billion users.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Priorities

My shoppe's workload is so mission-critical we're looking at a DR site on the moon as the Earth has been assessed as single point of failure risk.

5. Jay Lenovo

Up-time is relative here

Just the start of the new "Oort" cloud computing model.

6. Denarius
    Meh

computer crash may have more unnerving meaning then

with stuff more likely to collide as well as Redmonds offerings. To give illusion of fairness, Redmonds OS seems to more about freezing computers while 100% CPU happens for 10 seconds on one core while the others sit there and watch rather than a BSOD. Reminds me of early multiCPU HPUX boxes.

I digress. With 5G and this, snooping will be so much easier.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like